Hatch chile season in New Mexico

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
What a great time of year, glad it's still something of a local thing and hasn't gone all pumpkin spice. I was concerned about availability after hearing of farm labor shortages in the valley and finding my preferred roaster looking like this Sunday with an "out of stock, back Thursday" sign on the counter.

upload_2021-8-13_13-35-23.png

The grocery chains all have their roasters out front too, but I like the indie guys here on the southside. On a good weekend late in August, all of these roasters will be spinning with a line to buy.

No problem today anyhow, just grabbed a half-bushel each of medium and hot, a little more than ~16lbs for $40. Offseason you can expect to pay $10+/lb, so it's a crazy deal for a staple we use year-round.

This is the medium-hot bag... about 10" around and the peppers are 5" or so deep. They're still too warm to bag up individually, so now my house AND my truck smell amazing... nothing like fresh roasted.

upload_2021-8-13_13-29-30.png

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What a great time of year, glad it's still something of a local thing and hasn't gone all pumpkin spice. I was concerned about availability after hearing of farm labor shortages in the valley and finding my preferred roaster looking like this Sunday with an "out of stock, back Thursday" sign on the counter.

View attachment 888432

The grocery chains all have their roasters out front too, but I like the indie guys here on the southside. On a good weekend late in August, all of these roasters will be spinning with a line to buy.

No problem today anyhow, just grabbed a half-bushel each of medium and hot, a little more than ~16lbs for $40. Offseason you can expect to pay $10+/lb, so it's a crazy deal for a staple we use year-round.

This is the medium-hot bag... about 10" around and the peppers are 5" or so deep. They're still too warm to bag up individually, so now my house AND my truck smell amazing... nothing like fresh roasted.

View attachment 888427

I hope ya'll have an eighteen ton fire extinguisher handy, it's looks like it could come in handy! :D

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m able to grow them year-round here. Yay Florida:cool:

It must be nice to have the whole town smell like chile roast though. I can’t get that here.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Grill, peel, freeze in a zipper bag for when it’s not Hatch season.
Thankful to be close enough that I have access to them.
I sure missed them on the east coast. I usually put 'em in half-pound bags which is around 3-4 whole peppers though I just freeze 'em with the skin on, seems to make them a little easier to peel.

Last edited:

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Just great.....now I want to eat something with Hatch Chilies! In 1995, my wife and I took a motor home trip from our home in the Tacoma area of Washington to Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, etc.

We went off the beaten track in New Mexico and stopped in several, very small towns. I still have the pictures I took of home made wheelbarrows full of Chilies drying in the sun. Now sure they were Hatch, but they were beautiful.

We stopped at a place in nowhereville, Tx to eat. They had green Chili on the menu. I worked with a beautiful lady who would bring in Pozole, Green Chilli, etc. I LOVED her cooking and decided I'm going to have Green Chilie in memory of Darline and savor that delicious hit of spice.

Well, one bite of this and I was on fire! Sweating profusely, tears in my eyes. I made myself take a few more bites, but it was so stinking hot I could not 'savor the flavor!

Great trip though. I got to play a beautiful Gallager guitar and a super cool Mossman.

westin

Tele-Meister
I had some Hatch chile powder for a while that I've sadly already burned through. Flavorful and not overpowering.

I grew habaneros last year and while they were good in limited quantities, I had waaay too much. I was like, "what am I going to make out of all of these, artisinal bear spray?"

I grow hot peppers just about every summer. I have habaneros, chocolate scotch bonnets, Jamaican hot chocolates, fatalii, and jalapeno this year. What I don't think I will get into fresh, I throw in either a vacuum seal bag to add to chili throughout the cold months, or just a regular ziplock bag in the freezer to pull out when the weather gets nicer [cooler], to dry on the smoker and turn into pepper powders. The fresh stuff, I usually roast and throw in the blender with some tomatoes, roasted garlic cloves, salt and vinegar for some fresh salsa. We made some mango habanero salsa for some fish tacos the other night, and put a diced fatalii into some hamburger to grill up for spicy burgers. I typically don't have a problem using them all up by the next growing season. :-D This was my haul from yesterday:

dSzoSfJ.jpg

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m able to grow them year-round here. Yay Florida:cool:

It must be nice to have the whole town smell like chile roast though. I can’t get that here.
Yeah, it's the quantity/availability here (must be great to grow 'em year round tho). Chile growing and consuming capital of the world per the marketing copy. I don't doubt it... omnipresent ingredient here, and it's not just for tourists' benefit.
Well, one bite of this and I was on fire! Sweating profusely, tears in my eyes. I made myself take a few more bites, but it was so stinking hot I could not 'savor the flavor!
They can sure get zippy, but I find them pretty mild and earthy in general. "Says you," says Mrs. Poser. Inveterate fire-eater here.

oldunc

Tele-Afflicted
Used to be a big deal, but now Safeway usually has them for a while at bargain prices. I like them, but I grow a lot of peppers so they come at a time when I'm already kind of overloaded.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Love ‘em and love the smell. Like to buy like you do, guy/family roasting them on the spot, using an old dryer/dryer drum with torch to put the scorch on.
In addition to all the standards, I like adding them to milk gravy and smothering some biscuits. Green chili gravy.

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Oh yes.

I have tried in the past to roast Hatch chiles myself, but only ended with hands aching from the capsaicin sinking into my skin, and a pile of ruined chiles.

I'll look for the roasters around town with the real thing.

Word of advice if you do roast your own, wear food handling gloves and don't use the toilet until you have thoroughly washed your hands.

Havins

TDPRI Member
Oh yes.

I have tried in the past to roast Hatch chiles myself, but only ended with hands aching from the capsaicin sinking into my skin, and a pile of ruined chiles.

I'll look for the roasters around town with the real thing.

Word of advice if you do roast your own, wear food handling gloves and don't use the toilet until you have thoroughly washed your hands.
roast them on the grill using tongs.....let them cool then bag and freeze them.....peel when you need them by running water over them......the seed pod will still be frozen....then wash your hands with dish soap...I've been doing this since the 1980's....no pain

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
First one, what’s ‘hatch?’

And, obligatory photo. From yesterday.

View attachment 888482

Pax/
Dean
A nice SB sounds great right now, and your peppers look amazing. A lot like our "piquins."

Answer as best I know it: Hatch is the name of a small village and much bigger valley in the southern part of New Mexico. The climate is well-suited to growing chile peppers, which has been done there for ~400 years, both by the Spanish and the indigenous Pueblo people.

Anyhow, the near unanimously grown pepper from the region is also called, duh, a Hatch and is a big (6"-8" long or so), fleshy, green (or later, red of course) pepper with medium to somewhat hot "heat" and a very distinctive, earthy flavor that makes it well suited for a lot of dishes, or at least everyone here loves them.

Someone mentioned it being like a religion in NM and that's basically it. Insanely popular and something most New Mexicans like, even feel sort of proud about.