1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you ever had this experience..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LesTele, Mar 6, 2021.

1. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I failed an audition today that I was really looking forward in playing. I was kinda nervous but mostly lost as I didn’t have the set list and barely knew the songs. I mean most were basic 145’s and I knew the key but knowing when the changes were gonna happen were throwing me off. Because I didn’t really know the songs that well there were a couple occasions where I played over some parts where the singer was still singing. They were asking me to play the intros of songs I didn’t know off the top of my head. I have a crap memory so remembering covers is kinda hard for me. I’m more of a lead play-your-own-thing type guy.

Overall, I feel pretty annoyed and disappointed as I know that wasn’t anywhere close to my ability. They actually stopped and said they didn’t think I was up to par with their ability...

Has this type thing ever happened to you? Tell me to make feel better please

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Once or twice.

EugeneWeemich likes this.
  3. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Doesn't sound like it was a good fit.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just part of life.
    Rub some dirt in it, walk it off, learn everything you can from what happened, come back stronger.

5. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

So they didn't give you any set list to at least get familiar with?
    It was just a cold audition with material you've never played?

6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Some days you are the windshield. Some days you are the bug. It’s part of life. Pick yourself up, learn (if you can) from it, move on to the next thing in your life and move forward. Like the one door closes and the next door opens

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

There will be more opportunities to come your way, just write this one off as a learning experience.
    Better luck on the next one.

Fiesta Red, cat dude and LesTele like this.
  8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I am a complete scrub who doesn’t play with other people or know any songs. I play well enough for sound checks and trying out pedals.

SacDAve, Fiesta Red, cat dude and 3 others like this.
  9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Sort of. Back when I really couldn’t play I had a vague test/audition-type thing for a Kiss cover band. I had never played a Kiss song in my life. I hope the guy is still laughing about it because I am.

10. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I think we should start a band then.

Fiesta Red and Richie Cunningham like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This happens to everyone. Auditions, college admissions, job interviews. We’re you ever rejected when you asked for a date? Sometimes someone else is chosen when choices are made.

You can improve your chances by being prepared. Do your research. Know the material you’ll need to master. A forced fit isn’t usually a good one. Pick your battles. You can’t win them all. Most importantly, not being chosen isn’t a negative reflection on you. There will be a next time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    VWAmTele, dented, Dereksys38 and 2 others like this.
  12. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

exactly. Thanks that makes me feel better

Masmus, Tyuk, DonM and 3 others like this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I stood in a roomful of a small group of important folks in NYC and they didn’t laugh when I was trying to be funny, they didnt like how I played or sang, and they didn’t applaud when I was finished, they basically said “next.”

I went downstairs and out on the street and had a slice of pizza with the guy that ended up getting the part. He was up soon and I gave him encouragement. I had spent my last dollar for the audition on travel and food expenses and not booking gigs for the couple days.

Then as I was walking down the street by the Ed Sullivan theatre, Melissa McCarthy came outside and I got to meet her and tell her how funny I thought she was and I took a picture of us together.

If I had gotten the part, I never would’ve met my Wife, so everything was exactly how it should have been.

14. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

thanks stringtree

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

haha

16. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

thanks jl

JL_LI likes this.
  17. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

great story!

1955 likes this.
  18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

However/whyever it happened, it sounds like the bottom line is that you weren't prepared.
    Sounds like this wasn't the gig for you.

Jimi Hendrix got fired mid-set from his first ever gig as a teenager. The band was trying to play music people could dance to, and Jimi was... well, you know, being Jimi. It was the wrong band for him. They found a guitarist more suited to their goals, he eventually put together a band more suited for his, and it all worked out.

19. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

That’s the way life is. The trick is to be able to see ahead of time that the difficult things that happen to us can also be the best things if we are willing to keep trying.

LesTele likes this.
  20. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

No one would ever want me to audition for a band, but I’m an actor. I once had an audition for a theatre company with “Royal” in its name. Just a bit intimidating. The call asked for one contemporary piece three minutes or less. I had one prepared, and I workshopped it hard to get ready. On the day, I do my thing, pretty well if I say so myself. They give me some direction, I do it again. Buddy converses with the others on the panel, then turns to me and says “that was great, do you have anything else?” I had nothing. I had focused so hard on doing what they asked, that I wasn’t ready for anything else.

The point of this is, I ran into a colleague a few days later (who got a lead in the same show, and its touring company). He asked how it went, and I said I sucked, and I wasn’t prepared enough. He said “did anyone get hurt?” What? “Was there a fire? Did they call the fire department or an ambulance?” Well, no... “So you didn’t burn the place down, nobody got hurt, and instead of asking you to leave, they wanted to see something else. Where’s the problem?”

He was absolutely right. Not every audition gets you the part, but every one of them teaches you something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.