Have you ever looked in a mirror...

miguelalmeida

Tele-Meister
Funny thread,
I often paint portraits in a realistic fashion,
It’s amazing how people think they look like and how they really are. In my opinion people spend most of their mirror moments staring at their “elegant “ side/profile , unconsciously ignoring that faces aren’t symmetrical at all.

and selfies are so boring from an artistic perspective

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Having been a non-smoker and a competitive swimmer for 50+ of my 65 years, I am told that I look young, and my hair is all dark, ( also didn't drink much) however I am balding. Most don't see the growing patch as I am tall. However I hate photos of me being taken. The baldness REALLY shows. Oh well. That's life ( still avoid photographs ).;)

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
I look and I'm happy to see my dad's face looking out at me. Classic case of, he spat I grew. I sometimes wonder where my mums gene pool came along, maybe it's the blue eyes, and the ginger moustache part of my beard lol.

61fury

Friend of Leo's
The mirrors at home are the most kind, my hair looks golden, the lighting is soft. In photos, Zoom meetings, anywhere else in the rest of the world I am white haired and gaunt. Well except for my crappy phone camera, it knows how to flatter me.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
Well, you might not know it to look at me now
I was Cary Grant handsome with charm and style
Could outsmart Einstein at time and space
But now I get the feeling that I’m losing a race

Life happens and time goes by
Mirror, mirror what a cruel surprise
Relatively speaking its my own demise

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I don't think you can see yourself in the mirror. It's like when it's late at night, and you think you see someone lurking but it's actually a trash can. I think the mind just makes little adjustments to your vision so you can't see yourself as you are. I look at the guy in the mirror that passes for me now, and I think, I can live with that. Then I see a pic of myself someone takes when I'm out on the same day, and I wonder how did I get that old since this morning?

Yeah, I've noticed that the man in the mirror is a lot better looking than the man in the selfie.

(Selfies with the grandkids)

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
I've looked in the mirror but mostly and only, and the most mirror looking spent, is when playing guitar, and this was a great tip from my guitar teachers in my teenage years. When you're a teenager you look good anyways...to everyone... ;) the important thing was that I saw my fingers pressing the strings ASIDE whenever fretting a chord. Chords sounded sour, unintonated, out-of-tune or all three.

Very, very bad habit that I had to get rid of

Only by constant vigilant and get both how it looked, felt and especially FELT when pressing down exactly nailed on on top of the string without inadvertently bending the string. First after quite a while, couple of years, I'd learn to hear and fret properly, and didn't bend if I shouldn't. Later on it was the opposite, when doing country bends: TWO FINGERS MUST STAY STILL, while the index finger is bending up from 2nd to major 3rd. I had to watch it, feel it, rinse and repeat from the mistake until it was "honed off" and "honed".

At the same time, I did look at my face in the mirror, we had no video cameras, or cell phones to record moving mugshots. But I was looking if I did any tics with my mouth whenever reaching a struggling part on guitar. Tounge-in-cheek literarely, or tics or forming my mouth along the travel of a wah pedal. I learned to have that poker face, at least no "embouchure" with my lips. No matter how hard the lick... I mean... guitar lick... not lick with the tounge and mouth...

That's what a mirror should be used for for all guitarists, still in their beginner years.

If you asked about that "oldness" in the mirror. Well, when I was 14 I managed once to go and buy booze, alcohol, beer, and they did not ask for any ID. I did tell no one about this though... :twisted: so so much for that...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I think there's a "subset" category to this subject, and that's the photos of other people in the obituary columns. I read them faithfully every day, and I'm often taken back by someone who is my age, (and often younger) who looks like my grandfather. The thing with obit pics, is they CAN be old photos of the subject in their youth (sometimes the family will use a high school graduation picture for a sixty year old person) but if a current pic, they usually look "ancient". I'm sure glad I haven't "aged" like those folks. ;););)

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I'm 70, and I'm often told I don't look it. OK, fine. I'm sure I used to have a lot more hair, and I don't remember getting out of breath from putting my socks on.

A friend of my daughter's took a picture of me playing with a bunch of youngsters at a bar a while back. My guitar was pretty far out there from where I thought my stomach should have been. Not a flattering angle.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Fates Warning lyrics:

"In the four corners of life are the golden mirrors
Reflecting what you are and what you are to be
In the first is a young boy white dove in
His hand, in the second is a warrior in armor
In the third is the old man gold watch
In his hand fourth and last
No reflection at all
No reflection at all
No reflection at all"

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Weezer, Good Life. Makes me laugh.

"When I look in the mirror, I can't believe what I see
Tell me, who's that funky dude staring back at me?...
And I don't wanna be an old man anymore
It's been a year or two since I was out on the floor
Shakin' booty, makin' sweet love all the night
It's time I got back to the good life..."