Have mercy! The Reverend's voice gets better with age

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is awesome:

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I love ZZ Top. They’re in my rotation of my top three favorite bands—the Fabulous Thunderbirds and Rolling Stones being the other two, with Waylon Jennings rounding out the fourth position.

The thing I don’t like in regard to the boyzz (see what I did there?) is that classic rock radio thinks they only recorded three or four songs, and that detracts from their real genius.

Their first six albums were good enough to count as a full career—in fact, those albums (by themselves) were better than most bands have put out in their entire careers!

They were brave enough to change directions and branch out stylistically, which led to El Loco and Eliminator and (unfortunately, in my opinion) Afterburner (my least favorite of their albums, but it still had some bright spots)...I know a lot of people hate Eliminator and Afterburner, but to entirely ignore/dismiss later albums like Antenna or Rhythmeen or Mescalero is ignoring some excellent modern Rock/Blues.

...and as dated and “fluffy pop” as Afterburner is, there are some good tunes on the album that I’d like to hear with the 80’s accruements stripped off of them, recorded in the manner of their earlier albums...in fact, I hated “Rough Boy” until I heard them play it live (I was there at the taping/filming/recording of the “Live From Texas” CD/DVD), just as a simple 3-piece blues song, and then I realized it was a good/almost great tune.

They’ve made some excellent albums since Eliminator (1983). In fact, I’d (favorably) compare Rhythmeen (1996) and La Futura (2012) with their classic “early days” albums like Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres and Fandango!

They were willing to do odd Zappa-esque stuff like “Manic Mechanic” and “Ten Foot Pole” and “Hummbucking, part 1” and “Dreadmonboogaloo” and “Crunchy” and “Heaven, Hell or Houston”...then they’d do a soft-rock song like “Leila”...or something that sounded like Warren Zevon’s lyrics on “Esther Be The One”...or a country song like “She’s a Heartbreaker” or “Enjoy and Get It On” or “It’s Only Love” or “Old Man”...or something that borders on hard rock/metal, like “Two Ways To Play” or “Mescalero” or “Black Fly”...

So many of their songs told a story, like “Rhythmeen” or “Nasty Dogs and Funky Kong’s” or “Going Down To Mexico” or “Chevrolet” or “Precious and Grace”—or a dark, dangerous tale—like “Neighbor, Neighbor” or “El Diablo” or “Master Of Sparks” or “Pincushion”...or songs about Tex-centric stuff like “Balinese” or “La Grange” or “Mexican Blackbird”...and lots of songs about driving and cars, because in Texas you don’t judge a trip in miles, you judge it in hours that you’re gonna have to drive.

...and each of their 15 albums—whether they sold well or not—have at least 2-3 killer tunes that could carry the whole disc. Recycler blessed us with “My Head’s In Mississippi”—a Texas Roadhouse Blues tune filtered through a Salvador Dali mindset—which grants the album an above-average rating in my mind.

“La Grange” and “Tush” and “Gimme All Your Lovin’” and “Legs” are all great tunes...but dang it, that’s not their whole catalog, and I wish more people knew that...

mugen74 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup!
    I love every pre-Eliminator album.
    Not a cull in the lot.
    Rio Grande Mud is my favorite, followed by Tres Hombres, Fandango, Deguello, and El Loco.
    Long(er) may they run!

Fiesta Red and CCK1 like this.
  4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

hmmmm.... great performance but I wasn't a fan of the "extended" version of this that they did. Felt like the other verses were kind of forced, but hey, I've heard the original studio version a billion times, so that probably has something to do with it.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i like his playing better than his singing. that really is saying a lot.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.