Has The YoYo Gone The Way Of The Dodo ???

CJM3309

Tele-Holic
My kids are 8 and 6 and we have a Duncan around the house. I picked up yo-yo fairly easily as a kid for some reason and have a few good tricks. The kids love the tricks and have fun playing with it.
20210911_181226.jpg

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a couple of Imperials at my sister’s. I think the Butterfly died before I headed for the Caribbean this last time. I was better at yo-yo than juggling. I still have my juggling balls in the closet.
Maybe I’ll have to get another.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yup, my 10 year old grandson just showed me his yo-yo a few weeks ago. I’ll admit, it took me a minute or so to warm up, but I was able to show off a few clumsy tricks.

Now where are those Duncan Imperial tops? I was more of a natural with those.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
My older brother won a local contest as a kid and got a golden Duncan YoYo.
Seems like Jackie Chan or somebody like him used it as a weapon in one of the martial arts movies.

View attachment 898189

Seems they are still around but pricey

https://www.yo-yo.com/

Yep, the YoYo is actually a martial art! Middle finger for me, flick it out, donk the perp on the noggin, back under the right elbow, over the left shoulder, drop the string, and into the breast pocket of your sharp suit ( hopefully missing the carnation tastefully placed above it ) - ...and the job is done! :)

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
In the late 90s, I had some Duncans, but Yomega was where it was at;
Started with a Firestorm. That was basically just a butterfly with a bearing on the axle the string attached to. Later got an xbrain, way easier to use. Like cheating.

My kids have played with the like 3 yoyos i still had, but they aren't "cool" again yet. Everything seems to circle back around though. Matter of time.....

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
When in grade school in the early 50's, Duncan Yo-Yo representatives came to our school to sell their products, give a demonstration show on how to do tricks, ability of each type of Yo-Yo and sponsor a Yo-Yo Tricks/Skill contest. In advance of Duncan arriving at the school, most of the boys and some girls, were practicing, during recess periods, their Yo-Yo skills (most of those not practicing Yo-Yo were playing marbles).

A Duncan Yo-Yo was also one of the prizes you could choose from when you turned in two completed Korean War Effort coin folders that held dimes (cannot remember exact amount but somewhere around $2.00 in each folder IIRC).

Yeah, and if you were a real bad-ass, you got the Duncan Butterfly. All the advanced tricks were done with the Butterfly. Those Duncan professionals really blew my mind when I was about 10 years old.