1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you ever had this experience..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LesTele, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Absolutely!

OP, I couldn't quite tell from your post whether the learning was to prepare a little more, or just to ask more questions ahead of the audition to get a better feel of what's expected of you.

Either way, please don't feel bad, we've all been there! And what is it they say about wisdom? Can't get it without experience, and you can't get experience without some bad stuff along the way. Or something like that...

LesTele and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the first band I auditioned for I got kicked out by the third gig. I had switched from guitar to bass to drums. It was awful and my drumming chops were honestly garbage. I couldn't practice because I didn't own a drum set. They paid me my 300 I earned and I hitchhiked home.

3. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Sucks. Sorry. Next time, tell the band to give you a list of songs they play. They'd probably be more than happy to do so. I'm just curious, do you remember any of the songs?

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

If I knew what the learning was, I’d be a professional actor now, instead of a salesman! :D

No, I think both things you mention are good take-aways from a situation like that, with the emphasis on preparation. If I had asked for more info, the answer likely would have been “it’s in the brochure.” In the end, you can either see an “unsuccessful” audition as a failure, or say to yourself “hey, I didn’t get the gig, but they wanted to see what I had.”

5. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 Tele-Meister

Never auditioned for a band, but had a busy amateur theater thing going as a younger adult. Auditioned a lot for that.

I would advise anyone to audition as often as possible. It's a learning experience for you and a good chance to see what others are up to as well. If you don't get the part, oh well. Not every production is a good fit. I always felt like the way the audition was being conducted was their audition for me. I've made up my mind not to accept parts based on the shoddy way the audition was held.

So you didn't make this one. No sweat. Don't give up and maybe the next one will be a better fit.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I used to take it personally. Then I went to audition for a band that could not have been anything but a bad fit. Nobody to blame, least of all me, but I was definitely out of my element and I knew it immediately. So I acquiesced, explained why, they thanked me for my honesty, and kindly allowed me to hang out and enjoy what they were putting down.
    I haven't taken it personally since. Sometimes it's just a bad fit.
    As as to the jerk that said you weren't up to their ability, you need to show him something that he can take personal.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I will jam with a band to see if we “gel.” But if they put me on a stage and say, “Play this,” I’m putting my guitar back in the case pretty quickly.

Unless it were a Slim Harpo/Muddy Waters/Fabulous Thunderbirds cover band, I’d never pass an audition that expect the songs to be played “as recorded...”

...and even in those particular cases, I still won’t/can’t play it “exactly right.”
    Whatever.

You need a good blues/outlaw country slide guitarist/harp player/rhythm/occasional lead guitarist for your band?
    I’d probably do pretty good.

You need me to cover a bunch of hits?
    I’ll be down the street at the Taco Stand.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Once, I was told by a guitarist who’d just joined my band, “You don’t play that song right!”

“Well, I wrote it, so...umm...”

He didn’t last very long.

MickM, drmordo, buster poser and 5 others like this.
  9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes it has. They had expectations you didn't meet. Get better.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

1,4,5's...

I'd go crazy if most were that way!

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's happened to everyone that's auditioned a few times. It's happened to me more than once.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

Looks like you weren't up to pair with their ability to be a bunch of jerks.

Fiesta Red, drmordo and LesTele like this.
  13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Form your own band. Find a drummer first.

Fiesta Red and LesTele like this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Shake it off. It's difficult at first, and it happens to all of us. And we are always our own worst critic, even when things have gone well.

It's not a failure on your part; it simply wasn't meant to be.

If you're not a covers sort of player and have your own style, a really great avenue to explore is originals projects. Keep an eye out in your local area for originals songwriters/bands looking for some guitarification of their stuff. I've fallen into a few pretty good situations with some talented folks this way.

Fiesta Red, buster poser and LesTele like this.
  15. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

ha ha... yeah, I was a no fit for a band that was writing all their own material. I played OK but not what they wanted since I don't really write. they were impressed that I could tune my guitar though (in the days before electronic tuners)

Fiesta Red, Telecastoff1 and LesTele like this.
  16. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

Very true

17. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

yeah, I think you hit the nail head on with that.

18. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This is hard to read this situation. Did they set you up to fail or did you set yourself up? If I'm jamming it's one thing, but if I'm auditioning, I expect to have the songs know (esp 145's) and some sense of what songs I'm going to be expected to play.

Youve got a lot of feedback here one shrugging it off but might be good to autopsy this to see where the shortfalls were for next time.

Good luck!

(I had an audition where I knew I didn't want to play with these guys. I prepped for it, but hot a vibe from the LG. I went through it and sent them a not when I got home. Been to other things that were far worse. )

19. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Sounds like maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Didn't you make it your business to ask (and agree) exactly what you would be playing? Don't worry that this looks uncool or amateur!

Did the singer really not offer any cues? From both sides of an audition, my BIG thing is get-along-ability. If bandmates are going to be too cool to look at you, interact, help the performance be the best it can- then it's never going to be great.

If you were left feeling like the gig was never going to be yours, then maybe that's the case- and one or more of the band already had someone lined up and you were just invited along for due diligence to pacify the sceptics.

Onwards and upwards.

Fiesta Red and LesTele like this.
  20. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

And it seems about 80% of today's music is a lot of 1, 4, 5 and 6 and nothing else, endlessly repeating the same changes through verses and choruses(!).

LesTele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.