1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have I reached 10,000 hours?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by MilwMark, Aug 14, 2017.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to obsess over every detail of a guitar. And "only" be able to play guitars with very exact specs (baseball bat neck, 9.5 radius, certain frets, etc.)

Over the last six months or so I've become much more ecumenical. Flat or rounded radius. Flat or arched top, various fret sizes, different scale lengths. Seem to be comfortable playing a wide array of guitars.

I can't quite put my finger on why? Maybe I've finally been at it enough not to sweat the little stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I still have preferences for sure. But it's kind of nice not to be trapped by rigid boundaries.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think being adaptable to things is far preferable to being bound in by certain sets of parameters, and, one can realize advantages they maybe were missing, when they open themselves up to things

enterprise likes this.
  3. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

I don't have the reference handy but it seems that doing the exact opposite of what you used to do would speed up your learning significantly. More precisely, if you want to learn a phrase, scale, or something like that, the best thing to do should be practicing with slight variations. For instance playing it on different guitars, or in different keys, or even in different environments (locations). It seems that the brain learns much more efficiently that way than when you obsess over and over with the same exact repetitions.

rich815 and enterprise like this.
  4. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

You could also just have grown up. :D

AAT65 likes this.
  5. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I'm in your same camp. I'm trying to stop the "if I only had a guitar that had [bigger frets, smaller frets, lighter body, bigger neck, smaller neck, shielded cavities, hotter pots, nitro finish, different pickups etc. etc.] I would somehow become a better player". Buying a Jim Campilongo '59 top loader won't make me play like Jim Campilongo. Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful to buy guitars but I've finally decided after over 50 years to really learn to play the guitar and you can do that on any instrument with reasonable intonation and that will stay in tune regardless of the other component details.

Dave

Grodad likes this.
  6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Getting my first RW fretboard was a big step for me. It was on a Strat with gold hardware and a tort PG, too, all of which I normally would have mocked. I can't explain why, but I fell in GAS with it and now I'm a lot less of a purist about fretboards.

I think it's just about maturing out of your comfort zone.

But I'm still not interested in buying anything by Gibson. Though I wouldn't turn my back on a vintage 335, probably.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting. I'll be honest. I've come to believe that Gibson is a really great value. I can get a new SG Standard with a hard case for right around $1000. MIA. Bound, set neck. Nitro. Great fretwork. Or the LP Tributes. Those are like $800. Pretty amazing pricing when you compare to the prices some other big companies to achieve the same or similar specs.

enterprise likes this.
  8. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

True. But I dislike the Gibson sound, the styling, the scale length, and the business practices, so there's that.

Value is relative, anyway. I'm on a used-MIM budget; an $800 guitar would be a huge extravagance for me. That Strat I mentioned above was $400, and my other two Fenders ran $250 and $174. I love getting deals, and good deals are few and far between in Gibbo-land. People are too used to believing they should be expensive.

That vintage 335 I mentioned, ideally, would be damaged, at a yard sale, for under $200.

enterprise likes this.
  9. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

What's "ecumenical" mean?

enterprise likes this.
  10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

GOOGLE and/or a dictionary is your friend...let you fingers do the walking.

A: The Christian Church as a whole, or in its entirety.

enterprise likes this.
  11. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

Rock and Roll don't care about fretboard radius and all that other stuff, just cranker up and play the crap out of it, make it scream. All them specs and stuff don't mean a thing if you can't make them chords ring!

Omiewise65, enterprise and Grodad like this.
  12. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Guitar playing (and GASsing) is my hobby as well. I was certain that I had a specific #1 electric. Thought so for years. One 3 week holiday break (with close to no guitar playing) later, I suddenly dont feel that way.

And I am humbled by the simplicity of an affordable bariuke, simple strumming with singing and nothing else.

Sometimes you discover - an unexpected change! Cool, run with it.

13. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it comes with experience. When you start you typically only have one guitar and this is your comfort zone. If you acquire a different style guitar or a bass, it then becomes a lot easier to adapt. Similar with amps - once you have a concept of what "your sound" is, you can dial in something similar to most amps that are put in front of you.

14. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

On the subject of Malcolm GLadwell and his 10,000 hour theory, here's his take on the Beatles:

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  15. Grodad

Grodad Tele-Meister

Probably one of the most sensible and wisest posts I've read on here for a long time!

16. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ THIS ^^^

The best way to become great at something is to do it over, and over, and over. Eventually you get really good, and really consistent. It becomes 2nd nature, a part of what you do.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    enterprise and ravindave_3600 like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting use of ecumenical.

I have the same sense of not being as obsessive over the details of my guitars any more after 37 years of playing; though I don't think I care any less about my sound, so my pickups, amps and speakers are still critical.
    Course, I have pickups amps and speakers I like so I don't need to shop for the holy grail tone maker.

Still, there is always another amp that gets closer to doing everything I need.
    Cording to theory...

18. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Bottom line is, a good guitar player can make a ho-hum, junk guitar sound like the $2000 dollar variety. I have seen it happen many times during my life time.

19. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Very interesting post. I always assumed that guys who were that finicky about their guitar specs must by operating in some much more sophisticated realm than I. Interesting (and weirdly inspiring) to hear about someone breaking through to another side.

20. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I like this use of "ecumenical." As @Old Tele man notes, you see it used mostly in theology, referring to cooperation across denominational or even religious lines. @MilwMark 's recent embrace of more options than he had heretofore tolerated in guitar-playing is given a nice flair by the use of "ecumenical" here, as if different guitar setups or models represent what are normally thought of as mutually exclusive or narrowly held paths, with adherence to each being almost religious in its devotion. Which is often true!

Piggy Stu and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.