Have any of you ever...?(take this job and shove it content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I am literally on the verge of walking out right now, but that's not my style. Gotta be a pro and stay clean.

14 years here and there was a shift about a year ago. Every day since then has sucked worse than the day before.

I'm done. Actively looking.

2. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Believe me, I have put a lot of thought into this over the years. My situation is more complicated than a toxic situation. I simply want something different from life. I like the Cuban quote. It is a matter of practicality versus wanderlust. I think I have been this way ever since reading Travels With Charley... My OP is somewhat misleading. It's not just this particular job that I want shove... I want something different. The more I think about it, the more I believe I would NOT regret doing something like this. I might not regret staying in my job and doing the practical thing, even if it means I would never do a trip like this. It's almost a risk/reward question.

MattyK-USA likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Can you take a leave of absence from your job without losing it? How is the $$$ situation in the different scenarios?

If I only could, I'd love to take a year off right now and travel somewhere in SE Asia. They love me there! People come up to me, rub my belly and say "Happy Buddha!". No idea why...

4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yep. About 30 years ago. I lived.

5. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

In 2012 I quit my full time job and decided to concentrate on my art full time. So for 4 years I painted almost every day, built up a body of work, sold some did shows etc. I also taught guitar lessons, whatever gigs I could get and operated a small office cleaning business.

It was a very bohemian period..some great satisfaction as well.. really went at it everyday.

In 2016 I started back working full time in a job that allows me to play music and paint and have a steady income coming in.2012-16 It was a very tough financially and my wife and I barely scraped by and things were stressfull sometimes..so you need to consider family too.. Sometimes you have to try stuff..life is too short to play it safe all the time.

6. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I once got caught in the crossfire when a co-worker found out by accident what everyone was making. He raised a fuss and was fired. He came back with an AR and threatened to shoot up the place.
    I asked what the heck was going on. I found out about the 'wage list' and that a new hire with no experience was making as much as I was after five years. I said something to a another co-worker.
    Welll... first, I was offered an immediate $3/hr raise.
    Then a week later my co-worker and I were fired for bull-pucky reasons to remove all the people who found out exactly what everyone was making.
    Later I mentioned this story to a CPA friend who was the CFO of a large bank.
    He told me he had once fired three vice-president level employees who had been talking out of school about what they were making. I was a little shocked, but it was basically the same thing that happened to me.

Mark

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

thought would of retired by end of last year. probably one year more..but my company is thriving & kinda enjoying it .going to bank 1 more year,,,then i will be cool till the other retirement thing kicks in in 7 years,,that will be all play money;;;.taking it all in...i like my workers & their families...we became a tight bunch of misfits that avg 20 min eta for our lockout calls., covering a pretty decent span..I concentrated on service first...let the money follow...it did.....so when Mrs. is through final medical(nothing left to do soon-sucks) we done...moving south....then i can tell my self to shove it....

Stubee and getbent like this.
  8. Got Twang

Got Twang TDPRI Member

I did the same thing, for a Neil Young concert. Actually, I just didn't show up for work that night and never went back.

teleman1 likes this.
  9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Well, I don’t drive but I do encourage everyone to quit their jobs. I do it to all of them eventually.

10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Today, the job shoved me. Happens when the original founders sell out to private equity and 'conditions change'. When the sell-out happened, I made a list of predictions. That's one off the list...

I only ever walked out of one job. Completely worth it.

11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I was fired from one job when I was younger for headbutting the assistant manager in a store I worked in, but in all fairness he had already punched me in the eye, so it was in retaliation. In my mid 20s I walked out of a hardware store, as the boss was under the illusion that his staff liked to be treated like pathetic amoeba.

12. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

"Don't throw out your old boots till your new ones are broken in... '

william tele, Deeve and MattyK-USA like this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it is super weird when people's salaries are hush hush. It is better when people know what everyone makes...

Did the AR guy actually fire the weapon (actual crossfire) or was it just a standoff with a stand down?

My brother was fired once by a VP when he'd been the top leader in the west... the new VP told him 'sorry man, I promised my buddy your job' My bro LOVED that company and job and he called me completely broken about it... I told 'get a lawyer'... He ended up getting 2 years bennies and 2 years pay at goal... the VP lasted 18 months and was canned. My brother went on to a long career with one of their competitors...

if you get canned for garbage reasons, lawyer up.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I retire for two months every summer.

Which is one of the reasons they'll carry me out of here feet first when I turn 65.

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped all work and spent about 3 years glued to the couch after a crazy breakup and court case with a personality disordered ex. I was burnt out and left with no energy or motivation to do anything but the most basic tasks. This was after a hectic full on work schedule that was relentless for 15 years. I still struggle to maintain motivation etc. It's best to keep some work/ life balance or like me you could reach breaking point. You will find that it gets extremely expensive to live when you earn zero income. More expensive than if you earn a good wage. Household bills double when you hold off on paying them and try to spread your money thin. The system kicks in full force and kicks you when you are down. You realise that if you aren't being productive for the system it will ruin you and rather than use what little energy you have left to feed yourself and drag yourself out of bed you will need that and more when you end up back in court trying to defend your actions and stay out of jail because you haven't been able to earn any money.

gwjensen likes this.
  16. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I worked my way through school loading trucks at UPS (Soto hub, East Wall, Load 3). This is late '70's. It was supposed to be part time, from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, but we usually worked until 11:30 or so, sometimes midnight or later. UPS is like that. Part time is supposed to be five hours, but it is usually eight, and full time is supposed to be eight hours, but it is usually twelve. It was Christmas Eve, about 3:00 am. All the conveyor belts were broken and they had people pushing piles of packages down the belts. I had had enough. I said I was going home. They said, "If you leave, you are fired." I said, "OK, I'm fired." I left. The next working day I showed up for work and nobody said anything about being fired.

So I guess I told them to shove it, but they didn't follow through. I worked there another year or so, three years total. It was a good job for going to school because it was mindless, but lots of exercise.

17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I knew a guy that won a lottery .When asked what his boss said when he quit he said nothing I never went back I think he's smart enough to figure it out

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Thanks to working in the fickle world of software development, I've got a whole playlist of these songs about either quitting or being fired...

Sometimes you gotta move...

And I'm tired of these dirty old sidewalks
    Think I'll walk off my steady job today

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Sort of but I was younger than the OP here, had very desirable tech skills for the time, and never thought we'd be parents. I told my boss "I'm fired.". It started a good run of much travel and adventure. Outdoor sports bum with tech skills paying the bills. What fun while it lasted. Then .com era became .bomb. Some of my projects and gigs were for investors including one of the talking heads who would be on CNBC Squak Box in back in the day. One gig was for a startup I was sure would fail via how the founder would spend the investors' money.

This is crazy to think about now because we became parents, that flipped a switch, and I've been totally in love with family life that followed. It was great to have that good run living like the cover of an adventure magazine but honestly, nothing compares to my wife and kids.

20. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

yes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.