1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has TV replaced reality?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

I just feel like nobody cares about the real world anymore, just their favorite shows. It's gotten to a point where it's like why even bother leaving the house if you can just stay home and binge watch your favorite poison? I hate to say it but I think that virtual reality is the next natural step; we're already there whether we want to admit it or not. There's no sense of community anymore, cable TV and the internet have replaced the need for the real world. Why should I even bother typing this at all when I could be binge watching The Office on Netflix and eating Cheetos laying on the couch while looking at pics of hot girls lol? :D

Roscoe295 and Obsessed like this.
  2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Well, we're all here trying to improve on our instruments, record stuff, etc., so there are some people left who aren't yet entirely plugged into the Matrix. But yeah, virtual reality is the next step. I have a laser disc of the TED Talks just before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in the early 1990s, when Silicon Valley was obsessed with getting VR off the ground, before they focused on Web browsers and online retail. As the technology develops, I'm sure VR in some form is coming. As Dennis Miller said ages ago (language warning):

3. Cadillac_Mike

Wow, what year was that 1988-1991? Miller nailed our reality 30-40yrs later!

4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing early '90s by the hair and the cut of the suit, but I don't really know certain. But I did remember the line! o_O

Cadillac_Mike likes this.
  5. Cadillac_Mike

It's one of the most brilliant lines I've heard because...we aren't far off from that sorta thing.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Well, it is always good to see someone from a younger generation "getting it". Congrats on your perspective. You give civilization perhaps a glimmer of some hope yet. The T.V. Has been a worthless POS for decades. Outdoors is where we should be most of the time ... unless we are eating, sleeping or playing guitar. And even those things should be done outside as much as possible.

7. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

We don't own a TV.

bgmacaw, wacolo and beagle like this.
  8. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

You will receive life programs that precisely suit your needs and desires Slip on to the Life Experience Grid today

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. When I taught year 9 Maths a kid askes; " Sir, Is it true that Abraham Lincoln was a Vampire Slayer before he became a President?"
    I couldn't even laugh, like all the students, because I had grown up with his Mum and her brother was my best friend at school . How's that for TV and Reality?

10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Neither do we, not for many years.

11. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

We don't watch that sort of stuff, it's just cringing. I see the ads for the reality programmes when we do occasionally watch TV and I can't believe what I am seeing. Are people so desperate to be noticed that they will do the things they do in public?
    This idea of celebrity, famous for being famous is massive now, or so it seems. I just don't understand or fit in this world anymore.

aging_rocker and beagle like this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Do you eat keto or vegan and do cross-fit as well?

uriah1 likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

"Can't really quit my job at the Dairy Queen right now."

Robert H. and Kreepy like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Lies have replaced reality. TV is one means of spreading the lies but the greatest source of misinformation is the internet. Unfortunately, this is the new reality.

imwjl likes this.
  15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Light a candle or rage at the darkness...your choice.

imwjl likes this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Confirmation bias? Availability heuristic (bias)? Demograhics - River Falls a little too much cross between WI Redneckistan and twin cities bedroom community?

While the media services and some shows are popular, so are lots of physical and social activities. Go try to buy or find a lot of sports items these days. An institution I'm in has people asking how to get in or get their kids into outdoor activities months before our usual sign up or get questions times. In many places municipalities and public lands management are addressing matters for increased use that started pre-pandemic. Musical instruments still sell. Maker type places and activities have a lot of interest.

elihu and buster poser like this.
  17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Also greatest source of information. Skewed by getting up early, so far today it's fed me some of the world's best news organizations, technical reference for a project, history, and crowd-sourced reviews for some shopping?

:)

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya.
    I do the basics bbc, pbs, nat geo, history channel, nasa channel
    no dramas..enough of that in real life.

19. bgmacaw

I'm not saying it's reality TV...

Aliens.jpg

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Lol..not the guy with tinfoil on his head..lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.