1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have You Ever Considered...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I was actually thinking about this recently but not necessarily getting rid of guitars to fund better guitars

Most of my guitars are of good-upper quality

I’ve gotten heavy into the banjo recently and I was thinking if I start getting better maybe I could sell off a couple guitars and get a real sweet banjo

I don’t think I could do it though, I always think about the guy that switches to acoustic sells off all his electrics and wishes 30 years later that he didn’t

(Kind of a tangent)

Hypothetically if I did have a couple lower quality guitars I’d consider selling them to get something better

I’m happy with what I have but if I had a opportunity to get a dream guitar by selling half of em it would be hard to resist

telestratosonic and Torren61 like this.
  2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1 I’m expert at thinking about diluting my guitars to just a few, but it’s sooooo difficult

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I did that years ago now.

I'm just a chronically mediocre home hack or basic jam player but it stopped the constant interest in gear vs playing. 1 each of a classic or standard bearer design in acoustic, single coil, and humbucker.

My exceptions since that started have been Trio+ that's a great solo practice item, and upgrading to a nice for home use Yamaha THR amp.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, but ......
    I love most of my guitars.
    I have 2 Les Pauls, and 1 Les Paul style guitar.
    They’re all nice, but none are “the one”.
    I am utterly happy with with the other 10 instruments I own.
    I would sell or trade the LPs for the perfect one.
    I actually almost never use the Gibson/Les Paul/rock tone.
    I just want the perfect one, when I do.
    Kinda dumb, if I do say so myself.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Recently I revisited my old Carr Hammerhead because I'm as usual moving in some direction as opposed to sitting in a comfortable place that works for me.
    As my sound got heavier it created problems that I worked on solving which created opportunities which I then took advantage of.
    Over the course of a year the only new thing I really needed was a good noise reduction pedal.
    I did also finally find a deal on a used SUF violet menace with his masterful mids control, but that was a fairly subtle though useful added tool, compared to my other violet ram circuits. Those run $189 new but I nabbed one mint for $120.

In addition to using the Carr with SUF Muffs and the isp decimator, I tried a bunch of different speakers from my stash and realized some speakers I didn't really like with 18w Marshalls really made the Hammerhead work better with the sounds I'm getting now.
    I have several warmer darker speakers but they are all 16 ohm and the Carr is 8 ohm, so I emailed the builder and Steve Carr wrote back saying it's fine to run it at 16 ohms but not at 4. The Carr amps are all pretty unique and while some amps like BF Fender hold up fine with a lower impedance load, others not so much. Cool also that the designer builder himself wrote back.

Next the long plate 12ax7s struggled with the gain and volume so I dug through my vintage tubes and found a NOS GE 7025 with short plates. Controls the screams a little better but still sounds like the blowing up amp thing I sort of always crave but find hard to get and control.
    Much of the struggle has been keeping that melting down sound articulate, so close to the edge of unintelligible yet so worth it!

Sell off all that stuff and cut down the tools in my toolbox?
    Why?
    Because I can see the future and there are no changes ahead?
    Because I don't want to make any changes or grow in my musical tastes?
    Because I've experienced all there is in gear based sound altering?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha please save me from the rabbit hole of downsizing!

Really, we can rationalize all sorts of stuff and convince ourselves of it.
    More is more is no less of a rabbit hole than the idea that less is more.

Sure it's valid to point out that the most important component is the player, while the gear is always second to our abilities, but we play an instrument that gets sounds electronically, and a whole lot of sounds.
    Limiting the range of sounds for the purpose of what, living more Zen like?

Might as well switch to bamboo flute!

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely!
    IMO, that's better than investing in acquiring (hoarding?) a bunch of adequate but lesser guitars, amps, etc.
    I working my way backwards now. I'm selling off gear to get down to only my most prized instruments. I have less guitars now but I am enjoying those that I have more than ever before.

7. telemnemonics

If the question was specifically about selling off a dozen cheap import Tele shaped guitars in every color (or that sort of situation) to buy a couple of good ones then yeah.

8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I did that. I knew I wouldn't be able to make use of them anymore so I'm down to just a couple of guitars, one amp and a couple of stomp boxes. Even they don't get the exercise they should but I don't feel like as much of a hoarder. And the guitars I have are ones that I'm truly enamoured with.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't play them all every day. I do play them all throughout the year. My main thought is to pass them on to my son and granddaughters. My son plays and his wife plays. I think she has better music genes in her family as EVERYONE in her family plays. I expect one or both of their kids to play and I really want some cool gear to pass down to them.

After starting this thread, it occurred to me that I could send a piece at a time as gifts. They'll be functional and in good nic and they'll probably appreciate the gear AND I'll be able to clear out some things I really don't want to keep but can't sell. For example, I have a PRS SE Soapbar that's a great sounding and playing guitar. Delivered to my house, it cost me $300 total and it came with its soft case. Very nice quality guitar even if it was a sub-$500 piece. I'll be sending the Crate Vintage Club 20 combo amp I have that's the little sister of the VC50 I'm keeping. Nice little tube amp that ROCKS.

As my granddaughters get older and if they improve, they'll be getting better and better gear.

10. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's pretty much where I am. I regret selling my Gibson Les Paul 1960($) Reissue, with the chambered body, for no apparent reason a few years ago. And my Made-in-Korea Epiphone Sheraton II a few years ago as well. I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom back in 1973 but it was waaay too heavy. Right now I'm looking at a Gibson ES339 Studio on sale for $1999, regularly at $2525, at Long & McQuade. I tried out one and love the smaller, lighter size and the sound.

Torren61 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. telemnemonics

Not saying you want one but if you haven’t tried any of the D’Angelico semi hollows you should at least check a few out.
    There are three grades with Premier being the cheapest, but really quite nice and the just kill the Epiphones in that price range.
    If you see them try a few!
    I’ve never tried the other two more expensive tiers.
    Mine got new pickups because it was an older one before they switched to actual Duncan pickups. I have a set of tuners for it too, but again this is their cheap line bought used for $379.

Torren61 and telestratosonic like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I slowly moved up into middle of the line stuff and very happy with all of it for quite a long time now, but I have gone way overboard on two guitars ... that as a hack, cannot justify.:oops:

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I sold off my gear a few times. I was a full-time musician. No safety net, no backup plan, but nobody is ever taking my victories away from me.

Between economic collapse, injuries without health insurance, hurricanes, blizzards, recovering from alcoholics and tyranny, I still managed to keep my main guitar and amp and damn if I didn’t finally meet my wife at the end of it all.

I replaced old confections with the redbone resolve of autumn blood gloves and copperhead rip rap, augering grease point olights for sound sleep and new purpose.

14. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I am bare bones simple. Fender Telecaster and Princeton Reverb of 70's vintage and a 2003 Gibson Hummingbird. That'll do for now but still want a Gretsch or Gibby. I do miss my Heritage that I had to sell. It was a Prospect, sort of like ES-339.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you must be insane. see my sig.

but seriously. my 2 most beloved strats. my tonemaster deluxe. my morning glory pedal, my earthquaker grand orbiter for phase. would i ever in this life need anything more, for real? maybe one more "heavier" OD pedal. an awful lot of the music i deeply love was made with less than this.

16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

...i would have to keep at least one of my danelectros, though.

Torren61 and telestratosonic like this.
  17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

No. I like what I’ve got.
    I’ll sell off a couple of things that I like but I don’t really need anymore.
    I’d consider swapping out one acoustic for another.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I did something similar a couple of years ago. During Covid, I picked up a 5watt Laney tube amp and now have a growing collection of pedals. What comes around, goes around ; )

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Had to sell my Rickenbackers a well used road worn 360 and a mint 25 yr old 330 both jetglo..to keep a roof over my head.i could still weep about the 330...im keeping my gear!

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.