1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hate Tweed Deluxe Amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Nailhead, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Nailhead

Nailhead TDPRI Member

My main rig (before kids and bills) was a tweed 5D3 and a tele or ES-125tdc no pedals no reverb.

I understand first hand the love for these little amps. They look cool, easy to transport, sound great, and break up nice or nasty.

I know why folks loved them.

Tell me what you hate about tweed deluxe amps.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hate not having one..

gabasa, Grig15, SonicLife and 24 others like this.
  3. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

My answer, expressed in the language of mathematics: { }

El Tele Lobo, irie, Tremade and 3 others like this.
  4. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

No hate here. It does its own thing very well. It cannot do other things that my other amps cover. However my other amps can't do 5E3 stuff. So I own more than just a 5E3!

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I would love to play through one someday...but the closest I've come is the tweed deluxe model in a Line 6 Pod 2.0. If that is in any way like the real thing, I thought it was easy to get it into a nice, juicy, complex grindy thing on higher chord voicings or chords with open strings ringing, but the low notes seemed weak and unfocused. I don't generally like a lot of low-frequency content in whatever I'm playing through, and I like the splatty fartiness of Neil Young's sound or Joe Walsh on "Funk #49" and "Walk Away." But when I played through that model, I wanted it to be tighter and if I were to use a sound like that, it would only be on certain things. As a one-amp guy, I'd give up some of that magical midrange freakout in favor of a tighter, "faster" amp with more headroom.

I also thought the Line 6 model seemed to focus on the more distorted sounds you can get with a tweed deluxe, because I couldn't find much of a representation of the lively not-quite-distorted clean sound I've read about them having.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My only struggle with my 5e3 is lower volume playing... Everything turns dark. But, at bigger volumes I love my 5e3!

I've played some gigs where the acoustics in the space were too good and the 5e3 became bassy and mushy, muddy. Those gigs are a struggle... Because I know if I brought my bigger amps, I could probably get a sweeter tone, but folks would look at me like I was trying to murder them. And, it seems so counterintuitive, big amp, better low volume tone. But, it's reality.

CoyotesGator, ecosse and mRtINY like this.
  7. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

I've owned a couple of tweed types, but I eventually decided that my ears (and my music) prefer the scooped midrange of a blackface Fender style amp. (OK, I really like my 5f11 tweed - in full disclosure) A number of my favorite performers use 5e3 style amps to great effect, and I love their work. It's just not as good a match for me.

I certainly don't hate any musical equipment - there are just some types of gear that I prefer. Probably more of an indictment of my shortcomings more than any lack inherent in the gear itself.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Had a hand-wired 5E3 clone for about a year. That amp sure looked cool. Can't say I hated it, but eventually I realized that it wasn't my cup of tea. I just couldn't get a sound that I liked out of it. I own a Supro Super that I'll never part with, though.

9. galtjunk

galtjunk TDPRI Member

I have a 51 Deluxe that looks like it was made yesterday. I love the way it sounds. I bought it along with my 53 Tele.
    I have a 53 Deluxe that has been modded to use 12ax7's. It also sounds great.
    Note the color on the Deluxe at the right rear. I don't think it has ever seen direct daylight.
    tweed.jpg teles&tweed.jpg

10. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

+1

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

I have a 5E3, sort of. Mine's in a tweed Super cab and is a 2X10. Sounds great, but it's a little too loud for home, and not loud enough playing with a drummer without sounding like ZZ Top. So it's not all that practical for my use.

12. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

My 5E3 has two switchable speakers and an attenuator on board...

jsnwhite619 and rich815 like this.
  13. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I had a kit build for a while and I liked it a lot. However it wasn't quite enough when it counted (gigs)--I play with a gritty clean tone, not roaring drive tones. Prefer amp volume on 6-7 and control volume with guitar.

I didn't like the amp on 2, or with it on 6 and guitar volume on 2 for home playing. So instead I gutted it and had it rebuilt into a 26-30 watt cathode biased 5c5 type circuit. It now is plenty when it counts. I then had a 5c2 amp built in my existing 5e3 cabinet. This is really the perfect home practice amp for me. 1 channel is grid leak biased, and it really gets in the sweat spot at home friendly volumes.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  14. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a 5E3 clone. It sounded great playing at home, but didn't cut it in a band setting. Not enough clean volume for my taste. I ended up trading it for a Conrad amp. Didn't bond with that one either and sold it. I've come to realize that Fender blackface amps are my ideal tone and that gigging with anything less than 30 watts is not practical for me.

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I built a 5e3 a few yrs ago; fired it up at home and loved it! After two
    gigs the modding began. Ended up with .02 coupling cap normal ch. and .05 on bright ch. Next changed 2nd cathode bypass cap to 10/25. Finally went with fixed bias. It's not very true to original design, but very gigable and works great for me:) So I guess what I "hate" is that
    original circuit isn't versatile enough for a lot of gig situations...

jman72 likes this.
  16. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Well I guess I'll have to be the bad guy......

The issues I have with the tweed Deluxe is the loose/flubby bottom and the modest amount of clean volume. I grew up with blonde/brown and blackface Fenders and gigged early piggyback and high power silverface Fenders

Howeve,r the tweed Deluxe is a classic sounding amp.

17. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

The sweep from no volume to loud is too small for my taste. IOW, if you need it to be quiet for late night practice, forget about it. Love it otherwise.

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

The best thing about a 5E3 is when you use it with a deluxe style Amp best if both worlds .

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Why is your user name not TweedyBird?? ;)

20. Horsin Hank

Horsin Hank Tele-Meister

What did you just say?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.