1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you ever had this experience..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LesTele, Mar 6, 2021.

1. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

Both really. I’ve learned to ask for a general set list so I can go over them prior

2. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

yeah definitely. One of the members actually said, “you didn’t give home the set list beforehand?!”

the covers were all my favorites...Buck Owens, Chris Stapleton, Waylon Jennings, etc. that’s what was so frustrating for me was I know and love those songs band use to play them but have forgotten the exact fills and stuff. I recently was playing in a more classic rock band recently so filled my brain with mostly stones, Eddie money, Beatles, etc...

drmordo, Flat6Driver and GGardner like this.
  3. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I know, right? They actually told me, “the 1 key is the tonic or home “ as if I was a total beginner. I’m so tempted to request their set list after the fact. Get the 30 or songs down pat which I can easily do, and see if I can jam with them again in two weeks. Just to show them that they got the wrong idea of me.

4. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

Haha that’s hilarious. I bet he/she felt so dumb

5. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

yeah, not asking beforehand was definitely a mistake on my part

6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Life's too short to spend your time in a cover band - time to go "left shark"

LesTele likes this.
  7. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

'Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn'

Being really well prepped isn't uncool- it's shows professionalism, whatever level you're at. If you ask and the band are sneery or dismissive, then they aren't taking their music seriously- and the band will go nowhere.

Take yourself seriously and others will too. Good luck.

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

If nothing else it'll focus you for the next time you play those songs.

LesTele likes this.
  9. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, you not having the setlist beforehand should have set their expectations pretty low. They should have been looking at whether you are capable of playing the songs rather than can you currently play the songs.

Absolutely. Some people you just don't mesh with, and those guys didn't sound super cool with the way they handled the audition.

I've played guitar for 30+ years and have gigged on and off over that time. I am 100% certain I could not show up at a gig without a setlist and play all the intros and licks correctly. Heck, I don't even want to. I rarely learn "licks" from songs unless they are integral to the structure of the song.

LesTele and dogmeat like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It sounds like they want someone who knows those songs. If they were popular songs I guess that makes sense, but I always thought giving an audition guy maybe 6 songs to be prepared for is a better shot at evaluating someone.

LesTele, drmordo and BerkshireDuncan like this.
  11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I can definitely understand being unwilling to let it slide. You did understand me correctly; I'm not advocating any evil but a comeuppance might be in order especially if these are people that you know or who are in your general orbit. Still might not be a happy, long term, fit. At least everyone will be properly informed.

LesTele likes this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

BTW, my friend Harry named this partscaster of mine "The Less Tele": 20151224_204332.jpg
    You can take that for what it's worth.

northernguitar and LesTele like this.
  13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I obviously don't know this band, but proceed with caution. They may view you as desperate, which is rarely a good thing.

I know a commercial actress who was so desperate for exposure that she went on a dating-themed reality show. When she told me about it afterward, she said it was a humiliating experience because the show's editing unfairly portrayed her as an idiot.

Then she said she was considering calling the producers and asking them to bring her on again, so she could redeem herself.

WHAT???

I talked her out of it.

LesTele and drmordo like this.
  14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I've never auditioned without having some idea of the set list. If a possible new band didn't offer to send me at least a few songs/keys I'd assume they weren't that bothered and probably react accordingly.

Just put it down to experience.

drmordo likes this.
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cheesy but true, you can learn a Lot from your mistakes!

Get back out there and kick some ass!!!

-ST

LesTele likes this.
  16. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I like it! Looks like my natural finish warming tele

17. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The only time I auditioned for a band was when I was 17. I think the audition was not so much to see what songs I played, but how quickly I could learn their songs. No song list, no chart. I was just supposed to learn it on the spot. I was let down gently. I heard the band perform about a year later and they were really good - I don't know if I could have kept up.

LesTele likes this.
  18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

of yeah the same thing has happened to me- In truth I am not that good but I also realize I have no interest in playing with people who don't play the way you do - one more reason why original music is the way to go

LesTele likes this.
  19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

It happened to me once when I was trying to learn to play bass in a pinch. I sucked at bass. Lol. It happens.

MickM likes this.
  20. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I love playing in bands with original material. I really feel like the artistry and creativity really come out. I have nothing against playing covers though just wanna be prepared before hand. When I was in a cover band pre-COVID, I would play the intros, fills and verses as played in the recording but would typically do my own thing in the solos which I really enjoyed.

thanks for every one of these responses. Proves to me the TDPRI has some of the coolest people around

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.