Have a story that worthy of telling around a campfire?

Vibroluxer

Friend of Leo's
I have a true Halloween story.

Many years ago I was a 25yo Penn State student and met a nice, curvy girl named Elaine. We went out once and made plans for later that week to spend Halloween together.

Now I forget what she dressed up as and I forget my costume too but I remember some guy dressed like Jason. Hockey mask, 10 inch chef's knife. As we made the rounds to the many bars in town I noticed a few people that were making the same bar circle, or close enough, that I recognized some people. As the night went on I saw this Jason dude at most of the places Elaine and I went. I can't tell for sure but I think he's staring at me.

As we were leaving the last bar, walking down Calder Way, out of the shadows walks Jason and 2 friends. He starts yelling at us then starts charging, knife waving. Even though it was only 2 or 3 seconds, a million thoughts went through my mind and I pulled my .25 pistol and got in a firing stance. He stopped rushing us about 30 ft away, rips off his mask and starts yelling "Shoot Me!!". It was her very recently made ex boyfriend. Well I didn't shoot him but realized the police station was only about 100 yds away and I told Elaine to follow me.

The police arrested Jason and Elaine and I went back to her place to spend the night.

The next morning, at home, I was watching the local news on the TV. You read it as it scrolls 1 letter at a time across the screen. De Lite Groove is in the Heart was playing and I read "A few hours ago Elaine Smith was arrested for murder. Details to follow.". Yes, my Elaine.

Apparently she killed her baby. And her mother was charged as an accessory.

And that's my true campfire story.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I have a true Halloween story.

Many years ago I was a 25yo Penn State student and met a nice, curvy girl named Elaine. We went out once and made plans for later that week to spend Halloween together.

Now I forget what she dressed up as and I forget my costume too but I remember some guy dressed like Jason. Hockey mask, 10 inch chef's knife. As we made the rounds to the many bars in town I noticed a few people that were making the same bar circle, or close enough, that I recognized some people. As the night went on I saw this Jason dude at most of the places Elaine and I went. I can't tell for sure but I think he's staring at me.

As we were leaving the last bar, walking down Calder Way, out of the shadows walks Jason and 2 friends. He starts yelling at us then starts charging, knife waving. Even though it was only 2 or 3 seconds, a million thoughts went through my mind and I pulled my .25 pistol and got in a firing stance. He stopped rushing us about 30 ft away, rips off his mask and starts yelling "Shoot Me!!". It was her very recently made ex boyfriend. Well I didn't shoot him but realized the police station was only about 100 yds away and I told Elaine to follow me.

The police arrested Jason and Elaine and I went back to her place to spend the night.

The next morning, at home, I was watching the local news on the TV. You read it as it scrolls 1 letter at a time across the screen. De Lite Groove is in the Heart was playing and I read "A few hours ago Elaine Smith was arrested for murder. Details to follow.". Yes, my Elaine.

Apparently she killed her baby. And her mother was charged as an accessory.

And that's my true campfire story.
Close the thread because no one is going to top that!

I have a couple, but here's one:

When I was 18, in the 70's, I was playing in a band full time and we all had a house together. One night the drummer and I meet two comely young coeds and after the gig they agree to come back to the band house. After some adult refreshments and unprescribed pharmaceuticals, we go to our prospective rooms to party in private. About 6:00 AM I hear this knock, knock, knock, knock ... and get up to answer the door. I did put on pants, but no shoes, no shirt and hair half-way down my back. I open the door and my "date's" mother is standing there. I know this because she says, "I'm Jennifer's mother. I know she's here and you go tell her to get home immediately. And tell Stacy (her friend) that her mother wants her home immediately too."

I go downstairs to tell her and for some reason it occurs to me to ask her age. Since we met in a club, and in those days you had to be 18 to get into a club, I naturally assumed they were both 18. Turns out Jennifer was 17 and a junior in high school. Still not statutory, so I'm OK. HOWEVER, it turns out her friend is 15. DOH!!! 15 will get you 15. Anyway my "date" leaves and I go break the bad news to the drummer. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He was literally shaking, thinking the cops were going to show up any second to arrest him.

Ah, the good old days!

Last edited:

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Close the thread because no one is going to top that!

I have a couple, but here's one:

When I was 18, in the 70's, I was playing in a band full time and we all had a house together. One night the drummer and I meet two comely young coeds and after the gig they agree to come back to the band house. After some adult refreshments and unprescribed pharmaceuticals, we go to our prospective rooms to party in private. About 6:00 AM I hear this knock, knock, knock, knock ... and get up to answer the door. I did put on pants, but no shoes, no shirt and hair half-way down my back. I open the door and my "date's" mother is standing there. I know this because she says, "I'm Jennifer's mother. I know she's here and you go tell her to get home immediately. And tell Stacy (her friend) that her mother wants her home immediately too."

I go downstairs to tell her and for some reason it occurs to me to ask her age. Since we met in a club, and in those days you had to be 18 to get into a club, I naturally assumed they were both 18. Turns out Jennifer was 17 and a junior in high school. Still not statutory, so I'm OK. HOWEVER, it turns out her friend is 15. DOH!!! 15 will get you 15. Anyway my "date" leaves and I go break the bad news to the drummer. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He was literally shaking, thinking the cops were going to show up any second to arrest him.

Ah, the good old days!
Really not all that uncommon in the '70s. I remember dropping girls off at their high school after a night like you described and in most cases they were the instigators. Things were different then. Now you would wind up on some peevert list for life.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Here's my only fight in my life. Cousin and I drinking in a bar, I was driving. On leaving some biker starts up his Harley and my cousin yells out something stupid I'm about 24 and light weight. Big biker attacks me with a heavy chain and padlock.
I had been studying Thai Chi as a form of relaxation but the genuine Kung Fu master used to demonstrate moves that are slowed down martial arts. He knew I was cool and calm with him.
Anyhow biker hits me with chain and heavy padlock. I copped one blow then went into action. Next thing biker is in the gutter with my foot on his Adam's apple. I simply said " It wasn't me" regarding the remark. So, I let him go. Pax. All cool. Only "fight " I ever had in 66 years of life.
So when you see Chinese pracising Thai Chi in the park, as old and slow as they are moving, be aware of what they are capable of . The firsy move is " Swallow tail right " a good way to catch and snap an elbow.

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted
So, 6 years ago at my buddy's cottage on Big Gull Lake near Ottawa:
he had been telling me about freaky stuff & UFO's up there.
I know he's solid & I was intrigued by his experiences.
So midnight on a late August weekend we walked down to his dock to stargaze.
Dang if after 20 minutes one silently drifts right over our heads !!! WTH ?
I swear on my Granny, it was about 50' diameter & brassy looking from the porch light.
I could've hit it with a sling shot!
Wowy was all I kept saying !
Real friggin' proof in front of my own eyes !
Never doubted a word he spoke after that....

Makes me wonder about Sasquatch now? Probably REAL too!
Strange world, eh?

This guy could write a Best-seller/movie with all that's happened to him since boyhood.
He's Scared of them & said the Grays are Mean!

Here's a screenshot from YouTube of a Bigfoot not mine:

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2019.11.png

Last edited:

Spox

Tele-Holic
Going back thirty years I met a guy a few times, he was a friend of a friend and seemed like a nice guy, quiet and easy going.
His dad was a butcher and owned his own shop, an argument blew up at the dinner table and his dad decapitated him and went
to prison for it and the shop remained closed until sold. The mother moved literally around the corner from me and died there in a housefire about a year later.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I once made a campfire with only a lighter and wood. When we were done with it, we peed on it to put out the coals. Then we went home and had sandwiches. The next morning, there was a bloody fishhook hanging from the windshield wiper of the car. I knew something was fishy about that. It was never explained so it must have been...Aliens.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Fell of a car hood at 4 am. My neighbours were getting to work. My friends were worried, are you ok dude ? Yeah i am good, just let me fetch my glasses. I can't even imagine what the neighbours were thinking. Close call i guess.

A friend of mine ripped off my underwears from under my jeans and made me a tie.

I guess that is spooky enough for today.
God, was i dumb.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Going back thirty years I met a guy a few times, he was a friend of a friend and seemed like a nice guy, quiet and easy going.
His dad was a butcher and owned his own shop, an argument blew up at the dinner table and his dad decapitated him and went
to prison for it and the shop remained closed until sold. The mother moved literally around the corner from me and died there in a housefire about a year later.
I wonder if it was politics or religion that they were arguing.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Really not all that uncommon in the '70s. I remember dropping girls off at their high school after a night like you described and in most cases they were the instigators. Things were different then. Now you would wind up on some peevert list for life.
When I was 16-17, I played in a band that did pretty well on the local scene. Somehow, it evolved that we would call up girls from neighboring towns, and invite them to come over some night to listen to us practice. Then we would break out the wine, and pair off for more fun. The girls we met through our gigs, as well as friends. One night, I was interested in a girl I'll call Gloria. But she wasn't sitting close enough for me to steal her away. Reluctantly, I went for the girl next to me, Sharla. At the end of the night, it suddenly turns out that Gloria took a bunch of pills, intending to kill herself because she didn't pair off with me. Of course, this was all a big act, but we played it up. They called us the next morning, to say, "Hey, how are you guys doing."

A year later, I was a senior at a high school in another state. I had already joined a working band, and I was starting to play with jazz guys my age. Patrick O'Hearn was at one jam session, but he just sat back, shyly holding a flute and didn't play. Meanwhile, I had made friends with a girl from one of my classes, and we wound up taking walks during lunch. I talked incessantly about my musical adventures, but didn't make anything up. Finally, I told the story of the fake suicide with Gloria. Quickly, the girl I was with, went silent and avoided eye contact. She obviously thought that I was making it up, and maybe was having doubts about my other rock and roll exploits.

Soon, she invited me over to a friend's house, telling me that he would like to jam on Saturday afternoon. I showed up with my 54 strat and Fender Concert Amp, being greeted by the girl. I didn't see anyone else No matter, I just turned it up and did all of my usual showoff tricks. Still no guy, so she goes into another room to see what's up. She returned saying that he;ll be here soon. I moved over to a clavichord and did all of my keyboard showoff material. Still no guy. She checks again, and comes back saying that he thinks I'm too good to play with him. I never did see him. Back at school on our walk, she seemed more enthused by my acquaintance.

A month later, the steady band I was in played a dance at our high school. She stood up front for the whole gig, and later told me she didn't realize that we would be so good. I had learned to downplay comments like that, and just acted like such positive and surprising things people would say were just everyday things. "Hey sure, we had a good time. It was a nice gig."

Everything that year broadened my experience and filled me with confidence. I developed a network of professional connections that allowed me to make a living playing music, from age 18 to 32.

Addnine

Tele-Afflicted
One time backpacking, on a nice warm night, I set up camp w/o a tent, on the top of this open mountain, just above the trees.. In the middle of the night, I awoke with this weird sensation on my forehead. A bear was sniffing my face. I sat bolt upright, the bear went crashing off down the mountain, and it all happened so fast that I just fell back asleep. Black bears are more afraid of us than we should be of them.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
You mean like the time I was in Yosemite in the winter next to a 1,000 sheer drop and had a small rock get pinched by my tire and sent that rock shooting into my oil pan pushing it into the crankshaft causing us to loose my oil and sticking us on this scary as he// road in a blind turn, much more, rescue, getting stuck in terrible thorns in water, bleeding, then get to campsite then come the bears, snorting on the tent, we had our knives in hand, they got the food. We then said screw this and drove across Calif to the Pacific Ocean where we met some girls. But we were so cut up from those terrible thorn bushes, we weren't going to make those girls happy. The rest fades into a blur, we went home.

We got beat up by nature.

Last edited:

Spox

Tele-Holic
1980s and some of my friends were sharing a top floor flat. People who stayed overnight in the living room said that they could hear someone walking across the ceiling at night but since it was top story they wrote it of as dope imaginings. One night they were having a party and I was sitting against the wall in the hall with my hands at my back against the wall and felt a space between the wall and the floor with a draught coming through it. I mentioned it to my friends and they realised that it was a false wall and tore it away to reveal a flight of stairs and on ascending these found a fully furnished loft conversion flat. The only personal item in it was a school photo of a teenage schoolgirl which was left lying face down on one of the beds.

My friends took full advantage of the extra space inviting people to stay over but everyone complained of a really bad atmosphere in the flat, freezing cold and they couldn't sleep. My friends walled it up again and the footsteps on the ceiling started again.