Have any of you ever...?(take this job and shove it content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jan 14, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I quit my very good job twice to go sailing.
    -In 1983 I quit for 1.5 years and sailed to Mexico. Had a great time.
    My ex-job paid to ship the boat back to get me to come back. Lucky me.

-In 1998 I quit an exec job to sail Annapolis to Trinidad etc for 2.5 years. Carribean trip.
    After that I had a couple lower pressure jobs before I retired.

It worked out well and I'm glad I did. But at the same time, I left a TON of money on the table by doing that second trip. I would have a lot of money to give my kids when I die if I hadn't done that, or waited even just 5 years or more.

Stubee and gwjensen like this.
  2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

I'm not a "take this job and shove it" kind of guy. I have the opposite problem, I can't let others down.

I had a summer job once, with another guy, who really needed some help. I encouraged and went with him to the temp employment agency in town and we picked up a factory job together. Our job was working outside maintaining the grounds and other unskilled jobs supporting the machine shop (carrying stuff, putting out fires, cleaning, cutting trails through the woods in the back lot for a settling pond).

Anyway, 4 guys were hired to do the work (including the two of us). Well, my buddy ended up quitting after 2 weeks, saying there was easier work and equally bad pay in other places. Another of the guys complained it was too hot outside and was put to task sorting screws that fell out of the bins in the machine shop. The last guy was fired. So I picked up the slack and did the work of all 4 of us. I was exhausted daily but kept going knowing it was temp work and they knew I was gone at the end of the summer.

Well, being who I am, they took notice and it got around the management when I was leaving, why I was leaving, and when I was graduating. I was offered a job in the front office rebuilding their computer systems and running their IT after I graduated (which I ultimately declined).

---

But man - don't ever give up. Don't quit one job without another lined up. Don't be impulsive. Opportunities present themselves. I'm always thinking ahead to take care of what is important. Not reacting to bad actors in the HR office. Sometimes waiting out the bad situation puts you in a stronger place in the long run.

(please don't hate me for going off topic)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I packed it in and hit the road repeatedly when I was younger. In fact, right through my 30s. And that is why I work a crap retail job today, with no danger of being able to retire.

blueruins and Canner like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was hired by a company as a chemist. Turns out I was hired as the Head Chemist...because I was the only chemist.

Part of my job was to sample and analyze the plant effluent running into the river next to it. Then I had to submit reports to the EPA and state environmental quality people once a month.

It was simple enough: a comprehensive analysis once each quarter and a daily assay citing temperature and pH ... That was it.

Except when it wasn't.

My second year on the job was a low water year...very little rain...the river level went way down. One day, while out collecting my sample at what apparently must have been low tide, I noticed a rather large concrete drain pipe sticking out into what normally would have been about 10 feet (~2½ meters) below the water line.

So I went back to my lab and gathered the tools needed to collect comprehensive samples of the sediment at the mouth of the pipe, the water within the pipe, and the slime inside the pipe.

Whereupon I took half and ran as thorough analysis as I was equipped to do. I sent the other half to an outside lab that was able to do far more detailed testing than I.

And then I waited.

Their results, which cost the company several thousand dollars (I spared no expense!) confirmed my own.

I went back through my entire tenure with the company and amended all of my reports and resubmitted them, sending copies to the US Coast Guard and ...

Another stack, which I placed on the desk of the company president along with the photographs of the pipe in question, which had accompanied the reports...just so everyone knew which drain pipe I was talking about.

And on top of that stack was my resignation. Which pointed out that by concealing the second drain pipe from me, the company placed me at risk...

And therefore voided the NDA I signed when they hired me. Then I went home and enjoyed a scotch. The following day I enrolled in the physics program at our local university.

The company declared bankruptcy a few years later and the plant eventually became a ...

Super Fund Clean Up cite.

The owners opened up a new place a few miles down stream, never once contributing a cent to cleaning up their 50 year old mess.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I "permanently retired" 8 years ago at 55. I collect a retainer with certain responsibilities should it be called. That said, I've pretty much done what I want the last 8...gotta go, don't want to be late for art class:cool:.

Gaz_, Stubee and gwjensen like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

. . . Left a good job in the City,
    Woikin' for the man every night & day . . .

Gaz_, f69tele and Stubee like this.
  7. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

I totally understand the fed up thing. But at 55 in the US you are in the danger zone of being too old to hire and too young to get Medicare. When I hit 62 I had had it with work and was feeling burned out. But I did the math and hung on a few years until I got medicare and took a package at work. If you can't deal with this job maybe find a better one. But your best bet is to hang in there a while if you can. Good luck!

8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree that leaving your job should only be done if you know how you're going to pay for living expenses. Not doing so can take you very quickly from disgruntled employee to homeless statistic. Not a good way to go.

9. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very close this past year.

I was moved to graveyard shift because the guy on it was falling asleep, disappearing, and generally not fulfilling his duties. The boss told me it was only for a couple of months while they dealt with the other issue. Six months later, after avoiding one on ones, my boss said, "We need to get you back on days." Before we could make the move, boss fell ill and went on leave. I stayed for a month longer, and got called in to talk to the director.

I explained that I was not happy on nights. I had wanted to move up to a better position, but had basically become invisible to other teams. Said that I would need to make a move soon or be out. He immediately said he had a couple of job openings on another team. Better pay, better hours, and doing more of the kind of stuff I like.

I took the job just before I was prepared to walk and find something better. Lesson is to always let your boss know your wants and needs. If they can't help you, it's time to go.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

The closest thing I have to walking off the job was walking out of a job interview that I might have had a fair shot of getting the job.

I had been sitting in the lobby speaking to the other candidate, a young man who had a great education but no experience…At the time, that was the opposite of my situation—I had a large amount of experience but no education (I’ve since gone back to college and earned my bachelor’s degree in business management).

The kid was nice enough, but was your typical 21-year-old rich college student who had never worked a day in his life and was still in “frat boy” mode. He regaled me with the tale of his sports bar experiences from the previous week, and was concerned that he’d had too many beers while watching the football game the day before.

The kid was interviewed before I was. When I was called back, one of the interviewers brought up the fact that I had no college education, and stated that my main competitor was well-educated. I acknowledged that I had not finished college, but reminded him that ten-plus years of working in the field (and understanding the culture, lingo and environment of the Medical Industry) was more valuable overall. He shook his head, like I was ridiculous for thinking that.

The other interviewer asked me several questions related to the job, and all my answers seemed to satisfy him.

The first interviewer then said, “But you don’t have an education—You surely can’t expect to do this job without a degree!” I (again) acknowledged my lack of a degree, and said that my education was mostly on the job, where real-life experiences and hands-on training was more valuable than theoretical knowledge.

The other interviewer started to ask another question, and Education Boy interrupted, “This is ridiculous! How can you do a job you don’t have a degree in?”

“I do it very well, thank you...in fact, I’ve done it very well for over ten years.”

He shook his head and sat back, scoffing that it was even possible that a person could understand the intricacies of this industry without a college degree.

I closed my portfolio, and politely recommended this;
    “I think you should hire the kid that just left a few minutes ago. He’s got what you want—a degree. However, in six months or so, after he’s shown up hungover a couple of dozen times, has demonstrated how he doesn’t have the knowledge to repair the equipment and has pissed off every doctor, nurse and administrator in the hospital, give me a call and I’ll be glad to come back and fix the problems he’s created. Have a great day, gentlemen!”

That’s exactly what they did, except for one thing—it was five months later.

I asked if The Minister of Education (I actually remembered his name) was still with the company and whether he’d have any supervisory power over me. When they said yes, I said, “Call me when he’s no longer in a position of authority and we’ll talk. That man’s attitude will destroy your company.”

They closed the Biomedical Services Division of their company within five years.

ndcaster, blueruins, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Quit a desk job with one of the auto companies 23 yrs ago to go back into tile and stone.

I wouldn’t recommend it.

william tele and Stubee like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

And don’t ask me my opinion of folks who make a good living but don’t feel “fulfilled” in their jobs...:rolleyes:

FIND FULFILLMENT ELSEWHERE ! :mad:

13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That sounds like sage advice, thanks! :)

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This thread needs one of my favorite Smiths songs...

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held
    It pays my way, and it corrodes my soul
    I want to leave, you will not miss me

Norris Vulcan, drlucky and Dan German like this.
  15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I got a summer job in a factory I tried to quit after half a day. It was a mind numbing job on an assembly line, so I told them I just couldn't do it... They understood and gave me a better job doing a lot of different things, mixing chemicals, driving heavy equipment, special projects... It was fun... I came back every summer for five years.

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't feel fulfilled in my job... but I also don't make a good living. :(

stormsedge and getbent like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

^^^ oh, uh, er...ahhh....

I’m not very good but I’m slow !

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

One of my friends took a 2 year sabbatical to write and 'take a break' when he turned 45. He wrote his book and took his time off and then went back to work in his profession. Within 6 months he felt he was back in the same old rut and wondered why and what he should do... he spent his savings on the sabbatical (his wife continued to work but made much less than he did) and his two kids were smack dab in the middle of college when he took the time.

He was kind of unhappy and 'unsettled' before the break and even during it, he complained a lot...

Mark Cuban said something like 'if you aren't happy before you win the lottery, if you win the lottery, you will just be unhappy with lots of money' and most people think that is silly.... that more money or more time will 'fix' the unhappiness... but I don't think that it does.

If you are in a toxic (kind of hyperbolic word) situation, get out of it. But, if the situation is really you... well, fix you. It is super hard to do that and admit it, but it isn't that hard to do if you really really want to.

If you have had more than one 'toxic' situation... look inward.

19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

It is so funny that this just came up.

My wife just had a shouting match with her boss just a couple hours ago on the phone. She works in recruitment (as an independent contractor) and recently there was a change in her company. The owner, who she had started working for, brought in another owner to form a new recruitment group. My wife was ecstatic as the original owner was not a very good organizer and was a fly by the seat of his pants kind of guy, where the new guy was very organized and seemed to have some systems that their company desperately needed.

However, the new owner has started micro managing my wife, even to the point where he has scheduled two weekly phone calls with her to discuss her work and what she has been doing with her time (did I mention she is an independent contractor?). So last Friday she was waiting at her desk for her 9AM call to tell the boss what she has been doing and report to him that she was building her network (did I mention that she is an independent contractor and get paid per job she fills, not by the number of contacts for recruits she makes?). It seemed that her boss forgot to tell her that he was not in the office on Friday. My wife emailed him at 9:30 and asked if he needed to reschedule the call as she had been waiting for half an hour. He called her back at 10AM and said he was busy with some meetings and would have to check in with her later. So my wife wasted an hour waiting on her boss to call to discuss her goings on (did I mention that she is an independent contractor and does not get paid for that hour she sat waiting on him?) and was told he would call later that day so she spent the day chained to a desk waiting for him to call. She finally gave up at 5PM and left her office so we could go get dinner.

Her boss then tried to call her Saturday on her mobile, a day we took off and were out enjoying our town. She declined the call and he left a message about wanting to get together to discuss what they were going to discuss on Friday. "Give me a call when you have some time" he said. Then an hour later he sent a text, and then an email asking if they could discuss what she was doing for his company later that day. She finally sent a reply text and told him that she was with family, it was a Saturday ( a day off) and the call would have to wait till Monday.
    Her boss did not call her on Monday and when she inquired about it mid morning he told her that he was busy and they would talk sometime Tuesday.

Well that talk this morning developed into shouting as my wife told him he was micro managing her, asking her to work long hours for no pay, and that he was late on paying her for a job she filled a month ago, so she was done. Quitting, packing her stuff and putting her efforts into something else (she has two other businesses that she runs) that actually pays the bills. She actually walked to the edge of my office so I could hear the conversation. Her boss never really got it, she said, "I Quit" more than ten times and he kept going back to how many calls was she making and if she had followed up with her clients and if there was any news on a placement of a job they have going right now.

I was waiting for the "take this job and shove it, I ain't working her no more" but it never came. About that time a client called and she got off the line with her boss and then answered the phone in the most cheerful way, it gave me chills to think that I might be living with a psychopath who could change demeanor in a heartbeat. :)

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

This isn't quite the same thing, but it's related.

Does anyone remember that a movie was made based on the song "Take This Job and Shove It?" That movie was filmed in my home town in the summer of 1980.

That summer, I was fresh out of college and looking for work. The employment office hooked me up with the film crew as a production assistant, or gopher. I was there from day one, helping the advance crew scout locations and line up local businesses that could provide needed goods and services.

Our office was in a local hotel where we'd removed the beds from a suite to make room for desks and a photocopier.

About two weeks into the job, with shooting underway, the assistant producer (much higher up the ladder than a production assistant, which is the bottom of the ladder) rushed into the room where I was awaiting my next task, threw a script update on the photocopier, and shouted at me "I need 40 copies of this right away!" In 1980, photocopiers weren't digital. If you wanted more than one copy, you had to crank a big dial like a volume knob to the number you wanted. This photocopier maxed out at 20; if you wanted more than that, it took multiple runs.

I ran the 40 copies and then -- this part is important -- I placed the original atop the copies and took the stack into the other room, where the assistant producer was talking on the phone. This was our set-in-stone office policy -- the original goes on top! I knew better than to interrupt her on the phone, as she was not a patient or nice person. I don't hold that against her, she had a stressful job that only a hard-charging personality could do well. I put the copies on her desk and tapped them to get her attention until she glanced at me and waved me away as if I was a fly fresh from the dung heap.

I returned to the other room and chatted with crew members who were filing back in after the day's shoot to talk about the next day's setups and . . . to pick up script updates.

A few minutes later, the AP rushed back into the room, cranked the photocopier up to 20, and hit Copy. I jumped up, hit the Cancel button, and laughingly said, "You have to put something in here if you want it to make actual copies."

She said, "I need those script pages."

I said, "I made the 40 copies you asked for and put them on your desk."

She said, "Where's the original?"

I said, "I put it on top of the stack, the way we always do."

She said, "That means somebody's taken it, you g---amned idiot!"

I, being an even-tempered 22-year-old, replied "Kiss my ass!" She stormed out of the office in a fury.

My direct boss, who'd seen the whole thing, told me that since it was already late, it would be best if I logged out for the day and went home. Which I did.

When I showed up the next morning at 7 a.m., the producer was waiting for me outside the hotel. I didn't work with him directly very often, but the few interactions we'd had left me with the impression he was a fair, decent guy. He asked me what had happened with his assistant, and I told him. He said, "Your boss described it exactly the same way. Unfortunately, my assistant tells it very differently, and she's made it clear that if I don't fire you, she'll quit. I can get another gopher in an hour, but not an experienced assistant producer. I'm sorry about it, but that's the business." We shook hands, I collected my pay, and that was the end of my career in film.

TLDR - I got fired from "Take This Job and Shove It" for telling the AP to take this job and shove it.

gwjensen, f69tele, Recce and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.