Have you ever compared a Tele with a maple neck and then rosewood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I compared them and the rosewood looks like a darker brown color and the maple is much lighter in color.

teletimetx, AAT65, awasson and 2 others like this.
  2. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

Anderton's just posted this very comparison, although they did it with Strats. Even the "pros" aren't 100% sure blindfolded.

3. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

That's actually opposite of what most claim.

4. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I also stand by my poast - and furthermore, I admit that I was poasting just to disagree - even thought I stand by my poast o_O:D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think a rosewood board needs oiling, or not in Dixie. The dew point is so high, we just don't see the huge shifts in wood moisture levels that folks in Cut Bank, Montana do. My suggestion is just to play the guitar more; let the oils from your fingers be enough.

I think the rosewood looks cooler. Except, not so much on the No-Caster look guitars. Most blonde family finish guitars call out for maple. Most others, better in rosewood. Besides, as our access to rosewood diminishes, the "Unobtainium" effect will just get stronger and stronger.

6. boris bubbanov

Most people are influenced by what their eyes tell them and the gang just goes along.

I have a one piece, wide at the nut Fatback East Indian Rosewood Tele neck from Warmoth (and not with that huge Gotoh "pro" trussrod) and it may forever be the most bright, weirdly bright guitar neck I know of.

I reined it in by the following:

a) patiently waited 2 years for the wood to mature more;

b) shaved it down from a Fatback to almost a Boatneck;

c) grain filled it with Bartley's and applied 2 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish so it wouldn't stink so much; and

d) bolted it to a huge one piece mahogany T body with a Lefty but Leo style 3 barrel bridge - that is, the bridge pup is reverse slant.

How many of those things were necessary and which weren't, I don't know but I was seriously scared, all that Warmoth money was wasted.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hear no discernable difference in fingerboards on a Tele. I do *think* I hear some high end clarity on my ebony-boarded Martins, but no, I haven't rigorously compared against other similar guitars in the same setting. So, no.

That said, last year I bought a Nocaster-profile solid rosewood Tele neck. I put it (temporarily) on my AV64 body. I know what my AV sounds like, but with the different neck... I expected more sustain because of the very beefy neck. What I didn't expect was how crazy bright it would be.

And they say wood has no effect...

El Tele Lobo and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

Moosie, where is your big One Piece Rosewood neck now?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The best part of this is that there is no way to properly test it :D

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Over the years I've had many different guitars made of different type of woods. Hard to say whether or not the wood made a difference unless the scale is the same, strings, pickups, electronics, wiring scheme and hardware also being the same. Even then you have variables that come into play.

I can say that I like the feel of Rosewood over Maple. As far as sound is concerned, Maple has always sounded brighter to me than Rosewood or Mahogany.

Example would be a Gibson LP Special or Junior compared to the LP Standard or Studio models. The LP Standard/Studio with the Maple top cap definitely sounds different from the LP Special or Junior without any Maple on it. Rosewood Tele's have always sounded different to me than the regular models with Alder or Ash body and Maple neck.

My Avatar guitar originally had a Mahogany neck with Rosewood fretboard. It broke at the nut into 2 pieces and couldn't be repaired without looking like crap so I replaced the neck with one from Guitarfetish off their Buyout Page. It's a Maple neck with a Rosewood fretboard and same scale. I can tell you that this new neck makes the guitar sound better than it did oringinally. It has more brightness and response to the guitar now than it used to. It has gone through many changes, but the changes were made one at a time so I could tell if there were any changes for better or worse because I was trying to make it better.
    I have another guitar that's a PRS clone with Mahogany body and neck, Maple top cap and Rosewood fretboard and it has an awesome tone to it that I wouldn't change for the world.

Many people dismiss wood differences for being responsible for tone difference, but it's hard to argue with your own results, on your own guitar and in your own sound room/studio/bedroom.

11. moosie

Waiting for me to complete it's other half. The binding is (poorly) scraped, and now I'm waiting for sub-50% humidity to spray the clear coats. Might be a while, it was like a hot sponge here today.

By the way, it's actually a two piece. Separate fingerboard.

After I bought the neck, on impulse, last summer, I figured I had to do something about a body. Mounted it on my avatar AV64 for a while, but I like that guitar too much to mess with it. So, I bought this alder blank from StewMac.

20170924_121733.jpg

And now it looks like this:

20180825_005005.jpg

20180830_020254.jpg

20180830_020309.jpg

20180830_020322.jpg

Still needs about a dozen coats of clear lacquer. The pickups will be a Seth Lover in the neck, and the bridge pickup (and bridge plate) from my AV58. Rutters Broadcaster saddles. Regular Tele electronics, plus a three way for the humbucker: coils in series, parallel, and split.

The neck is all ready and waiting. It's had a fret dress, and the board edges are rolled. It's got a set of light relic Klusons off a CS Strat, and a newly crafted bone nut.

It's like watching paint dry...

teletimetx likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

Very nice!

moosie likes this.
  13. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I bought a tele with a solid rosewood neck and I absolutely LOVED the way it felt. It was a dream to play and it was my favorite guitar. Unfortunately, I got strapped for cash to take care of the family and had to sell it. I miss that guitar!

As far as the sound goes, I had the same experience as the guy in the video that you referenced. I expected it to sound warmer and it actually sounded very bright. It was SO bright I played with the tone knob rolled back quite a bit and I've always been partial to volume and tone knobs always being on 10.

moosie and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  14. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

To me, there is a huge difference in feel. A rosewood fingerboard doesn't feel like a Tele to me. It doesn't respond the same way when I pluck the strings, especially when playing with my fingers. It doesn't sustain the same way. Unplugged, the tone is different to me. Through an amp, maybe not as much.

I like the rosewood necks, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. But if I could only have one Tele, definitely a maple.

guitfiddles likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My 50's pine body tele with a lil 59 in the bridge and a maple neck sounds completely different to my alder custom with a chopper t in the bridge and a rosewood neck. I can feel the difference when blindfolded too, just sayin.

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

IMO, it is almost impossible to tell what difference wood species make in a guitar neck, as even necks made of the same wood can sound different because of natural variation in every piece of wood. Let alone in the different mass between a fat or thin neck. Too many variables. Wood is an organic compound after all.

As an example, I have a partscaster Esquire on which I recently swapped necks, because I liked the shape of the second neck better. The first neck was all maple. The second neck was also all maple.

You know what? After I swapped necks (the only thing that changed was the neck, same pickup, electronics, hardware, body etc.) the guitar sounded different. Not better or worse, just different. A little brighter, and more upper mids, and tighter low end.

Two necks of the same wood, different sound. Go figure.

El Tele Lobo and guitfiddles like this.
  17. moosie

Yep, I'd expect that. To hear some difference, simply because it's a different piece of wood, regardless of species. But that doesn't negate the possiblity of expected difference per species. Both can be true.

I don't know that a rosewood fingerboard is going to make a guitar noticeably brighter, but a solid rosewood neck? Heck yeah.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Didn't say that it wasn't possible, just that it is hard to make a definitive statement that species A sounds like Y, and species B sounds like Z.

There are just too many variables, even within the same species. And everyone is listening with different ears.

Even in this thread we can't agree whether rosewood is darker or brighter than maple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.