Have you compared these speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, May 18, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've had them but not together. Can anyone tell me what you think the tone difference between these is?

Emi GA SC64; How does the 10" sound compared with the 12?

Emi GA SC 64 12" vs Emi 1258 ?

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes. The 10” version has much less low end. Sort of thin sounding. I have one in my P. Reverb clone. The Legend 1058 is going back in

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Haven't tried the GA's, but if you like the 1058, you'll love the Copperhead. It's like the 1058 but more.

4. schmee

More what? I'll check it out. I like the GA's for the subdued top and big bottom. Might try the 1258 though, supposed to be similar and it's cheap and a bit lighter. This is a small 15w amp.

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

To piggyback on Hoodster's comments: the Copperhead is an awesome speaker. I have not, however, tried the 10" SC64

6. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

tl;dr: See the last paragraph below.

When the Copperhead first came out, I loved that speaker. It had a clear and punchy voice. And it had what Ted Weber called "texture." It was the best speaker I had heard. I loaded four of them into a tweed Bassman style speaker cabinet. A killer sound! But I moved on from the Copperhead because I kept having issues with cone cry.

Some years later I tried the Copperhead again. This time there was no cone cry. But this time the "texture" was gone. This time the voice was on the dark side. So I kept moving to other speakers.

But a week or two ago I decided to give the Copperhead a try in my new 5F11 (tweed Vibrolux). It sounded quite good: a full, rich voice, and no cone cry. But, again, the voice was on the dark side and it didn't let the amp shine as much as I wanted. So out came the Copperhead.

From there, I installed it in my 2x10 Deluxe Reverb in place of a Greenback 10. Aha! Wonderful. Now that amp had a more solid and fuller sound without excess highs. Just right! (One curiosity to me, in a 2x10 anyway, is how each speaker on its own can sound on the dark side, yet the two speakers together can sound bright and crisp. Good thing!)

After pulling the Copperhead from the 5F11, I installed the Greenback 10. Not bad. But a bit mushy in the low mids, a bit strident in the upper mids, and not quite loud enough.

The final installment for the 5F11 is a GA10-SC64. That's the ticket! Compared to the Copperhead, the GA10 is not as solid in the low mids, but it has a nice clear top (not shrill!) that really lets the character of the amp come through.

schmee and theprofessor like this.
  7. schmee

My main focus is on a 12", but for this lightweight amp I could do a 10 if it's big and robust sounding. That's why I asked about the GA SC 10.
    I will likely stay with 12 though, and the Emi Legend 1258 is dirt cheap new. I've compared graphs with the GA SC 12 and not sure however. I should stick with what I like I suppose... the GA SC.
    Unlike some manufacturers, the GA SC 10 and 12 are quite different from one another construction wise. Different voice coil, different magnet, different wattage etc. I guess they just share the name only.

But I still wonder about: Emi GA SC 64 12" vs Emi 1258 tone comparison? The graph indicates the 1258 has about 3 db less in the lower 100-800 hz range and 4 Db more highs up in the 1.5k to 3k range. So a bit brighter and less low/low mids...?

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

My copperhead is probably about six years old. I've had it in a Princeton reverb and a cabinet with a quilter 101. Never any issues with cone cry and nothing remotely "dark" about it. It is certainly less bright than the 1058, But that is a bright speaker. I would call the copperhead perfectly balanced for an American voiced speaker.

Regarding 12s, I was led to believe that the equivalent to a copperhead would be the Red White and Blues, but it is not. The RWB is much darker and does not have the sparkle, so if you are including that in your list of possible 12s, I would exclude it. Not a bad speaker, great for rock and pretty balanced, but no chime or sparkle.

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I have an Emi 1258 in my Princeton clone and it sounds very nice. Good bass response yet not muddy.

Front.jpg Tube Chart.jpg Rear2.jpg Tube Chart.jpg

10. schmee

Great amp and that should work well for sure! I have the GA SC64 in mine and really like it.

11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Have not tried the GA 12, but I find the 1258 is ok but kinda bland.
    For 12" speakers the GB 128 is great also really like the wgs et-65, they both
    seem more dynamic/responsive than 1258.

12. schmee

Good to know, I just sold today an ET-65 which was not a fit for what I'm looking for in this amp, but could be great in others! I have a GB128 in one amp and kinda like it.
    I'm going with another GA SC64 as I know what it's like and will be great for this amp.

13. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

That's not what I heard. I removed a 1058 from my PRRI in favor of the GA 10", and it isn't going anywhere. OK, I took it out recently to test run a JBL D110, but it is back in. The 1058 is more scooped than the GA, but to my ears that just means that the GA has more mids, not that it has less bass. For me, the GA has as much bass as a 1058, and its bass is noticeably tighter than the 1058.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.