Have you ever found "the One"?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Early in my experience with amps I found a different kind of "the one", really through nothing but luck on my part. I've had it I don't know how long now, ten or twelve years, and I'm more convinced than ever that my Peavey Classic 50 twin is the world's most adequate amp.

That has saved me a lot of time, shopping and browsing amp threads. I know there are lots of amplifiers in the world that are better looking, louder, more responsive, tonier. . .when you have this much adequate at home all paid for and still worth what you paid for it it's hard to think about pulling any triggers. The C-50 is loud enough for anything I'd ever take it to, and sounds nice to me when I turn it up with the guitar volume down enough I don't blow myself out the room, which is where I play it almost exclusively.
Mr. Thought, I totally agree. I view amplifiers as simply output devices for my guitar signal and whatever stompbox or my POD XT I'm using at the time. So, they need to have a decent clean channel and decent reverb. I've never found an amp that has great "built-in distortion." Ran my POD through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for years, but the distortion on that amp was awful, so I never used it (and toted around a heavy box to boot). These days, I run a ModTone Dirty Duo into my Quilter Aviator Cub or Blues Cube Stage and call it good. When I go to jams, there's usually a backline amp of some kind, and I do the same thing: Hook up my Dirty Duo, dial in the tone stack on the amp, and it's post time. I guess I'm not "sophisticated" enough to have a deluxe pedalboard or a corksniffer's delight tube amp, but that's how I roll. Plus both of those amps have a Wattage selector switch so I can noodle and practice without giving the cat a heart attack, and then run it up to LOUD when rarely necessary.

Tone is in your fingers and lurking next to the corroding 9V in your OD pedal. And maybe your strap too. 🤡

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
Over my lifetime, I suppose I've had 5 amps that I considered "the one".

1965 Bandmaster - 1965-1969
1966 Twin Reverb - 1969-1986
Mesa Boogie MK III - 1986-2008

Fender 57 Twin RI (low power) 2008-present day, depending on venue
Mission 5e3 kit - 2012-present day, depending on venue
(a Bat Cat unleash is a crucial part of my rig with both of these)

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Maybe. Not really. I don't know. I'm certainly a one-amp guy (ok, 2 if you count my practice amp).

I wanted a Mesa 5:50 Express+ for a long time. All the other amps I want are essentially one-trick ponies for my purposes, even though theyre real classics.

I ended up with a Prosonic, which ticks most of the same boxes for less money. Even though it isn't exactly a Plexi, Bassman, Matchless, or whatnot, it can get pretty close to whatever sounds I want from it. I still dream every so often of getting something else - mostly a 5e3 or 1974x. And then I try to figure out how I would get all the other sounds I need, and I realize I'd miss the Prosonic.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
No, but because I'm not looking ... any half decent Marshall can do what I need it to, an old JTM, JMP or an 800, 900, 2000 .. they all work for me, a combo or a head and cab, smash the front end with a boost if needed. I'm easily pleased in that respect.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Cleans as loud as you would need and roars with my analogman TS9. 73 Traynor YBA1 and my PRS SE1.....MV mod gives me window rattling tube OD if I ever need it.
16491022858126106341839325414113.jpg

redhouse_ca

TDPRI Member
Sorta.

I play or have played in bands playing several different sorts of rock music, as well as had some church gigs. So it depends on the band. For my main punk rock and roll band, it's this:

full.jpg

For less loud applications, like doing little low-volume duo shows or church gigs, it's this:

kd2sz9zshbqwmnwey55e.jpg

But sell off the others? Big nope!

full.jpg
I was feeling a little guilty of my collection of stuff and I want to thank you for making me feel much better! Really amazing kit !

teletail

Friend of Leo's
My playing is too varied for one amp, but I have found the “two.” I’ve played the same Fender DRRI since 1994 for about 90% of my gigs. When I need to bring out the big guns I play a Marshall JCM 900 SL-X and an old Marshall 4X12 cabinet for a classic rock band I played with.

WireLine

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve had ‘the one’ a few times, and like a doofus kept looking for ‘the one with a bit more.’

The ones include:

MusicMan RD50
Original issue Trace Eliot Velocette 12 with Matchless tweaked speaker
Cream faced Bassman head

of all the stuff I’ve ever owned, the Mosvalve BlueTube Ii into Mosvalve 2 space amp just sent thrills of sonic delight every time.

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
I own three amps that I will never sell. A Reeves Custom 50(Hiwatt) , a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb and a Carr Telstar. All are very different, except in one aspect... They are all incredible amps.

Brian Krashpad

Tele-Afflicted
I was feeling a little guilty of my collection of stuff and I want to thank you for making me feel much better! Really amazing kit !
By all means, and ta yerself!

I just realised that I posted a 2020 photo for the group amp shot. Here is a similar, but updated, 2022 shot taken on the same driveway:

52010552444_903c02c060_k.jpg

I did sell the baby Vox in the above shot (front row, 3rd from right) subsequent to this shot. But everything else accurately reflects the current stable.

Pictured:

Back Row (L-R, top to bottom): Crate BX200, Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab, Sunn 200S, Marshall 1510 bass cab, .5 W Boggs-O-Sonic, Woodson 250, Woodson 1x15 cab, Marshall 5210, Marshall DSL 40C, 1966 Fender Super Reverb (cut into 2 cabs), Positive Grid Spark smart amp, Fender Super Champ XD, Laney TF-100, 1969 Kustom 100 with 1x15 cab, Sovtek MiG 50H Tube Midget head, DIY Krashall Celestion silverback 2x12 cab, Risson (badged Krashall) 4x12 cab.

Front Row (L-R): Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 EXP, Marshall Lead 20 5002, Vox AC30CC2, Ampeg Reveberocket, Marshall 75 Reverb 5275, Vox AD30VT XL (with cloth grille added), MosValve MV-962, Kustom Tube 12A.