Hatch chile season in New Mexico

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by buster poser, Aug 13, 2021.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Dang you got a lot, big bushels! I've read that water can leech a little flavor, so I try to go light when I'm skinning but it's hard not to use a little.

2. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I saw a great recipe for chile rellenos the other day, been wanting to make some from Hatch chiles for a while.

Also love chile verde with pork. Would love to make both these dishes.

I'll have to check out the Food City. My daughter in law goes there for her ingredients for Mexican food.

buster poser likes this.
  3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I’m surprised at how much the insects like them. I assumed the whole point of the heat was protection from predators. On the other hand, the wee lizards are having a field day.

That’s interesting. Now I’m wondering about pronunciation. Is it like the English ‘hatch?’ On a video a while back I heard someone, presumably from California, saying ‘Cabronita Especial’ and I honestly could not pick out the sounds as in the way I read the term.

I’m pretty much the only one in the household that likes chilli / chile / chili in any meaningful or noticeable quantity. Japanese people tend to be pretty spice averse, on the whole. I’ve been to Indian restaurants here where waiters have responded with things like “Oh, do you mean Japanese ‘medium’ or actually medium?”

So, makes it hard to give away the excess. Except to my Korean friend, who eats them raw…

Also, I feel a little foolish now. I started another thread about storing them, but between writing that and later getting the chance to post it, I didn’t realise that a whole bunch of folk had responded here, answering my question. I tried to edit the thread title and contents to effectively delete it, but then while I was doing that, some responded. Stuck with it now.

Pax/
    Dean
    p.s. time for something ’chilli’ for breakfast :)

4. buster poser

Yup, pronounced just like an escape hatch and I am familiar with that Japanese heat, not to be trifled with. Thai and Szechuan will also light you up if you ask for “hot.” ;)

Timbresmith1 and TokyoPortrait like this.
  5. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

Pueblo chilies are better!!

Disclaimer: my wife is from Pueblo Colorado and apparently there is a friendly rivalry between New Mexico and southern Colorado about who grows the best green chilies. I love the 505 brand of sauces and they are from hatch valley so I love em both!

6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Friend of Leo's

Maybe as a delusion in the mind of those in southern CO, but the rest of us know that the Hatch green chiles are king. :) You can get them roasted and pre-selected in three grades of heat if you swing by the town locally. A very distinguishable, characteristic flavor for NM cuisine.

rghill, getbent and buster poser like this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I’m a poor cook with chilli. Can’t even spell it correctly as far as the true chili / chile experts go :)

I’ve never been to the States, and recent unmentionables have put my plans on hold. But I have a semi formed plan for a road trip, and a lot of it revolves around food I want to try, mostly in the south (by which I mean my geographic perspective, so, coast to coast border might be a better term?). Music forms the rest of my plan.

Anyway, this tv series is at the heart of it. So, it’s an idea that’s been fermenting for about 32 years.

Here's episode 1.

Pax/
    Dean

buster poser likes this.
  8. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

$.88/lb. at the grocery - always roast a bunch on the grill and put them in the freezer.

Had a green chile/BBQ pork burrito last week - damn...

buster poser likes this.
  9. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

I never heard of hatch chiles. They look a lot like what in Mexico they would call 'poblanos', but those are usually pretty mild. Do you know if they're the same?
    Thanks for sharing!

buster poser likes this.
  10. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

Yup! After handling or cutting chiles picantes, wash your hands with cold water and soap. (Warm or hot water opens your pores and... it will hurt!). And yeah, even so, don't touch your eyes or privates...

buster poser likes this.
  11. buster poser

They're quite different. Poblanos are (usually) not as long but bigger around and a much darker green. They are phenomenal, but you're right... very mild, sweet even. I cook with them a lot, great for rellenos and sauces.

Poblano:

[​IMG]

Hatch:

[​IMG]

drewg likes this.
  12. buster poser

Huh, I've heard that you want to use warm water to open the pores to let any hot stuff rinse out of them easier, and that cold water can actually trap the capsaicin in pores? I don't know that I've ever thought about it while washing up, honestly I just wear nitrile/latex gloves when I'm handling peppers. Every so often though... complacency bites me and I forget and touch my eye. Never fun.

drewg likes this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

sauvignon blanc from nouvelle zelande ? that is weird !

SuprHtr and TokyoPortrait like this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

my wife is growing some hatch chiles! how I miss Taos and going to orlandos and santa fe and the old train station or going to chimayo... and sitting in the garden and eating chiles in and on everything!

There is a gas station on the way to tres piedras where we'd get chile burgers... yum...

teletimetx and buster poser like this.
  15. buster poser

Good luck on the harvest and I love those kinds of places here. The best green chile burger I've had was in a tiny little spot in Carrizozo about 20 years ago and I'm still chasing that dragon.

It's wild how they're 'in and on everything' though. Like the first time I saw green chile as an option for McDonald's burgers, ditto Subway, Jimmy John's, etc. The most popular pizza topping by a *wide* margin. The Texan in me was almost offended to see red/green sauces offered as 'gravy' on a chicken-fried steak at the Pantry, but it's phenomenal.

Rmccamey and getbent like this.
  16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

my survival strategy during the recent unpleasantness had a lot to do with a couple of big batches of frozen Hatch chiles I had shipped up here and a big old bag of dried posole. with the shipping it gets expensive but think of all the $$$ I was saving on restaurants!

getbent and buster poser like this.
  17. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard of hatch peppers. If I ever see them I will buy some.

getbent and buster poser like this.
  18. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

Hmmm. All I know as I've felt actual pain when I rinse with warm/ hot water. Maybe cold water first to wash off most of the chile oil without it going into the pores, and then warm water with soap? If I'm feeling brave maybe I'll experiment. (I never have nitrile gloves around.)

19. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Afflicted

Yes!!! My father is from Albuquerque and has ordered Hatch yearly as far back as I can remember. A local grocery chain in NY has a weekend every year that they'll bring in some Hatch chiles for roasting. They might be more widespread than you realize.

20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

We've driven through hatch many times, it's cool town. Took a few early morning naps in the little truck stop.

Seeing the chiles drying on the roofs, and hanging in huge bunches for the first time was an eye opener!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.