1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

have you ever actually worn out a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, May 23, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a couple years on rebuilt, X-braced 1961 Sov. (The OM sized one) I've fallen in love with it. The neck is just so perfect for me. There are some decent guitars I could have purchased new for the 1K that I spent to make this one new...but like you said, it's 100% solid Sitka top and hog back, sides and neck with Brazilian Rosewood board. And the back is ONE piece!

Just trying to coax you into maybe that fretboard replacement and neck reset!;)

PS...I'm not sure my truss rod is even functional anymore...but that baseball bat of a neck isn't going anywhere...:lol:

P Thought likes this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

why not just put a new neck on it?

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It's like a car, you fix it as you go ... re-fret, replace pots, replace tuning gears, replace bridge, nut, even pickguard. Worn out finish gives you the relic look. Mojo. What are you asking? Willie Nelson wore through the front of the body on his nylon string. It's still playable.
    I took a thin hollowbody that was in twenty pieces and clamped and glued it together, fixed and replaced any damaged parts, it plays fine. It's like a car ... you can rebuild and repair anything that hasn't burned to the ground.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Haven't worn one out yet.
    I have worn out components, like frets, tuners, switches ...

DrPepper likes this.
  5. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I've worn few computer keyboards and mice... Should've spent all that time with the guitar though

2blue2 likes this.
  6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

When ya say some of the guitars this might not be the one but here is
    Divots on the frets by high e
    knife edges wore off floyd rose

Now twenty five yrs later the frets are turning green
    but not wore out beyond fixing... a little spackle, paint and frets like new right?

Not doing anything with it because of sentimental value. exactly like it was then, almost

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

That's not wear - that ABUSE!!

THAT'S when it's time to throw in the towel! WOW!! and WOW!!! I can't imagine that thing staying in tune with all that wood missing.

Um, you can't play sentimentality! I had a Cortez CBS Strat copy that I bought from the local pawn shop in either '93 or '94 after seeing it in a guitar shop a few months earlier. I got it for $75.00 used. The trussrod was broken by the former owner, and it wouldn't stay in tune. I chisled it out for a T-top humbucker with creme coils and filed the pickguard. The body was plywood and the neck was five pieces. By the time I got it the finish on the neck was yellowed and the body was white with a couple dings here and there. The tremolo block on it was a plate bolted to the fulcrum plate for the strings to go through. It was garbage for the most part - the only thing that was good on it was the pickups.

I "sold it" to a "friend" of mine that only gave me $20.00 for it and when I finally got it back from him it had gouges all over it in the finish of the body and neck with what looked like tar in some of the holes (finish chips) because the paint was polyester and was painted on REALLY THICK unlike the Fenders of the '70s that were actually very thin compared to this beast! The bar was missing and it had plastic parts broken. He wanted me to repaint it dark forest green with a tortoise shell pickguard which I did, but he never came up with the money. I repainted it after stripping it. It's now a light Ford blue with polyurethane clear that has yellowed so now it looks like a green pearl colour. I replaced the bridge, and the machine heads along with the switch and pickups which my @sshole brother stole the originals and put garbage pickups in it while it spent some time at my dads' house.

Afterwards my ex-step sisters' little girl wanted to learn to play so my dad gave this guitar to her. After he got it back (ten years later) the headstock is broken it several places, and the clearcoat on the headstock is almost completely stripped off where I painted it to match the body. It looks like someone beat it against a rock! It has a fake Fender logo that I put on it 17 years ago, or more, but you can tell that this isn't a real Fender. I paid my dues on that guitar - although I've had several dozen since then but I played this guitar until the frets started indenting. I think I leveled them once but it's barely playable now because of the headstock and the trussrod situation make it impossible to do so. I could make a new neck for it, but it would be more trouble than it's worth financially and sentimentally.

I've had my share of guitars that I've destroyed when I was a LOT younger and didn't know what I was doing, but none have been played to the point of destruction, although I have had my share of refrets! I have an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe that I bought in early '99 and it's seen its better days. The finish is now horrible, the frets are worn into divots from the first one to the 12th on the treble side, and a few more higher up. It has new machine heads, since the original ones were garbage and broke. I've had quite a few dozen guitars over the years and my favourite one is my '56 Daphne blue Strat that I bought in '03. I'm the second owner of it. I bought from a guitar shop that has long gone out of business. I refinished it in "04, and replaced all the hardware with aftermarket and Fender gold parts. I still have all the original hardware, but it's in a box waiting for it to be used again. I stripped and refinished this guitar in its' original colour and replaced the decal with an illegal one that I got from a seller on evilbay that has since been banned. The frets are all original but are worn down into dents that may require a fret level. The machine heads have been replaced 4 times, the tremolo has been replaced once. The original tremolo has had 3 different sets of saddles on it. The switch has been replaced 4, or 5 times. The pickups have been replaced 3 times with the originals back in it. The wire has been replaced 3 times with the original style (18 guage) wire reinstalled. The jack has been replaced twice, the strap buttons have been replaced with gold Fender brand as the jack plate is Fender and all the screws and gold anodized pickguard that now adorns it because the original one warped and turned yellow/green/creme. The neck plate has been replaced 4, or 5 times, the backplate has been removed although I have what's left of it now that it too has turned yellow/green in colour. It has had three different capacitors, but all the guts are original with a three way CRL switch, and Cornell-Dubilear 0.1 MFD capacitor, and all original pickups which I cleaned up, and wiring and switchcraft aftermarket jack (gold) so that this will sound as it should have back in the day. All the plastic parts have been replaced, except for the pickup covers which are original. It survived a fire and I had to sand a lot of wood away (abut 1/16" on the body) as paint doesn't like to stick to burned wood. So now it's a little thinner than the 1" 3/4 that it should be but it's not noticable when looking at it. There are the dings and scratches that you can't really see in pictures, but it's seen its' fair share of abuse. I have the action super low so that I can fret tap like Eddie, and bend strings with reasonable ease and no choking out. This poor thing has been through a lot and I kept replacing things as they wore out, or broke. I wouldn't say worn out completely, but definately one of those that I think I might retire here soon. I have three other Strat projects in the wings, so they should be taking the place of my number one guitar sometime before the end of the year.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This explains that parody adult film named Repairing Trigger Nelson's Willy

P Thought likes this.
  9. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Yes, once I had a real workhorse Squier strat that was set up, hot rodded and modified. Went through 3 refrets before there wasn't anything more to chew on the fretboard. 12 years. A new fretboard and job would've cost more than a brand new guitar of the same brand/model. Sold it to someone who wanted guinea pig for fretwork.

I know that wood can dry out both on neck and body, and if the neck warps (mostly set neck instruments) it's a huge Lemon that can't be fixed. But as it has to do with humidity, and temperature, it seems like the design from the start on was on the weaker side. Sold it again to lesser knowledgable humans who just wanted that ... SG.. because of that guy in AC/DC got one. . Didn't play over 5th fret anyway...no money there...

Both old jazz and fustion stalwarts Pat Metheny, Steve Morse has worn out their darlings. Steve's Frankenstrat, or Frankentele has been refretted so many times that he doesn't dare to take it out to gigs and play it anymore. Morse did then a signature Music Man guitar which has since 1996 been refretted some 20 (!!) times, and now the last time he went for the stainless steel frets. Which will last a while. But...20 times...since 1996, good lord herpes...

Pat Methenys Gibson Es175 he doesn't take out anymore of fear of it imploding itself and just disintigrate in front of him. Pretty much worn out due to all battle scars, refrets.

However, I think solid bodies with bolt on necks survives a bit longer. Martin acoustic guitars dies in no time, since it's inevitable that a neck reset is needed down the line anyway. Martin has even got on print that "The guitars has to be built on the verge of breaking down, that's were the tone lies". Yes, that's why they're prone to maintenance and service so often, and even then doesn't make it. They start to crumble too, it's just a matter of time, and battle scars makes them more fragile as they go along.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  10. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I have an old 70’s Yamaha fg75 I got form a friend back in high school. The first 3 or 4 frets almost look like they are cut like the nut.

2blue2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.