Have two 4-ohm car stereo tweeters. Foolish to try to use (w/bigger speakers also) in a Bandmaster?

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
They are Dayton Audio AMTPOD-4 "Air Motion Transformer Automotive Tweeter Pair"
Less than 2" diameter; the active tweeter part is a smaller square:
Dayton-Audio-AMTPOD-4-Air-Motion-Transformer-Automotive-Tweeter-275-195

I have a Bandmaster Reverb head that already has a pair of professionally-installed* Eminence 6" speakers in the airspace between the reverb unit and the tubes. A fun, if impure, sound :)

This one is like mine, except mine has 6'" speakers. Image from fenderguru:
1660611899476.png

the entire page from fenderguru.com ---> bandmaster <--- including how to balance w/12" extension spkr cab

I'm just confusing myself reading the reviews, Q, and A.'s at the Parts Express site. Of course everybody there is just upgrading a car stereo. Some are disassembling the tweeters to make 'em fit in a car door or whatever.

Couldn't find a power handling, max wattage specification. "4 ohms" is all I got.

So! Hit me with all the "series, or parallel, or crossover, or high-pass filter, or resistors, or, you'll just blow 'em out immediately, or, you could try it but you won't hear 'em, or whatever" educational answers I need.

Bonus points for using your "speakers for dummies" voice.

The existing pair of 6" speakers is plugged in to the Bandmaster's SPEAKER jack that says "40 Watts"

--- Thanks

*not by me; by a fellow who knows his parallel from his series :)

Last edited:

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
How WOULD it sound? (assuming it even works) You're thinking "too sterile"?

Curious how it would sound. Might play steel string/nylon acoustic w/pickup thru it, might play harmonica thru it. Might play a 2 1/2 octave little xylophone mic-ed thru it. Or even old-school piano, or my Yamaha DGX-500 keyboard w/floppy disc slot!

Have a Strat, an HH Squier Tele, an old lap steel, and the above. Learning about those whistling harmonics on lap steel, they're kinda high-pitched :)

Last edited:

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Just don't do it. If you do it you'll know very quickly why you shouldn't and why the companies don't do it either.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
wabashslim - Because it sounds squeaky or "you'll blow them" ... or something else"

Everybody - I been thinking "full range" was a thing ... a desirable thing in some situations.

I been thinking those "upper order harmonics" (whatever the right word is) coming thru in addition to the fundamental was a good thing.

Would the tweeters make more sense in a lower-powered amp? Been looking at these mint tweeters in my junk drawer for 5 years.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Our cats are constantly on the prowl for tweeters. Ocassionaly they will catch a squirrel or a rabbit, but they know that the feeders sometimes offer a quick meal for a careless tweeter. I doubt they would live very long confined in a speaker cabinet.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
wabashslim - Because it sounds squeaky or "you'll blow them" ... or something else"

Everybody - I been thinking "full range" was a thing ... a desirable thing in some situations.

I been thinking those "upper order harmonics" (whatever the right word is) coming thru in addition to the fundamental was a good thing.

Would the tweeters make more sense in a lower-powered amp? Been looking at these mint tweeters in my junk drawer for 5 years.

Tweeters don't make sense in a guitar amp. A guitar has a frequency range with very little for tweeters to reproduce. Trying to emphasize that bit of the range has bad results sonically.

All the things you're pondering to justify using tweeters you've had sitting around are rong. You're wasting thought power, will waste money, and will further hack up a head cabinet with bad results.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Since most guitar speakers reproduce frequencies in the range of about 80hz up to about 5000hz (with a given curve), most of everything beyond that 5000hz range doesn't add much in the way of sonic enjoyment to most guitarist's ears (and probably most everyone else too!). It will just sound strange to most.

All those guitar sounds above about 5000hz will get pumped through the tweeter and sound like hiss, and other 'fizzy' tones (for lack of a better word). Hi D (1st string, 22nd fr) lies at about 1175hz -- so everything above that natural fundamental will be harmonics; which are important -- especially to some players -- but the most of the notes on guitar like below about 1200hz. A speaker having an upper freq limit of about 4000hz to 6000hz will sound 'normal' (as in recognizable) to most guitarists.

Bottom line: as others here have suggested, it just doesn't work well for guitar.
On the other hand, bass players tend to like that arrangement a lot (low-end woofer paired with high-end tweeter; almost always with some kind of crossover or piezo tweeter).

Oh, and one last thing, in the woofer-tweeter design, the tweeter is almost always paired with an L-Pad or 'volume' control to balance the relative output between woofer and tweeter. It is fairly easy for a tweeter to pump out the highs efficiently, so thoughtful designers should incorporate a means to tame that if/when necessary.

Use your time and $ to search for a really nice sounding (chime?) speaker(s) instead. It'll yield a more predictable and enjoyable result.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
Okay, thanks all, I'm getting the picture. The Bandmaster will remain a tweeter-free zone!

So. Car tweeters ... acquired accidentally ... in their original box in a junk drawer ... for 5 years ...
... best use would be original purpose. But idk anybody working on their car stereo.

Looking at my menagerie of instruments* (post #3) I'm holding out hope these darn tweeters might make sense in a smaller amp, that's maybe on the dull side sonically, that I would use for instruments with hyper-high harmonics, maybe the lap steel or the xylophone?

A potential victim within sight is a little Electar Tube 10 practice amp, solid state except there's one tube in its pre-amp. I wanna say a 12AX7 idk. Seems a less hissy amp, SS and all.

Or I could use the tweeters to plug up where the mice have eaten through the drywall :)

*The Yamaha DGX-500 88-key has tweeters built-in, so it's safe from my schemes.

Last edited: