1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have You Ever Considered...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

... selling off all your gear and buying just a few quality pieces?

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Nah....

Owning 15 cheap guitars, 3 or 4 crusty, modded-to-hell amps, and crates full of taped together stomp boxes is way more appealing to me than one amp, three pedals, and two really nice guitars.

There is absolutely something wrong with me.o_O

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I am somewhat doing that now. Selling old US tubes, selling old amps to keep a couple, have sold some guitars.
    What's driving it is that I dont really expect to get back into playing much, maybe a bit next year if things get better fast. I certainly dont need more than two amps really. I will keep my BF Deluxe and Pro, both non reverb. Have 3 other amps I'm selling, already sold a BMR and BFDR.
    Not sure what guitars I will part with, not many I dont think.

telestratosonic and Torren61 like this.
  4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I have a bit of everything. But I often think of selling some of it off just to declutter.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I kinda did that this summer - at least that was the goal. I sold three guitars and my old Peavey Bandit, then I proceeded to buy a Supro and a new (used) SG. I just bought a new Strat though so I don't think my downsizing plan was very successful.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’ve considered it but I don’t really have the patience and ambition to follow though.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The only way I’d do that is if I had a fire/flood/theft situation.

...and then, I’d still go mid-level guitars (MIM Fenders) and high-end amps (Tone King and/or Grammatico). A good-to-great mod-able guitar and a great-to-astounding amp is the better formula for me.

8. heyslowfinger

heyslowfinger TDPRI Member

Sold all my pedals and amps when I purchased a Helix Floor/Rack/Native and the PowerCab, back in 2017. Never looked back.

lmjmitchell, kmaster, Alex_C and 4 others like this.
  9. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm always considering it, but I never go all in...yet.

10. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I am currently in that process. Rather than basing it on 'quality' pieces, I am more trying to distill what is my sound. I don't play in cover bands, or anything, so the need to cover all bases isn't there. I'm paring it down to 3 guitars - my best tele, my best bass, and a solid body nylon string that I'm building. If I can get someone to repair some issues with my Polytone Mini-brute 3, I will sell the rest of my amps, but I have the feeling it may be a lost cause. I find that I never play my acoustics (2), or my classicals (3), so they will all be sold. I find that, over the years, gear has been a distraction from actually playing, and getting better at playing. I'm getting old, and I haven't really come close to my goals, as a musician.

11. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have "A-list" equipment that I really like, and "B-list" equipment that's decent stuff, but not worth a real lot at resale. My GAS is in remission, so although I have way too much stuff, I don't want to alter the status quo by doing anything about it. But that day will come...

12. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Also in the process. Down from over 20 to 10 mostly great players. Looking to get down to 4 or 5. Sold all my vintage amps and have DRRI for guitar and an Ampeg BA115 for Bass. All I really need at this point.

13. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I am just trying to downsize to less crap.

As far as those efforts go, I’m not doing so hot.

14. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

Not a chance. That'd be like selling one of my kids

Wulf, telestratosonic and Torren61 like this.
  15. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

My brother Chuck did that when he went off to college. No one has heard from him since.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been refining my hoard. I haven't gotten around to selling much and I guess I need to do that, but, I have a 1999 Les Paul standard, 1970 (arguably) ES335, 2010 PRS McCarty with soap bar pups. I consider each of those guitars to be iconic. I built/assembled a Brian May Red Special Tribute Thinline Tele. How could I get rid of that? It's a one-of-a-kind but no one would probably give me more than a grand for it. My redwood Tele is not a Fender but it's redwood. I can't part with that one. I have an upper level Taylor dreadnaught and a smaller body Martin. I have to keep those. I've got two Japanese guitars that cover both LP and Tele territory but they're from the late 70s and early 80s and are quality pieces in their own right. My one and only bass is a '73 Fender Precision. I can't sell that one.

I do have some cheaper guitars that I attempted to list on CL but everyone here in this area seems to be broke. I think I should just pack up my cheaper stuff and mail it to my son. He plays but he doesn't have a whole lot of quality pieces. I helped him out a bit to score a really nice Martin HD28 and that's his nicest piece.

My amps are getting more refined too. I think the cheapest things I have are a 90s Crate Vintage Club 50 but that thing sounds SO good despite being cheaply made. The cleans are above average to say the least. I have a '74 Music Man 65 Reverb head but I'd basically have to give it away here. I should send that to my son, too.

I think talking this out loud has made me realize that I DO have some cheaper gear but not as much as I thought when I started the thread and I should just send my son the cheaper stuff except for the Crate, which I'll keep.

You guys have been a BIG help!!! lol

telestratosonic likes this.
  17. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Yes. I started a post about this two weeks ago.

18. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I literally just did this

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars? Nope. My few expensive ones are keepers and my most of my multitude of cheaper ones either aren't worth much or have been significantly modded. I like to work on guitars so I'm more likely to build something myself than pay a lot for someone else to do it.

Amps? I've got a couple of good vintage amps that I've decided to get refurbished instead of buying something new like a Tone King Gremlin. I would like a Matchless Chieftain but I don't see that happening outside of a lottery win. I may, however, end up buying some more cheaper modeling units out of curiosity.

Effects? I mostly have cheap stuff with little value or decent handmade kits also with little market value. I may upgrade some key components, like getting an Origin Effects SlideRig, eventually.

20. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

At least half of what I have is already quality pieces. I've got three Teles, a Strat, a Gibson Melody Maker, and a Taylor 410. I suppose I could conceive of a package of two electrics and one acoustic that would be an upgrade, but why?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.