Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I am a big Gretsch fan and did enjoy the tone comparisons they did with the pickups and guitars. The issue I had was that they got so many facts wrong. They did thankfully say several times "I'm not an expert don't quote me on that", but in an episode specifically tailored to teaching people about what a specific brand can do and their history.... maybe actually do a little research and have the facts before you record?

They do this a lot. They have the enthusiasm, but obviously not the time to do these deep dives so they don't really relay much information. It all just ends up being filler with a few interesting nuggets buried in the hour long episodes.

2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've watched a couple of shows but like the PG rig rundowns better. Pedals are a lot more interesting to me in the context of the whole rig and/or a band mix.

fatcat and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. neilybob100

neilybob100 TDPRI Member

I watch episodes when I need to search for a type of pedal. I like the delivery and the experience these guys have.

But I keep telling myself not to watch these demo type videos weekly as it gives me GAS.

I'm more about playing. Andy's lab is where it's at for me and playing.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

4. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

5. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Thank you!

6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

'Jump The Shark'......great name for a pedal!! It may already exist?

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They frequently use a Hot Rod Deluxe.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And an AC15 and a Blues Jr. and a Deluxe Reverb and a Marshall plexi.

TokyoPortrait and Snfoilhat like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

it's not fair that they dont plug into jtm45's & jtm50' black flags..or 68 spec jmp's.or or blackface fenders or Silver ones..i feel the pain..how will i ever know what the pedals will sound like ??

10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

This probably says more about me, but, the show goes on for far too long. If I ever have that much time to devote to a screen, it’s just going to be something more meaningful. I could spare fifteen or twenty minutes here or there, but over an hour to discuss the subtle differences of transparent overdrives? No can do, fellas.

don71 likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

If I want a intensive deep dive into a pedal I look for a Shawn Tubbs video. Nobody plays better or dissects a pedal or device as well as Shawn does. He really does his homework and gives his reviews from a players perspective. The demos tunes he writes for are fantastic. In fact, I bought his album of those tunes called Demolition and listen to it every morning on the way to work. Still like That Pedal Show. Every Friday morning its coffee on the couch with the iPad playing blaring guitars to the sheer utter delight of the wife.

12. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I listen to them as podcasts at times i am otherwise stuck.
    I agree they are not exactly the same as a demo video. Often they're demoing sounds/techniques, not specific gear.
    I really like most of their stuff with the possible exception of the "pedal board build" shows.

MilwMark and dlew919 like this.
  13. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I like them. They are well-intentioned. Dan is a bit long-winded: "spit it out, man" I say. Good players, knowledgeable and sincere. But at this point, TPS is a luxury item, so I now skip through their vids unless there's something I really want to see.

14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Who has time to hate-watch Youtube vids?

If you like it, watch it;
    if you stopped liking it, then stop watching

You're welcome

RoyalBaby and MilwMark like this.
  15. _Presto_

_Presto_ TDPRI Member

I don't mind it, find them kinda relaxing.....normally watch in bed before drifting off. The long episodes are fine by me, I just watch them over a few nights.

Also it's a free YT show about guitars? Weird some people almost seem upset that it's not meeting their requirements.

16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I don't know what that means, but I like it.

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

NOT the world's largest pedal board. The largest ASSEMBLAGE of pedal boards perhaps, but it ain't one board.

18. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I find this to be an issue on a lot of channels. It's especially irksome when it involves TPS or Andertons and other channels that come off as being "professional" when it's obvious that they're just blowing gas and looking to sell product. I think it dilutes their credibility to a large extent.

It's not just "marketing" videos either. The level of mediocrity built into the concept of building a channel and attracting new followers leaves very little room for anything other than the basics. It's gotten to the point when someone starts explaining what they're doing by saying, "put your finger on the 7th fret and..." I immediately start to glaze over and shortly thereafter go onto something else. If you need to be told where the person is playing a note you should stick with getting a viable education in another field or at least figure out to start/stop a video.

After doing a deep dive into the world of Billy Eilish I've cone back to the old tried & true realization that it's not how good of a technique you have but how good you are at telling a story. YMMV but, seriously, it's a great litmus test for deciding where to spend my time. IMHO someone teaching spider crawls up & down the neck needs to get a life.

bgmacaw likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Andertons videos with Danish Pete. That guy is an incredibly tasteful player. Even though I know "The Captain" is there to promote product, I find him surprisingly genuine. He seems like a good guy. Pete also seems like a helluva nice dude as well.

I used to feel that way about Mick but he's become too full of himself and he talks more than he plays. I think Dan seems like a snob and know it all. "You can't get such and such tones from these amps." BS.

The things that I think I've learned the following from watching various YouTube videos about pedals:
    1) some pedals play nicer with certain types of amps.
    2) you have use an amp appropriate for your venue, style.
    3) If you take the time to find the sweet spot for the pedal and amp to work in concert you can make most things work
    4) Most folks don't really have an application for more esoteric setups
    5) Great tones have been achieved through the years with much less sophisticated setups, i.e no buffered gig rigs; no wet/dry signal chains, etc. Is it cool? Maybe. Is it necessary? No.

20. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

• Some episodes I prefer listening to while I walk around the neighborhood. Others, like the Gretsch, I really want to see.
    • The recent episode on parallel drive effects turned me onto something I hadn't seriously considered before.
    • It's refreshing to watch men interact without competing.
    • I don't like it when they demo things they haven't properly studied beforehand. They don't like to be judged unfairly, but sometimes their own judgments are hasty and ill-informed. I wish they would divert some of the energy they spend on filming and post-production to pre-filming study and research. Mick, I know if you're reading this, it's going to sting. But you were an editor, and you wouldn't tolerate in your writers what you allow here in yourself.
    • I like the episodes where they run through a list of concrete ideas.
    • It's fun to hear slang and accents from other places.
    • The episode on building your first pedal board was practical and came when I needed it.
    This early episode is my favorite so far, and helped me sculpt a tone for my first solo that could actually be heard:

This one was useful too, though the title is misleading: You might need an EQ pedal, but in practice they don't use one themselves:

Last week I was thinking (again) about buying a Vox MV50. The look on Dan's face in this episode made me think "Wait for the next generation":

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.