1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have 6pos switch and humbuckers -options pls

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fattrav, Sep 29, 2018.

1. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I have recently acquired a 6 position 4 pole rotary switch (all parts EP0920-000). I have a couple of SD humbuckers (59N and a Jazz B) to go into a Joe Troham Tele while still utilizing the single coil as well.

I'm kinda stumped for options (as I am sure there are alot) on what i could run as a pickup switching, and how to wire the thing up (have my own solder station) as I have not been able to find a decent wiring diagram online.

I would love to have the humbuckers splitable, and be able to get strat middle positions sound, and maybe an "all on" as well.

Was thinking /Bridge HB/Bridge Split & Middle SC/Mid SC/Neck Split & Mid SC/Neck Split/Neck HB?

Though, would also be happy with a coil tap mini toggle (or using the kill switch as a coil tap toggle) if it gives some variation on sounds.

Has anyone done something like this before, and what did you end up with?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You only need a few usable options on a guitar. You want a softer, more bassy sound and a biting more trebly sound in particular, and maybe depending on your style you want a variation in high / low output. Having all the choices you list virtually guarantees that come showtime on a dark stage, you'll not be able to find the one that works or will set something wrong. More than maybe 5 options is too many to really make use of, so pick which ones really sound different and usable and wire those up in a simple, easy to operate way. There is a really good reason that super complicated wiring isn't popular. Especially on a rotary switch where it's never obvious what position you're in, or what you'll switch to next when you turn the dial. I have made setups like that and always ended up taking them out.

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, and the final part of my rant - the humbuckers you have are great at what they are designed for, but terrible as fake strat pickups which they weren't designed to be. Expect thin low output sounds when you split them.

4. fattrav

fattrav TDPRI Member

]
    Fully appreciate what you are saying. The JT squier comes with a 5 way rotary switch, and it is the bug bear of JT owners, as its a pita to switch positions. I have gotten rid of the standard dial and gone to a chicken head, which makes it a heck of alot easier to operate, but still not "strat or les paul easy" which are easy to change between. I dont particularly want to doctor up the pickguard as I have not seen another one around (tele deluxe with a single coil cut out).

Once fitted I will organise something to indicate relative positions (like removable paint pen on electrical tape or something), and thats fine because I usually don't often change pick up position mid playing.

Im kinda after a "can do it all, but not necessarily well" and dont mind the split of SDs as options, but really appreciate you input and realise that they aren't as high output (neither is the middle single coil).

5. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

My personal preference for pickup combinations on a HSH:

Top Tier:
    • Bridge Humbucker Series
    • Bridge Split parallel to middle
    • Neck humbucker
    Middle tear:
    • Bridge Split in Series with Neck Split (both outer coils, might become tricky when you want it to be humcanceling, sound will be lighter than singles in series)
    • Bridge humbucker parallel
    • Neck humbucker parallel
    Buttom tear:
    • Both series humbucker in parallel
    • Neck Split parallel to middle
    All these options can be humcanceling...

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

IMHO half a HB is half of a good idea, but thats just personal taste. Heres what I d do: all p-ups by themselves, sure, so 3 positions left. For 1 position: A screw coil and a slug coil of the two N and B in series, its HumBucking. G-N-B-+ will sound different than G-B-N-+ due to order and the p-ups not being the same. So will Screw vs Slug being grounded. So if possible check out all 4 combos. The difference is small, so for ease of wiring any probably will do. For another position: Mount the N HB backwards and have the Slug coil as the split. One position left: the two slug coils both grounded in parallel, then thru the Single M. This is almost always a great different sound. The best of both series and parallel. Strong and full, yet clear, and it gets the sound from a larger part of the string.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.