Have any of you ever...?(take this job and shove it content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was hoping that my attitude would improve in 2020. It doesn't appear that it has. I see myself getting older and letting what appear to be "the best years", if not at least very good years, slip away. I have a bit of money in the bank, but not old enough to start taking it out without penalty. Some may say I'm a dreamer :D... curious if any of you have ever just quit your job, and did the "drive around the country" for a year, or something similar..... Interested to know how it turned out for you....

2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Sure did. When i was 17 I worked for 3-4 weeks a Farreels ice cream in L. A. There was no recording of TV to watch later. Well David Bowie was going to be on TV like a Fri or Sat night. They had me on. I asked for it off. They did not oblige. Yes, I quit and the Bowie performance was awesome. I never looked back.;)

3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Want to...but I'm a decade out. I hope I live long enough to enjoy retirement. :eek:

OldDude2 and esetter like this.
  4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I did that once when I was about your age, and it turned out OK I guess. But at my current age, I wouldn't do it again until I'm ready to retire altogether, because who would hire me?

Deathray and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    In the late 80s the economy was dead and lots of people were losing their jobs. The construction industry was at a standstill. A recession was declared by the government. No end in sight as far as I could see.
    Both my wife and myself were faced with possible unemployment.
    I was a manager with high seniority where I was working during the days, as well as playing with my band and making money that way.
    The owner of the company tried talking me into staying. No thanks, said I.
    So, we sold our cars, house and furniture and moved from L.A. to Costa Rica and built a little B&B. Lived down there for all of the 90s, about 10 years. One of the most interesting and rewarding experiences of my life.

kuvash, boredguy6060, NewKid and 5 others like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Not really, though when I was a teen I worked and quit a lot of short time jobs. I had a really flexible part time job when I was 20, so for a year or two that was when my band toured the most.

Was a fun time. Now I’m married with a kid and we have a lot going on...and a lot of debt that’s not going away any time soon. It’ll be a while. I’m 35, not totally sure how retirement is going to look for me but it may have to wait til then.

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I worked for a po-dunk hotel in rural Arkansas... circa 1993? I was a front desk clerk for three or four month. One day the owner came by to check on things (he came by about once a week). He walked through the area behind the check in desk as I was coming on shift and counting my money/balancing my drawer. About $2000 of cash just laying there. He said, "Why is the music not playing in the lobby?" I told him that someone must have turned the volume down. He told me to turn it back up - ok. The volume control was in another room down the hall.

He came back about 5 minutes later and asked me why I didn't turn the music back on. I told him I was counting cash, and that if he would stand there while I left to turn the music on, I'd be happy to do it. He said he was busy and didn't have time to stand around. I kept counting cash.

He purposely came back by a few minutes later - I was still counting. He told me to go turn the music on, or find another job.

I obliged him - I grabbed my things and walked out - quit without saying a word.

About the time I made it to my car in the parking lot he came out there following me, asking what I was doing. I told him that he could count the money himself, and turn the music up too.

Bassman8, kuvash, Torren61 and 19 others like this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

Also... in 1997, right after I moved to Nashville, I got a job as the replacement for "Customer Relations Manager" at a high end hotel in the area. I would have been manager over about 25 people. I was to train under / shadow the out-going manager for two weeks, then take over. After two days on the job... the only thing I had done was make coffee and file old reports... basic office admin work. I questioned the person who had hired me, and found out that they were actually still interviewing for the job... and that although they had hired me, they were waiting to train me to see if a better candidate came along.

I thanked him for the information, told him that since I had been mis-led in the interview and hiring process, that I was out of there... and I gathered my things and left.

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd love to take a year off. My life has been non-stop running lately and I'm weary. I know that stability and a roof and food for my kids is important. I know that marrying my best friend in June is important.

But my vacations have become "special project" times and are sometimes more stressful than the day-to-day.

Sometimes I wish I could just let someone else worry about it all for a while.

10. TheGoodTexan

Also... in 2001, I tried for months to get a job at the local UPS hub. I was planning to get married the following year, and I needed health insurance... so I was trying really hard to get all of that lined up. I think I filled out my first application for UPS in July or August. After going through several interviews, and meeting with several supervisors, and taking several written tests and computer tests... I was finally hired in mid-September! Yay!

I was told to show up for my first day of work on Monday, Oct 1st. You had to work 90 days in order to qualify for health insurance, which was the entire reason that I wanted the job.

After 90 days, I walked into HR and asked how I could sign up for health insurance. That's when they told me... since my start date was during the last three months of the year, I was considered "seasonal" and my 90 days didn't actually start until Jan 1st.

I quit on the spot. They didn't care, of course. As I was gathering my things from my locker, I was talking about what had just happened, and several long-term employees told me that what happened to me was not uncommon, and that it was basically done on purpose by management.

Torren61, OldDude2, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I left a job under similar circumstances when a wood bed frame shipped four times (to destination and returned twice) and was damaged.
    We made a line of nice but affordable solid hardwood knock down bed frames and convertible futon couches.
    He demanded I repack all those beds on my own time.
    I said they were packed as he directed and shipped fine, so refused to repack them differently.
    He said do it or you're fired.
    I started gathering my stuff to leave.
    He followed me around trying to convince me to stay, because I did all the machine setups and trained new workers etc.
    I'd had enough and was ready to move on.
    What a relief, got a new job making custom cabinets.

12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last November my workplace announced layoffs. I was told that I still had a job. I asked if I could volunteer and get a package - I fundamentally disagreed with the approach being taken and had just had enough of it all. I'm 58, both my wife and I have been professionals all our careers and maxed out our savings during all of that time, so money's not an issue (thank heavens). They agreed on a package and I walked. So, I am officially retired at 58.

It's still taking some getting used to, to be honest.

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. I've just had 6 months off between jobs. It was heavenly. I practiced 4 hours a day, relaxed, recharged my batteries. People act like it's then end of the world if you have time between jobs. My new company never even asked why I'd been off for 6 months. They asked why I left my last job (government contract ended) and that was it.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

The last time was last summer. I had a standing Friday night gig at a local /Mexican restaurant and was in my fifth year. At some point that spring, there seemed to be a sea change in the management's attitude toward the live music situation. I played outside on a covered patio, and on cool nights in early spring there was always some question as to whether or not I would play. I understand the economics of the situation, but there were several nights that I was cancelled when I really could have played. That set up the friction for what was to come. In late July, there were a couple of cancellations due to rain- no problem, but the final straw occurred in early August when, on the day I was scheduled to play, it rained in the early - mid afternoon, but stopped by 3:30-4 pm. It was still overcast, but the rain had cooled the temperature down into the low 80s, perfect conditions for August. I loaded up the equipment, and drove the 23 miles to the restaurant, unloaded, got set up, and was told they were cancelling AGAIN, because it rained that afternoon (3 hours before). I asked why didn't they call me, and was told that was my responsibility to call. Ok, fine! This is your call! Bye, I'm done! Packed up, went home. The positive result was, although I relinquished a regular gig, making $150 for three hours, I doubled down on booking my Assisted Living gigs where I play inside, out of the heat and cold, and make the same amount for one hour instead of three, usually in the afternoon, so I'm home for dinner. I don't really regret the decision.

drlucky likes this.
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Stay busy, and have fun!

MattyK-USA likes this.
  16. TheGoodTexan

The "coup-de-grace" in my job walk-offs was a little different.

I worked for [an international music and entertainment group] in the distribution channel. I actually found that job a couple of weeks after walking off the UPS job in early 2002. In 2007, my direct report pulled me aside to tell me that he was leaving the company for a better offer. He said that he was going to set it up where I would be his replacement. I was trilled. I spent the next month preparing for it, meeting with him, taking notes, getting contact lists ready.

He left on a Friday, and we had a big party for him.

I got no calls over the weekend.

On Monday, there was a big meeting called and the replacement was named - a 20 year old "young lady" who had been with the company for six months. Her previous job was that she worked the perfume counter at a local department store. She had zero education.

I got so mad that I went back to that old thing inside of me that forced me to gather my things and walk out. Life is too short for that.

But... I couldn't. I was married. Our health insurance was through my employer - not my wife's. Plus, financially, I couldn't do it. I had to suck it up and stay there.

About a week later... in the company break room... I overheard my new boss... the 20 year old perfume counter girl... telling a friend that she had an extracurricular relationship with her boss... that is, the person that promoted her instead of me. Dude was married and in an adoption process. She turned around and noticed that I overheard her... and her eyes got huge.

But crap. I actually did not want to know that. And it made me madder of course.

I didn't say a word to anyone. Not a soul. I mean, I told my wife... but no one at work. I don't play those games.

But a few days later her boss called me into his office and said that they were eliminating my position, and offered me a FAT severance package if I would just sign a piece of paper. He already had it drawn up and handed it to me. I read it. Like... six months of pay, no strings attached. I knew what his game was, and I signed that paper immediately. THEN I gathered my things and walked out.

He was fired less than a year later.

I've never seen him since that day, but I'd love to run into him in line somewhere in town (if he still lives here). I'd love to just bring it up casually and see if he'd talk about it. Then pat him on the shoulder as I walk away and wish him "good luck with that."

Torren61, OldDude2, drlucky and 5 others like this.
  17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nope, not me. Started working at age 12, had jobs through high school and college, moved out West and got the first job I could get. My marriage broke so I moved out and had to stretch $80/week to give my wife half of it for our kid + live myself. My diet one entire week was nothing but a big $5 bag of potatoes. I later had to move back to MI and in with my folks. For the first time in forever I didn’t have any job. Had to park my old because F-100 because I couldn’t afford insurance, hitchhiked 100 miles on weekends to see my three YO son and had to depend on friends & my parents for a ride to look for work. I had zero money. Those were perhaps the worst 6-8 weeks of my young life.

I was overjoyed to take a factory job at a large chemical plant. I still have the little notebook with my check list of job openings in it and on the same day I applied to the plant I’d also put in for a janitor job at the local art center. I would have crawled a mile on broken glass to get either job.

A few days after I took the job my Dad asked me how much they were paying me. My answer was “I don’t know, but it’s gotta be more than minimum wage”! It was, but not by much. After I awhile I hated a lot about that job but I kept at it and it eventually morphed into not a job but a career in the Technical and Marketing arms of the company that had me moving well up in income and traveling around the world working with folks in a number of fascinating fields. There were surely times of frustration, plenty of them and I did think of leaving, not to travel the world but to get a better job. After 32 years I was able to retire with a moderate pension and decent investment savings.

I guess I’ve always seen work as a way to earn enough money that someday I could actually not work, and I always felt responsible for taking care of my family financially. I know others would have left during some of my most trying times but it just wasn’t in me to do so. One big difference between me and others: I worked in a large corporation and unless you’d really botched it a tough situation could usually be resolved as a boss or you moved to another position. I don’t know why I’m that way but my father was kind of the same so I guess that’s where it comes from. I do know people who’ve “given it all up and set out to see the world”. Some of them did very well by the experience, some not. It was just never in my makeup. All power to those that are different than me!

william tele, getbent and RiversQC like this.
  18. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'm getting ready to do it now. I've had just about all I'm willing to take from this place. I plan on being out of here & back home to PA by May. I don't have another job lined up yet, but being down here is too depressing , miserable, and lonely.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I quit a good job at a bank once because it was interfering with my band practice time.
    I'd never played live yet, and my reasoning was, I never wanted to be a banker, and I'd always wanted to play live in a band.

I made the right decision, for sure

SecretSquirrel, Nubs, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1992. I was depressed and burned out at a job in the UK. I didn't renew my contract and instead bought a one-way ticket to Australia. I was thinking about killing myself. I can't swim, and I had the notion to get drunk and walk into the surf in the middle of the night. But when I got to Oz, with no job and no plans besides traveling until the money ran out, my attitude did a 180. I ended up having the best time of my life and I met my future wife.

2020. My job sucks and I'm stressed and anxious. One difference now is that I see can the light at the end of the tunnel -- retirement in 6 years. I reached out for help and am getting counselling on my company's EAP programme. I have a calendar where I 'X' out each work day as it passes.

farmcaster, Nubs, drlucky and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.