Have any of you matched a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Tele Neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Broadc

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ThePlayer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer TDPRI Member

I recently put in a tapped Seymour Duncan (SD) Quarter Pound (QP) Tele pickup in the neck of my Telecaster. I'm on the fence with it.

I am not sure I want to get matching SD QP bridge pickup or go with something else with a totally different sound to complement the P90-like tone of the QP in the neck.

The SD QP neck has increased lows and less mids and highs.

The QP Tele Bridge seems to have a similar sound with increased lows but added increased highs and still has less mids.

So I was thinking about something that has less lows and increased mids AND highs
    for the bridge pickup such as a:
    SD Vintage Broadcaster Tele bridge pickup
    or maybe a ​
    SD Vintage '54 Tele Bridge pickup. ​

Have any of you matched a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Tele Neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster or a '54 Tele bridge pickup?

If you haven't noticed, I am a Fender & Seymour Duncan fan and I'm not wanting to try other manufacturers.

2. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

For what it’s worth, I put a SD hot stack bridge pickup in a Tele I put together 35 years ago and have never found a need to change it. Less to complicate the choice in the SD catalogback then., however.
    Wired it w mini toggle between vol & tone ctrl for single/humbucking/series modes and found I get a wide range of tones out of it; flicking to series mode also gives it just the right amount of oomph for a lead / fill.
    Doesn’t have the ‘vintage’ look you may be after, but...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I took out the original pups from my 09 Highway 1 Tele and put in the SD Stacked Vintage pups. I can’t put that guitar down! In all my other Teles I added the SD Broadcaster bridge pup and left the Fender neck pups. Wow is all I can say!

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I love Broadcaster type pickups. My favourite Duncan neck pickup is a split Seth Lover. Is that something you've considered?

The SL worked well, in combination with a Keystone bridge pickup and with a couple of (non-Duncan) Broadcasters. Different flavours- vintage and hot-vintage.

5. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Fender's Nocaster pickups sound great! I just replaced the stock pickups in my AO 50s Tele with a set. What a nice sound!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I paired once but with a modern Wide Range

Good

7. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

I put a quarter pounder in one of my geeetars and it lasted one gig...very muddy...no likey....fwiw I've three ssl3's in another and they're superb.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

As Flaneur mentioned, the Seymour and Keystone pickups are on the same page, in terms of compatible polarity and all that to make them RWRP.

His recommendation of a Split version of the Seth Lover makes sense in that an unsplit one, means a super loud neck pickup and a Position Two that's almost all neck pickup and a traditional T bridge pickup (like a SD Broadcaster) so quiet you'd need a volume pedal they way I see it. Same with the '59; same with the STK - if there's an exception I haven't found it yet.

I've had such limited success trying to mix and match neck HBs with bridge single coils in this fashion, on a Tele, that I don't recommend it any more. Make them both HBs or both single coils or else, do the Seymour HB with all those additional leads and have multiple options as to how to wire that neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.