Have I got this basically right?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Feb 16, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I think I’m very close to pulling the trigger on the Vox Cambridge50. The question I have I've asked in a thread I started about the amp, but I want to "cast a wider net," as it were, to get other impressions as to whether or not I'm understanding how this modeling amp thing works in principle. Those who are not owners of the Cambridge50 but have the VX50 GTV, or the Valvetronix amps might be able to contribute to this. And some may be able to speak to whether modeling amps other than Vox products work on the same principle.

I just need to be sure I understand how to use the tech before I pull the trigger. I’ve never even seen, much less test driven, the Cambridge50. So for my decision-making process, it’s very important for me to confirm that I truly do understand how the amp works, and how it could work for me.

Basically, the amp in its manual mode is when top panel settings—amp model selection, EQ, effects—are engaged. Manipulating the control knobs on the top panel directly impact the amp’s sound.

But when I press (or click with the VFS2, which I already have) the PROGRAM mode, I get a factory preset available typical of each amp model selection. And that also in PROGRAM mode, I can create/write my own user program, save it, and then in performance with a click of the footswitch I can recall that user program for my instrumental break, then with another click of the same switch, I’d be back in manual mode.

So, for example, I’m playing on the “Boutique CL” for my clean tone during the verses of a song, with just a touch of tremolo and spring reverb. Then, for an instrumental break, I click the footswitch and bring up my user program A, and presto! My tone is now the “Brit 1959” amp model, with phase and echo for effects. Then, when my lead part (or what passes for lead playing when I do it ) is done, another click of the same switch, and I’m back to Boutique CL with trem and verb.

Have I got that right? This may seem like a very basic question to many, but the truth is, I’ve never owned a modeling amp, and I’ve never created or recalled a user program. Even with my BOSS ME-70 multi effects pedal, I’ve never done presets and programs, never written or created them. I’ve only ever used it in manual mode. So I’m asking: do I have the right understanding of how this works?

The only member here I know of that has this amp is @scattitude but I’m assuming that the principles are the same with most modeling amps, and that owners of Katanas or Nextones can speak to this in principle as well. Thanks in advance, y'all.

If you want the benefit of reading the manual on this amp before venturing an answer, I understand. Here is the link to that pdf document...https://48r18hv56p93dbg741fo98ui-wp...uploads/2020/01/VOX_Cambridge50_OM_EFGSJ1.pdf

To make it simpler, I've taken screenshots from that owner's manual and pasted them here. The first screenshot is of a portion of page 4 of the Vox Cambridge50 Owner's Manual. The rest of the images are from page 7.
    upload_2020-2-16_15-20-55.png

upload_2020-2-16_15-27-39.png
    upload_2020-2-16_15-41-59.png
    upload_2020-2-16_15-42-44.png
    upload_2020-2-16_15-43-46.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Have you actually PLAYED the Cambridge50, Larry? Before I got "turned on" to the PF15Rs, I owned a Valvetronics VT 20+.......and, while it wasn't terrible, I came to realize the sound examples just weren't very accurate or pleasing to my ear. I found changing "voices" not as quick as I had hoped, (like on a gig) and the entire idea just didn't work for me. If you're gonna use it in a studio setting, it might work VERY well, but in a immediate, live setting, it just depends on how "quick" you want it to be. I decided, for myself, that ONE GOOD sound (the PF15R) was better than a bunch of "close but no cigar" sounds. So, I ask you, regardless of controls and settings, (which are admittedly very important) do you LIKE the sounds you get? I'm interested in what you ultimately decide. ;)

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No, Gil, I haven't played through one yet. I've yet to even see one. And the primary application would be gigging. I don't record, unless you count capturing a video with an iPhone.

I like what I've heard in YouTube videos, but I sure do want to hear it and play through it for myself. I would probably spend a lot of time on the AC30 and AC30TB models of the amp, and I figure Vox would get the Vox models right. I have played through the Mini Super Beetle, which has the NuTube technology in it, as does this Cambridge50, and does the classic Vox AC tones. And I like what I hear of the Deluxe Clean, even more so the Boutique Clean. I might occasionally use the Brit 1959, beyond that, I'm not likely to use any of the models for high gain stuff.

As for changing quick at a gig, well, that's key. That's why I asked this question. I'm not looking to do a lot of changes mid-song, just rhythm tone on the verses, then lead tone, then back again. If I'm wrong about how easy this would be to use at a gig and bring up a user program I've created for the purpose, then it almost wouldn't matter whether it sounded good or not. (Well, almost.) If I can't be playing along in the top panel/manual mode on the model of my choice, then quickly and smoothly click in a user program with my footswitch for my lead tone, I want to know now, so I can turn my attention to something else.

I've never test driven the VT20+, so I haven't heard it, either. But it also looks to me to be a more complicated layout on the top panel than the Cambridge50.

4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I think you have it right LGO.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.