hate when wood shrinks....

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

really dont have a choice but to leave my wood in the garage at 91 degrees lately....yes its laying flat & already planed & ready to go....i try to let maple necks start living in the house for a few weeks before i fret hoping the ac will shrink it enough but it just seems no matter what after a build is done i have to file fret ends every few months/weeks for the first sometimes year of the guitars life....

lately i relized alder is doing the same thing....i have a few solid color guitars i did months ago & im seeing the (kinda) wood grain under the finish ...almost a shrinking look...like straight lines almost crack like...showing in certain light that WAS NOT THERE when i was wet sanding...its very minimal to were i cant even get a pick of it but its there....keep in mind i use all 2 k urethane stuff....
    its only happning on the alder i buy locally as the basswood & ash is fine.....im guessing its the wood shrinking since its now living out of the humidity...
    really sucks....trying to stufff my wood in every crevice of my small house is a pain....

2. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

I had the same problem until I started drying all my wood in a kiln.

3. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I'm not one of the resident wood gurus, but I do know that alder has a propensity for end-checking and splitting. It's usually not a structural concern, but it's obviously annoying. I'd guess that living in Florida probably doesn't help, as far as humidity is concerned.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you painted the board ends to try to minimize the checking? Also maybe bring the rough cuts for bodies inside, along with the neck wood a few weeks before you build to let it dry out and temperature stabilize. Easier to find a stash spot for smaller piece of wood . .

5. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

its not checking....not sure what it is other then shrinkage under the finish...wish i could take a pick but ive tryed & its hard to see....im kinda burned out anyway right now...i have one body for a customer im finishing & after that i may just try & take a break untill sept oct & when its a little better heat wise...just to hot right now...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.