1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you cleaned your dryer vents lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Nov 20, 2020.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, but I am a Master Linterminator.

PXL_20201122_180118544.jpg

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

just replaced the belt on the dryer drum...cleaned it as lots of lint inside...did the vent too

3. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Done, thanks.

4. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

one time when i did it in the spring the birds grabbed it all up i guess to cozy up their nests!

saw it in some abandon nests i took down from big cedars, one nest had one of my wifes gardening glove in there too!

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have about a two foot run of hose between the dryer and the vent in the exterior wall, not enough length to impede the airflow enough to where buildup is a problem. A couple good kicks to the hose is all that is needed to knock the minute amount of lint loose from the two bends, which blows out the next time the dryer is run.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

about 10 years ago the heater coil in my dryer went , we had to dimantle the dryer to get at it , there was soo much fluff around the heater it was a fire in the making but instead the wiring to one phase of the 220 outlet failed melting through the wire tripping the circuit breaker ,I replaced the breaker with a new one( because once a breaker fails it is weakened and at 240 volts I wasnt going to give it satisfaction) repaired the wiring in the outlet box and ultimately bought a new dryer soon after , now its a routine to clean the conduit after every load.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Reading this thread I love my condenser ventless dryer all the more :cool:

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I clean the lint filter before each load.
    A few years ago I took the housing apart and cleaned the interior air pathways as per a YouTube video I found.
    An amazing amount of stuff was hung up in there and blocking the airflow.
    It works much better now.

9. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I escaped CT about 8 years ago. Never looked back.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I see more of that problem with flex duct installations rather than rigid installs. My dryer vent is cleaned every 4 months and never find much at all....I use rigid duct.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes I have. Borrowed a plumber friend's brush and rod set and used my cordless drill. I pulled enough lint out of there to stuff a puffy jacket. Our vent was clogged so bad that the dryer couldn't dry. Fire hazard it was...

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Fortunately I only have about a foot of hose to clean. Just cleaned it while installing new flooring in the laundry room. When it does get plugged and I have had it happen, it blows the obstruction out by itself outside. We do try to clean it every time we dry clothes but there’s always that one time. When it does, it is a wake up call.

13. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

OK - so I read Buckocaster's first post in the thread and replied that it was a good reminder and that I knew what my assignment for the weekend was. Soon after that, I forgot all about it and moved on to more stimulating activities. Then, I saw the thread crop up again and remembered that I was supposed to clean the dryer vent. Soon after that, I forgot about it again. Then this morning I saw I had couple of alerts and took a look. The alerts all involved 'likes' of my post that promised to clean the dryer vent.

It occurred to me that TDPRI was functioning as a proxy spouse whose purpose is to nag me into doing the chores that my real spouse doesn't know exist. Since the fundamental rule is 'pics or it didn't happen', I'm including the evidence of my accomplishment.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

IMG_4794.jpg

14. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

How much glitter was in there?

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are correct sir. Thanks for the reminder.

16. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We do that in the warmer months. Our neighborhood hasn't outlawed it and probably won't ever. Many places have restrictive covenants prohibiting public display of my underwear. I'm glad to live in an older, established neighborhood where some common sense overrides the snob factor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.