has the b bender seen its day?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by slinger, Nov 23, 2018.

1. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

other than Brad, Marty, Jimmy O..even Albert doesn't use it much anymore..I know the b or g bender is not a replacement for pedal steel guitar..but..you don't even hear psg much anymore..dam!..Waylon we need you and Mooney back.. [​IMG]

Kreepy likes this.
  2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was never exactly in the same category as Van Halen-eque shreddy, tappy, Floyd Rose wang-ey overplaying.
    Everybody and his cat was doing that in my youth.
    B bender playing is an aquired taste/skill set.
    There will always be a chosen few who excel at it.
    It ain’t easy.
    I try.
    I’d better keep trying.

5. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

7. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Check out that Peavey backline with Waylon and Ralph! As far as your question, to that I have no answer. I love pedal steel and B G benders, but I play more blues based than country. I did buy a Hipshot B bender with G bender and tuner that dropped the low E to D when they were first introduced. Got a job with a country band and the Hipshot really helped me at least sound somewhat country. Finally sold it, but wish I had it back.

Even though I don't know, with the proliferation of various bender options out there, I'd venture a guess it's stronger than ever.

Shango66 and Boomhauer like this.
  9. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Not for me. I've been using a Glaser single and/or double bender in country, Gospel, rock, and contemporary P&W contexts for 28 years.

11. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

12. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

It’s never really been mainstream - not sure any fewer or more people are using them now than in the past.

Saw John Osborne using one to great effect recently, so there’s a few around.

I’m just waiting on delivery of my g-bender Tele so I’m a fan.

BB likes this.
  13. BladeStratford

BladeStratford Tele-Meister

This is definitely a question I've been pondering as of late. Why would B and G benders not be a common addition to most fixed bridge guitars at this point? Why did the tremolo bar become almost standard with floating bridge guitars but benders are a small footnote at this point? Much like using a tremolo bar, there are musical passages that can only be achieved with a string-bender in place. As such, having a bender on your guitar increases your playing options and musical vocabulary. So why are most fixed bridge players, especially in the C&W genre, not using them? Hard to say. Some of it is related to poor marketing especially on Fender's part. I'm of the opinion they did a sub-standard job properly marketing the last version of the b-bender Tele they recently discontinued. They then release the Brad Paisley Telecaster but do not include a higher priced option with a G-bender even though Brad pretty much has a bender installed on every Tele he owns including his main '68 that most folks identify with him. Alas, another missed opportunity to advance benders into the younger player's consciousness.

Why players, especially Twang style players, continue to deny themselves more playing options and a larger musical vocabulary by forgoing benders remains a mystery to me. Other than financial restrictions, and the somewhat challenging logistical circumstances of having one professionally installed, I remain baffled as to why benders are so scarce with today's current crop of players. This is actually a topic I plan on addressing on my YT channel in the near future. Keep it Bent!

14. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Waylon didn't use a b bender. At least, not on any of the albums I have (and I have a bunch of 'em), not on that clip of rainy day woman, and not the one time I got to see him play live in the 80s.

The main thing that's stopped me from getting one is the fact that you have to hold the guitar still when playing to not accidentally activate it. I'm not pete townsend, but i like to move around a little. I could get a hipshot, but I find them to be ugly, and I'm not sure they lend themselves as much to the slow bend Clarence White type of playing that I'd want to do with one.

JL_LI likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

B-benders and steel guitar have both seen their day.
    I mean, I don't hear much steel on the new Drake release, you know?

16. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

good points.. seems like less benders available for sale

17. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

I know Waylon didn't use a bender but Mooney sure pulled strings on the PSG..

18. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dammit! and I'm almost done with my 20 year project guitar with a B-ender on it!

O'k I'm not almost done with it.... maybe next week I'll get back to it.

RodeoTex and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’d say the number of Bender builders now versus further back tells the story.

New tele and brookdalebill like this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I've got two and I ain't givin' them up. I don't give a dang if anybody else uses them or puts them on 'hits'.... when driverless cars finally come.. the bar business will pick up and we'll have all kinds of local sounds again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.