Have You ever had a break from playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Mar 1, 2020.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Im not even 30 yet and should have a lot of inspiration with my young body and soul. I have been playing a few hours during the week, sometimes days without guitar. Mainly Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkings, Tool, some blues, grunge. I own two telecasters and been thinking of stratocaster again. However i feel shallow, like if someone had stolen my music heart in 2019 and my will to play is slowly decreasing so far. I don't known. They say that if i break i should at least keep one guitar and one amp, which is smart way to go. Guess ill keep one guitar and one amp. I might get rid of second amp and guitar. This means i wont be getting strat probably.

Have you ever had a break like this? How long?

String Tree likes this.
  2. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I didn’t really play for a few years until last year. Started around 2000. Slowed around 2009. Played hear and there at church. Started back last year playing every day. I can say if I’d have gotten rid of any of my guitars I would regret it. Amps come and go for me but all of my guitars have some sentimental value.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Pete Townshend had a lot of guitars break :cool:

4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Take a break, develop new interests - it's good for you.

Been playing since 1986 and there have been breaks of 10, 5, and 3 years mixed in.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell any gear you're bonded with.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I dont have my favourite guitar , i sold it because i needed money for university. It was my First tele. Standard mexican tele in Candy Apple Red and maple neck i had for 2 years. I share Your view

Loaded Goat likes this.
  6. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I completely turned my back on learning music and learning the guitar when I was ~ 20 years old, in the late 70's.
    Life issues, trauma and tragedy, blah blah blah.... :(

Gave away :eek: for free, my guitar and amp (early 70's cheap Silvertone stuff) to a wide eyed 14 year old kid.
    Wonder if he still has it and if he continued his (then) passion for it. Never saw him again, they moved away.

I did still listen to music tho.

Picked up guitar again in my early 30's and had the means to buy a brand new AM Std Strat. 1991
    Didn't really do much with it, just played (fooled around with it) at home, until ~ 2000 when I met the band I am in now.
    All of us amateurs and play for fun and the occasional gig. Basically just hobby musicians.
    We will never be "Pro" but friends and family say we sound pretty good for a bunch of amateurs.
    We play covers, classic rock and some "newer-ish" stuff.

All for fun and the occasional paying gig.

I do have Tele's now, of course.... ;)

Regret giving away the Silvertone but have since found one just like it so.... :)

Now in my early 60's and I can't see ever being without a guitar for however much time I have left.

7. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

My experience is similar to Engine Swap's, except that I've been playing since 1968. There have been intervals where either life took me on involuntary detours from playing my guitar, or I just wasn't feeling the "fire" for it-- as much as I hated that. Seems like each time I returned, however, I pushed through to a new level of my understanding of the instrument, and notable improvement in my playing, so I try to look at those "down times" as nothing more than "my system re-booting and recharging" in anticipation of making new and exciting strides. So, try not to panic when you feel your interest waning a bit; those cycles will happen, and just know that it'll come back around, and when it does, it'll be better than ever!

P Thought likes this.
  8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I lost my desire to play guitar after 30 years in 2012 and played ukulele exclusively for three years and then mandolin exclusively for three years after that. I sold my nice acoustic guitar to fund my ukulele purchases.

Then in the summer of 2018 I got a great Tele and that’s what I play every day now. I’ll ride this wave as long as possible.

However, I became a much better player after the uke and mandolin since I learned the fretboard on both instruments. I didn’t think to do that on guitar and now that I have it’s made guitar playing much more fun.

9. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I started playing in early 1995 but only on acoustic. I didn’t have my first electric guitar for a couple years. I’ve taken short breaks here and there just cause I got busy with other things in life but I’ve never gone years without playing. The longest was maybe a few months when we had a really busy year at work and I’d be out of town a lot and didn’t bring a guitar with me. That hasn’t happened in a long time though because I always bring a guitar with me now. I wouldn’t sell any equipment unless you just need the money. If you’re feeling stuck in a rut creatively or like you’re not advancing maybe try learning some music that is different from what you normally play just to expand your horizons a bit. Also if you have the ability taking some lessons might kickstart the interest again.

RoCkstAr256 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I took a break when I went to graduate school. Didn't play for about 3 years. I think it did me good because I returned to music more organized and productive than I ever was before.

11. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

After 35 years of playing I became dissolutioned in 1999 & sold all my guitar gear. However I did not give up music. I took African drumming classes for 2 years, learned to play didgeridoo & Native American flute. I started missing the guitar in 2003 & started up playing again.

12. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

I have breaks from playing guitar. Its called sleep.

13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I've been taking an involuntary break for over a week now because the base of my left thumb (I'm right-handed) has suddenly become sore as hell. I keep waiting for the day I wake up and it feels better.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Sure. I didn’t play at all between when I left for college into my thirties. These days, there are times when life with 5 kids and extensive air travel prevent me from playing for weeks (e.g., 4-6) at a time. Other times, I’m driving for my travel and I play every day in the hotel room. I just take what life gives me and enjoy the process. When I come back to playing there’s always a bit of frustration as the fingers find their way again, but also some new discoveries and inspiration providing the drive.

15. Bill Sheehan

NewKid, I too devoted much time to the ukulele beginning about five years ago, and didn't pick up my guitar much during that time. The ukulele is a wonderful instrument (it's what I first started on, back in eighth grade), and it can be challenging to make it sound really good. At that time I was interested in simplifying my life logistically, and trying to make music with the most minimal of "gear"-- so, walking into, say, a retirement home, with nothing more than a little soprano uke case in my hands, was the ultimate "light-packin' gig". I had a lot of trouble trying to switch back and forth between guitar and uke, so for that five-year duration I pretty much stuck with the uke. A person can do a ton of songs with just a uke and a voice, and with careful song selection and a little practice it can sound surprisingly good (see, for example, Joe Brown closing out the George Harrison tribute concert with "I'll See You In My Dreams"). Nonetheless, I always felt that there was something missing, perhaps the "depth" that the guitar affords, and eventually I re-visited the guitar and have left the uke on the shelf in recent months. I do find, however, that now I can indeed switch back and forth between the soprano uke and the guitar without batting an eye! As they say... it's all good!

RoCkstAr256 and NewKid like this.
  16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I took a break that (completely unintended) lasted 30+ years. I've taken it up again (still inside my first year of my return to it) and am finally starting to feel like I can actually play. I wasn't that great when I gave it up ... but have surpassed where I was ... now ... at least I think I have. There's no doubt I am playing a lot more differently than I used to ... starting to find my own voice (style) and am pleased with my progress, although for a while there, I definitely wasn't happy at all.

17. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Yeah I have, over 10 years, don't get rid of everything keep something around.
    If you want to try to break out of the doldrums you can do things like open mics, or for me during that decade of no guitar, I did take up playing around on the piano.

18. Bill Sheehan

We're hoping you'll be back at it soon, G !!

GGardner likes this.
  19. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

You wouldn't say that if you heard my crappy playing. You'd say, "Dude, uhm, maybe you should put the guitar down and rest a little longer."

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  20. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 Tele-Meister

I took a break for about 4-5 years in my late 20's. Not sure what was going on in my life, but it just happened.
    Luckily, somehow, someway, I found the way back to music.

It has been about a year since taking a break, and I feel great about what I am trying to accomplish now.
    One thing to be said, is that I still am quite sad about the 4-5 years of playing/studying that I lost in the meantime.

Best of luck in your endeavor, hopefully you make the right decision.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.