1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have there been any venues where you DIDN’T have to play quieter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Apr 19, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Just wondering. It seems like most of what I hear is people have a really low stage volume and are miked up, or they just bring a direct rig and go straight to PA.

I realize live music hasn’t been a thing for much of the past year, but even in recent years this seems to be the trend. I’ll be joining a band when I move next month, so I’m interested to know what to expect when gigs begin again.

I haven’t gigged in the last seven or eight year other than church “gigs,” where it was a quiet stage (amps off stage or turned down to like 1, also had a direct rig I’d use). The bars we were playing then we were turning up and playing loudly. Has that changed completely in favor of quiet stages?

2. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

When we played the El Mocambo there were no limits on volume

3. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Played lots of gigs over the last 10 years and almost all of them were miked up through a PA. There were maybe only a handful that weren’t

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

WHAT????

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The former Yankee Clipper Club in Rock Island, Illinois was an animal house with no restrictions on anything. It was a strip club at one time, the stage was behind the bar, and the bartenders were deaf.

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Back in the day, plenty of places (Marshall 4x12 half-stack). TODAY? Only outdoor gigs, and I've got combos loud enough to handle it, un-mic'ed.

naveed211 likes this.
  7. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

There are a couple of local clubs where I bring a Marshall 1/2 stack when I play with a classic rock band. And ear plugs, heavy duty ear plugs.

8. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ahh, The Clipper! My first experience there was as an 18-year-old (21 was legal in IL; 18 in IA) with a bunch of bikers who adopted me when I worked at JI Case. Blond, 5' 10", all of 129 lbs., these guys were all 6'+ with long black hair and 250 lbs. easily.

We walk in to some sad mama drooping on stage, about six of us, and the grandma behind the bar with a two-inch ash on the smoke hanging from her lip takes one look and says, " I need to see YOUR ID" pointing directly at me. I briefly panic, and then feel something tapping my azz. I grab it, (it's a wallet!) and hand it to her. She looks at the green paper license, then at my buddy Rick, who's a 6' 4", 300 lb. Native American with jet-black hair to his waist, then looks at me again, and says, "What can I get for you gentlemen?"

Special times!

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great story!!

P-Nutz likes this.
  10. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

More than a decade ago I played with my alt.country duo (singer with acoustic, me on Tele & lap steel), opening for another band at a legendary local punk rock club - we had to ask the sound guy repeatedly to reduce the stage volume, because it was way too loud for our comfort level. A few years later, my rockabilly band played at the same place - and the sound guy said we were the most quiet band he ever had there (different guy than the first gig).

I really don't like loud stage volume levels, makes me physically uncomfortable. I once quit a cover band because the singer always insisted on cranking the volume - not only on stage, but also during rehearsal (wasn't the only reason why I quit, but definitely a major one).
    My favorite volume level (except for outdoor gigs) is when I can use my 5E3 with a 1x10" set to where it's still clean, and I can hear it without having to put it in the monitors.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    BorderRadio and dougstrum like this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I’ve only ever been asked to turn down once, at a benefit gig in a church basement. And that was only because there was an AA meeting on the floor above us and they couldn’t hear each other.

P-Nutz likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the day, I used to play with my ‘63-reissue Vibroverb sitting on top of a 1972 Bassman Ten...6x10 speakers, cranked pretty high; that was in clubs of all sizes...this was competing volume-wise with similarly-equipped co-guitarists...once again, that was 20 years ago.

The last few times I really cranked it up were all at outdoor venues...one of the better times (where I really let the 63RIVV breathe) was at the Firefly Stage in Grandview, Texas...it was really enlightening how great that amp sounds, cranked up.

Nowadays, I have an attenuator on the Vibroverb and I’m looking at smaller, power-scaled amps...times have changed.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My band played two clubs in the '90s where we weren't asked to turn down and I could let my 4 x 12" Marshall half-stack breathe fire like it was made to do. One was an old movie theater with the seats all removed and the other was about the same size.

Now I don't own an amp over 20 watts.

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Those nights when you went outside for a smoke & the bikers were pulling chains out of their saddlebags to teach a lesson upon some poor sap. Before they cleaned up the plaza, you were just as likely to get rolled in the parking lots as you were to get into a club.

P-Nutz likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I did a farm brewery gig in VA Saturday night, ( very popular now, in what I call 'rural Northern Virginia' ) and all I know is our little Classic R&R trio ended up doing a 3rd set that was about 3 times louder than the first 2 sets.

We were in a tent behind the actual brewpub and things got rowdy.
    Look at our little setup.

I just kept goosing my Frontman 25R with an OD pedal, and thought I was gonna blow it up- but it sounded great.

We did a little Marshall Tucker >Skynyrd > Allman Brothers mini set to end...Had no idea we would be cranking like this- first time there...

20210418_203343.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    P-Nutz and Dr Improbable like this.
  16. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The metal bands still play 100w 4x12 loud. These clubs/shows have a concert feeling, people are there to see bands play.
    The low volume seems to be more where the band is one part of the experience, and not always the primary part.

P-Nutz and naveed211 like this.
  17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I've played in bands of various kinds since 1962 and was asked to turn down maybe 50% of the time. There was one venue that asked me to turn my amp down when it wasn't even on. I can't prove it but I think the keyboard player's mother complained to the manager about my volume just so her son would be featured. It really pissed her off when she found out I had purposefully left my amp off, just to see if she would complain. She did.

P-Nutz likes this.
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes. The Edmonton School For The Deaf (Kidding, I just made that up)

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Beer and regional festivals and marquee gigs get the cranked amps a lot. Esp. the late sets.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

We played a few times at an adult day-hab facility, basically for people with Downs, Alzheimers and so on. The louder the better for them, no mics. Whatever we wanted.

P-Nutz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.