Have you ever played/sung your child’s wedding or similar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

So 5 years ago I surprised everyone at my daughter’s wedding by singing Freddy Fender’s version of “Before the Next Teardrop Falls” during my speech. A cappella. Only my wife and the dj knew it was coming. When I slipped into perfect Spanish for the appropriate section, the groom’s side went berserk (he’s Hispanic).
    Now I’ve a strong sense my other daughter may be announcing impending nuptials soon. Ive called her Sunshine since birth, and I plan on performing John Denver’s “Sunshine on my Shoulders” as a surprise. Now that I can play (sic) guitar, I will. It will be the 2nd time I’ve sung to a crowd. Teardrop was the first (not counting two or three drunken karaoke songs). It will be the first time I play guitar to a crowd (if in fact the nuptials happen and I don’t chicken out).
    Anybody do anything similar? How’d it go?

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I accompanied myself in performance of "I hope you dance" as part of my speech at my daughter's wedding. Later my band played a couple of hours in the evening. Went down well and we really enjoyed it. Did not have to take the gear home until the next day either!

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I played/sang that "There Is Love" thing at my sister's wedding. And some instrumental stuff at a cousin's wedding

I've done a few songs at funerals, too. That can be rough

4. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Not exactly the same, but twenty years ago, my parents had a 25th Wedding Anniversary party with all their friends. It was a lovely gathering, in their huge backyard in England. I was 21 I think. I played a couple songs for the crowd, solo on my Dad's old Yamaha acoustic (the guitar I learned to play on). Many of the guests were music industry people, bands, performers, etc (my Dad is a record producer). I was honored to be able to contribute to their special day.

They're still married - 45 years in June!

Alter and Bluego1 like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve played and sung at countless weddings, and funerals, but never for a relative.
    My daughter is unmarried.
    About a year ago, one of my old bands regrouped to play before, and after the wedding of a dear friend.
    I sang Elvis’ Can’t Help Falling as the couple walked up the aisle (at the Saxon Pub).
    I was honored and humbled to be asked to.
    It was a joy!

tah1962 and Bluego1 like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The very first time I ever played a wedding I accompanied a singer doing that very song!
    I, and the couple getting married (high school classmates) were 19.
    I love weddings, everyones happy, pay is usually good (unless it’s your gift), food is great, drinks are free, bridesmaids are lovely, and everyone dances!

Bluego1 and blowtorch like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

and often hot to trot ;)

brookdalebill and Bluego1 like this.
  8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

My band played at both my kids weddings.....2 of my fave memories.

tah1962, Bluego1 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Wedding no, but when I became best man a few years back, me, the groom and my guitar went to serenade the bride the night before.

It went very well, people at balconies etc. :) .. but they have this custom to throw flour at you afterwards, and my Taylor 810 wouldn't have liked that .. we escaped successfully in a timely manner!

Bluego1 and brookdalebill like this.
  10. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I sang "Time in a Bottle" to my wife at our wedding.

Bluego1 and tah1962 like this.
  11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Not at my son or daughter’s wedding. But, at my little sister’s wedding, me and a friend of mine did an acoustic version of “I’ll still be loving you” by Restless Heart.

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I helped by brother-in-law do 'Till My Last Day by Justin Moore at his first wedding as a surprise. He sang, I played and sang backup . Just us and 2 acoustic guitars. That was the first time I'd ever attempted to sing in front a crowd lol.

The performance went better than the marriage.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I refuse to play a bride’s first wedding...second or third marriage? No problem...

...but in a first wedding, that girl has been planning this event out since she was three years old—and I want no part of *anything* that could go wrong on that day.

EDIT: I do not expect—in fact, I hope and pray—that my daughter doesn’t have to get married more than once...as mentioned below, she is not married and is barely of legal age—but if she asked me to play something for her wedding, I’d gladly do it. My comments above are regarding requests from brides who’ve requested my band to play their wedding...I won’t play a first wedding.

To answer your question;
    My daughter is not married—and (thankfully) has ignored or deflected the guys that have come sniffing around...she’s too young, anyway.

I love her attitude regarding romance, etc...She says, “Boys my age are idiots. I have a lot of things to do, and they’d only slow me down...*if* I meet ‘the guy,’ I gotta watch him long enough to make sure I can stand his crap...so, I have at least three or five years before I am going to start serious looking...in the meantime, I’m watching...”

I love that girl.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    john_cribbin and Bluego1 like this.
  14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Even if I’d screwed up royally, it would have been my daughter’s favorite part of the wedding. In their eyes, I can do no wrong. We’re really tight. To this day, her reaction brings tears to my eyes. I’m excited to do it again, but really nervous about the guitar part:).

15. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

My dad and I played an instrumental arrangement for two guitars of Streisand’s Evergreen at my sister’s wedding. It went really well. I was extremely nervous as she had a pretty big wedding and the arrangement was frickin hard. But good memories for all involved.

Stubee and Bluego1 like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I sang at both my parent's funerals/interments...I did some John Denver stuff with my 12 string at Mom's graveside bc that's what she wanted.

17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Wrote something for my oldest for her wedding and it morphed into this:

After I walked her down the aisle, at the front the Pastor asked the Q: "who gives this woman to be wed to this man?: this played instead. I was a crying mess for two days. Happy tears.

18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I had a prerecorded version of me singing Tim McGraw's "My Little Girl" to a karaoke back track that the DJ played for the father/daughter dance at my daughter's wedding. I was blubbering like a 10 year old girl. No way I'd have made it through singing it live. Took me several takes to get through recording it as it was. More power to you if you can pull it off live. I"m sure it will be very well received.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

My brother and I have been performing in public for well over 45 years each. In 2007, our mother passed away at Christmas. We were tasked with playing at her memorial service, the hymn, "Lord of the Dance," on guitar and flute. It was particularly hard, but the knowledge that hymn was her favorite, and we were honoring her memory inspired me, and, I assume, my brother to do our very best. The minister, after it was over, said in his 40 odd years of service that this was the first time there was applause at a funeral. Kinda made the day! I know she was smiling down.

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I was in three bands playing at my own wedding!

Barely spoke to my new bride all night... but she had her mates to talk to and I could avoid them!

Was recruited for a family wedding recently - father and mother of bride both popular musicians so they did a set at the reception... fun gig. Everyone up and dancing mum and dad all dressed in the wedding clothes. :)

I comp’d them the fee and expenses it was so nice.

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.