1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have any of you self-produced your own music video?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 17, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

By that I mean not enlisting the help of a production company - you or your fellow musicians did the camera work, video editing, etc. If so, tell us about it (what gear you used, etc.) and post the video link here if you'd like. I'm curious about this - I'm producing one myself right now, the first time I've tried something like this.

2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Yes... I am not proud at all... still learning. Used Reaper for the music and used Lightworks for the video, I Think is free... and it goes fine

I did a first attempt when we were in quarantine... But I repeat... not proud...

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Life of Brian has always been one of my favorite movies. A friend and I used to sing this song all of the time when we worked together. Sometimes over the company radio frequency

Really thinking about doing videos also. Just for fun.

El Marin and Whatizitman like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. Just for fun. Anything more for me is beyond my talent, time, money, etc.... :D Just because I can write, sing, play, record, and film does not mean I can do any of it well. Jack of all trades, etc... Amirite? :rolleyes:

I made these by filming myself doing the actual recording for the songs. So it's "live", and no lip syncing. The goal was to do the all the tracking and filming in one day, in which I succeeded in both cases.

Just used ipads to film the takes, eventually keeping the clips of the takes I kept for the song mix. I used Reaper for audio. The video clips had sound, of course. I just edited or silenced that out, which you can easily do in any video editor nowadays. Outside My Door I think I just used MS MovieMaker. Rockity Rock I used VSDC, which I now highly recommend. It has picture in picture capability, so I could be the whole band on video. :cool:

After mixing/finishing the song, I edited the clips to "match" up with the song. Real pros use SMPTE. I just use my eyes and ears. :rolleyes: The results speak for themselves. That is, it clearly was for fun, and not to be taken too seriously.

OK I kinda lied. I did submit Outside My Door to a songwriting contest (Guitar Center?). Never heard a word back about it. :oops: Rockity Rock was just for fun. I mentioned in another thread how I was pleased with the lyrics, but also that it's admittedly hard to pay attention long enough to get them. It's just not that great of a production. :p

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius, suthol and swervinbob like this.
  5. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Well, yes and no. It's not really the kind of music video that's popular or expected today. I took an old recording of a song of mine that had a lot of imagery and a clear narrative and decided to attempt a video (my first ever attempt) that complemented it. For the last several years I've been doing graphic design work for professional music projects, so I used a montage style (something I'm comfortable with) using still photos and graphics techniques, and used the very basic iMovie software that came with my iMac. It turned out to be an easier process than I expected. Of course the results are nothing exceptional, but I had fun doing it and might try something more complex in the future.

tvvoodoo and ben smith like this.
  6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

not seriously but had fun doing it.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  7. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Canon EOS Rebel SL1, on "Video" setting. Surprisingly good quality for a camera video.

t-ray likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, I was in a band a few years ago that had a video produced by an actual legit production company. We're talking a director, two camera operators, booms, tracking pan shots, plus an editing crew... the whole deal. And they used two Canon Rebels to shoot the video.

9. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

I've made a few, usually just cobbled together quickly.
    Here's one where I just took fan footage from a show and spliced it up a bunch:

Another where I used old 8mm footage from Hawaiian vacations I found online:

And here's one that I spent about 30 minutes on, used about 15 seconds of news footage from outside the Tulsa Trump rally:

tvvoodoo likes this.
  10. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

In all of these I used iMovie for editing. It is pretty limited but very simple.

11. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

Here's one my friends made with only an iPhone - shot it and edited directly on the phone. Really impressive execution with such limitations.

In this case I think having a clear direction of what you want to do is important - they had a rough storyline in mind, grabbed a crappy guitar and some beer and a skateboard and had some fun. It also helped that they had a great song to go with it.

Skully and bendercaster like this.
  12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Just with iPhone and iMovie.

Here are recent ones.

13. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I love it. ‘Thighs’ rhyme will ‘devil in disguise’ - sublime. Gonna have nightmares about people spinning around in dark corners now though!!

ben smith likes this.
  14. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

hahaha thanks man!

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I think the best music videos and often the best rock & roll have an immediacy and energy that reflect the limitations of their production. Most of the classic music videos were shot very quickly in a one-day shoots that might've stretched into the following morning. Sometimes, they didn't even have much of a concept behind them, like INXS' "Don't Change" video, shot in an empty airplane hangar. I see some of that immediacy in the videos posted here.

Conversely, I've seen some ultra-slick videos that are utterly un-engaging. One of my daughter's friends had a music video made for a song she recorded, shot a by friend who's a pro. It's just the girl walking through some deserted urban lot. It looks amazing, and the recording sounds slick, but both are trite and boring.

I frequently formulate elaborate plans for music videos for my songs in my head, but I don't have a network of collaborators to work with, and the reality of making every come together up to a standard I would consider acceptable is daunting, and I drop the ideas. For awhile, I was planning to do something elaborate with a cast of Barbie dolls. I even bought a bunch of Barbies. Maybe I'll still do that one.

I used to joke about older rock stars having to hire young actors to make love for them in their videos. Although I might be that old relative to others in this forum, I've definitely reached that point, and have little interest in seeing myself in on screen, so I'm not likely to do a simple of myself lip syncing and playing along.

A not-too-satisfying work around is using public domain footage, which some here have done. Seven years ago, I did that with two songs. This is the first one.

It was not only my first time editing in years, it was my first time uploading video to YouTube. Since the image quality public domain footage was low, YouTube directed me to upload in a lower resolution. I made the mistake of accepting the direction, and it also lowered the quality of the audio. Now, I'm struggling to find where the original versions of both the video and the audio might be on my array of hard drives.

I like the way I synced the action and the animation in a few places, like a little hop Felix does across the floor while imitating Charlie Chaplin and the end sequence, but I the footage pool I was working with was limited.

I like the next one I did much more. I had 12 or 13 sources to draw on, but some of the cutting still plays a little slow for me now.

16. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

They say tomorrow: Great song and sounds great, too. Loved the video.

rze99 likes this.
  17. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I created this in 2017, using a bunch of Digital Juice stock footage in both HD and up-converted SD that I had accumulated over the years. The only shot I didn’t have was the close-up of the man’s legs as he gets out of the car, so I just found a pair of trousers and shoes that were close enough to the man in the stock footage, put my Lumix camera in video mode on a tripod, and walked past the camera on my driveway.

The song was inspired by my finishing my project studio in 2016, the Stones recording Exile on Main Street in the basement of a French villa, and Led Zeppelin recording multiple albums in the Victorian-era poorhouse Headley Grange, which Elvis Costello (who had rehearsed there in the mid-‘70s) described as a “Rock and Roll Safe House” in an interview. I read that and instantly thought, “Title!”

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

@t-ray thank you kindly. We did that one just before lock down. We thought the weird masks would provide a Little surreal touch. Now we’re wearing masks every day!

19. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

Yep. Did all the video work and editing for my original song. Used Reaper for Audio and Video. Phone camera to record the video and still images. There might be some green screen work going on here too...

suthol likes this.
  20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Neat! Is that a Mandocaster 12-string one of you is playing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.