Have you bought a mij A serial tele thinking it’s older

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fretting out, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I know most the members here are well versed in the tele such as double check a serial with a neck date or the pot dates.
    Well a couple years ago without thinking to ask a seller online to check for a neck date I bought a mij paisley telecaster with an A serial number bridge plate hoping for it to have been made around 1985, I take delivery of this beauty, pop the neck and right in pencil there’s an 88 looking at me.

Has anyone done this, before they knew better, expecting a tele to be older than it is?
    Has the A serial plate number ever fooled you?

Of coarse I learned later about the A serial bridge plate being used for almost a decade and about pencil dates on the early ones.
    Don’t get me started on all the crafted’s for sale that are supposed to be n.o.s but the sellers actually referencing a m.i.j number

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No. And it's not something that concerns me. I have what I believe to be an '85 MIJ '62. It's a fine guitar but I have also modded it. The pickups were poor so it needed it
    I don't think it is material whether it is 85 or 88. It's hardly a pre-CBS! I don't think will ever matter much.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Thanks for replying I just mostly I was hoping for an earlier paisley because of the different features.
    Not necessarily a problem because of be a vintage year or anything i was just wondering if for one reason or another someone was looking for a 85 and ended up with a 95 , not that ones better than the other.
    I can’t be the only person here that was ignorant of this at one point.
    I see these being sold as earlier than what they are constantly

4. Ezee

Ezee TDPRI Member

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Fretting out

6. Fretting out

I personally have one of the 94 stratocasters and it’s crazy how many sellers have a mid 2000’s 57 style paisley strat trying to sell them as new old stock 90’s models which as you know are a completely different model

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You’re gonna bust a lot of bubbles with this thread

Geo likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2543BF36-43F3-46E5-B484-F5B3A6E8F6F3.jpeg
    - the electronics on MIM Teles - especially early MIM Teles - are superior to Almost all of the MIJ’s I’ve owned

- the MIJ neck pencil dates can sometimes be so small and so faint you can practically be looking at them and not see them

- I wish I had swapped out all the guts from the early 90’s MIJ paisley I owned as it was light and the pink paint edge fade was perfect . Small and subtle - not like someone did it with a 2” roller

Even the Al Anderson era ones like you’re talking about (85-88) never came close to the real thing color/finesse-wise though

Fretting out and Clifton C like this.
  9. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

I bought my Paisley Tele (or rather traded for it) because I foolishly sold one years before. I didn't look at the serial number; I just knew that I missed it and wanted one again, because they're such great guitars.

10. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1991 AmStnd Tele with a 1999 serial number (N9). People ask how I know it is a '91, because I was there when I bought it! Also, it is stamped March 26 1991, Hector Montes
    Apparently, Fender printed decals for the whole decade, and started at the wrong end of the pile. At least that is one online theory.

telemnemonics and Fretting out like this.
  11. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

3 years in the grand scheme of things is a non issue to me, though '85 might seem "better" to some because it is older??

12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

So much attention is paid to the year a Guitar was made. I get that if you’re talking pre-CBS, or general eras from a value standpoint, but the “older must be better” thing seems a little over emphasized. There are some that would argue that Fender is currently making the best guitars they’ve ever made. I agree somewhat, at least from a consistency standpoint.

Just find a guitar you love and play the hell out of it.

8trackmind likes this.
  13. Fretting out

I could be corrected, but I believe the 85 had the paisley paper that had a texture close to the ones in 68. i know it was a small detail but I was trying to find one with that paper.
    The paper on the ‘88 is different from the paper on the ‘94s also just a little difference that paisley collectors might appreciate

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I think we've come across something entirely new to debate: paisley paper texture.

Does the old paisley paper affect the sound in a better way than the new paisley paper? Does the difference between the '88 paisley paper and the '94 paisley paper create a noticeable tone difference?

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

There are still adds out there with the seller proclaiming early based on the A plate.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the earlier MIJ Fenders as well as the early Tokai lawsuit era copies.
    Those who find the difference between 85 and 88 are probably in the minority but that doesn't make those guitars all the same.
    I have an '85 PP (neck date) I got in maybe 2005, and a Tokai Strat from I forget what year but I think '83 or '84.
    That minority that likes this era has driven the Tokai prices higher than the fenders, but the last of the Tokai lawsuits came before Fender agreed to let Japanese makers continue producing copies as long as the sold them as either Squier or later Fender.

At that time I think Japanese guitar makers were extremely proud of their production, and the numbers were smaller so the detail work was very fine IMO. Later MIJ Fenders are fine too but somehow more ordinary.
    Same with the earlier Tokai vs later. There seems to be a difference.
    I guess we can assume that after Fender contracted for MIJ Squier and Fender manufacture, factory production increased, which inevitably involves changing work force and processes as well as materials suppliers.
    Bearing in mind that in the early '80s Fender was having trouble selling their US guitars due to the rep damage of the later '70s guitars and amps.
    So those MIJ guitars kind of saved Fender.

I've had lots of MIJ's but can't recall ever being fooled by the A because I was buying when we dated by numbers more than letters. Even after the internet gave us misinformation I never started buying guitar online. That was when older was usually cheaper too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  17. Fretting out

It’s never gonna end. Serial numbers are always a pain . Just gotta know the other “clues” to look for .
    I guess if you buy one you either learn or you return it if you catch it early enough

18. Fretting out

I agree with your assessment, and find those instruments special. I just figured most people that looked into paisleys would notice the paper and other little differences. Maybe I’m just too obsessed.

I now know better than to date a guitar based on serial only

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FWIW I've had Fender guitars with up to three different serial numbers!

(Neck plate, bridge plate and headstock)

Fretting out likes this.
  20. Fretting out

All the tone differences depend on the consistency of the paper, if the finished is chipped it will absorb more moisture causing it to sound muffled! and the quality and shine of the foil have the biggest impact if it has more shine the tone will be brighter! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.