Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And what is the deal with the complaining about the Gretsch episode? I found it interesting to see how the different pickup types reacted with effects.

Mad Kiwi, dlew919 and TeleTex82 like this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I signed off that show when they did the "shoegaze" episode... they spoke in vague generalities as if they'd never really listened to any of the bands... which it seemed, they hadn't. What a complete waste of time. Why even make the episode?

They're not nearly as funny as they think they are either.

howlin likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Watching the Dave Gregory episode now. Great stuff.

4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I just realized that YouTube stopped sending me new episodes months ago... weird.

5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

That was my reaction from the very first time I saw TPS, and it's the main reason I don't watch it more often. I think most of their shows could be edited down to 15 minutes and still make their points effectively.

howlin and bgmacaw like this.
  6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Andy mentioned in an interview, maybe in his appearance on TPS, that he had been a Marshall guy before he started doing pedal demos. The DRRI was suggested to him by other people.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah - but he took the advice .

Burntfrijoles is right about M&D undercutting the relevance of their videos by using uncommon/super expensive amps most people haven’t played.

DRRI or Hot Rod Dlx or a Blues Jr Should be the default Amps for paddle demos. If you haven’t owned one of those you definitely know what they sound like.

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm getting bored of all this stuff.. I think a lot of these shows really started to become a thing around the time I started getting into electric guitar.

There have been some great episodes of TPS. The episode where Ed O'Brien came on was flat out amazing.. but that was mostly what O'Brien brought to the table, not what Dan and Mick talked about.

I like how TPS provides timestamps about when they get to certain things.. I have definitely learned some stuff from them that helped me figure out effects. The funny thing is I have pretty much decided my favored approach is completely opposite theirs:

- I like amp drive WAY more than clean amp + pedal drive. I've got an amp with power scaling that always sounds better using the power scaling + cooking tubes than putting it on full power and turning the volume down really low and then using a pedal.
    - I really like FX loops

These days the videos that I like are:
    - Videos that are in depth on stuff I own.. I sometimes even rewatch them to see what I can learn about the stuff I already have
    - Videos that are actual lessons - I'm at the point now where a very large % of the lessons are topics I can pick up from the video, a way smaller percentage of stuff is too hard for me than a year or two ago

I've got an Op Amp Big Muff Pi... I watched an amazing video on that the other night... the guy playing the demo played a big range of songs with wildly different settings and nailed a bunch of different Smashing Pumpkins songs, Bush, QOTSA, etc.. all with really accurate tones and really different settings. That kind of thing is great. He had a full time zoom in on the pedal. Also rewatched the video where Billy Corgan demos said pedal.. I had watched it last year but this time learned I needed to try it with the master volume dimed on my amp with gain at 0 and then bring up the gain till I had decent sound, then start adjusting the pedal... definitely worthwhile to explore that.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

He made a good choice. I don’t care what pedal a person reviews on youtube, it is of little value if they’re playing through a Freidman, Hamstead, Suhr or other “boutique” amp. The DRRI is common, like the amps most of us have.

The last time I watched TPS they were way too self absorbed and chatty instead of highlighting the nitty gritty. As i said, I’m done with these and other self promoters. I still like Andy and i enjoy hearing Mike Hermans’ playing. I also like Paul Davids when he actually teaches. One thing I've always like about Andy is that he plays recognizable riffs.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm not bothered by the boutique amps as long as there is some way to understand the character of the boutique amp. Whether it's a "dirty/gain" amp or a "clean platform" amp. As long as they let us know.

How much the chattiness bothers you might have to do with what other entertainment you listen to/watch. I don't really watch any TV or listen to any talk radio so a little bit of chat in these guitar videos doesn't bother me as much.

My other big issue with TPS is I have a lot more time to listen to the podcast (car, while working, etc..) but I don't usually have the time to watch the video. And sometimes they don't do as good a job with presenting the information in a way where you can tell what's going on without watching the video.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?”

The dorsal finish has gone belly up

howlin likes this.
  12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That video's only 8 minutes long. I could imagine someone doing that 30 hours long.

13. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Funny, I don't watch it, but did watch the Gretsch show, because I'm interested in the subject.
    In general the subject is not, to me, worth the time.
    But I do think they're both solid players with nice touches - vibrato and bigsby action subtle; not fast and nervous like many otherwise good players - and the audio is good.

14. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Totally agree.

They should use their expensive amps, but they could also have a HRD as a common, affordable baseline that we can all relate to, even if it's just for reference for 10 or 15 percent of the show.

It's difficult enough with how the YouTube compression impacts what we hear musically/tonally, so having an accessable and affordable baseline like a HDR allows us to mentally compensate for some of that compression and loss through YouTube, and it's also much closer to what we might be actually playing.

So of course they should still have their boutique expensive amps, they do sound abosutely amazing... I would just like to hear a bit of the show through a HRD for comparison.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  15. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Link to the (non-Billy Corgan) EHx op-amp muff demo, please?

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some of the YouTube channels can be very frustrating to watch when they feed false information or state their opinions as facts when you know that they are wrong. Like one guys channel saying a particular guitar is no good for someone because it has a different fretboard radius or frets than they are used to. How would the guy know it's no good for someone else unless he played it himself? There are countless similar pieces of advice I have seen quoted on YouTube guitar channels by the self proclaimed experts.

Another guy was blaming a roadworn tele for not being high end enough hence the crappy tones he was getting out of it.
    He went on to say if it was a higher end model the wood would be better and the guitar would be better overall.:rolleyes: He had been given the guitar to demo on his channel and didn't even know what wood the body was made of. I think he just wrote it off because it didn't have a custom shop logo on it.
    Funnily enough he sounded much the same on much more expensive guitars too.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    howlin likes this.
  17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I enjoy their shows and senses of humor but have drifted off for three reasons:
    1. They did the Origin Effects Revival Drive and didn't "get it." They admitted that they didn't like the sound of a pushed amp and instead preferred the sound of a borderline amp with a dirt pedal. I have always found the sound of a pushed power amp better than the borderline amp with dirt, which always sounds a bit fizzy to me. Something just clicked in me at that point.
    2. After watching for months I suddenly began having the experience of watching for 15-20 minutes and saying to myself, "Well, I don't know any more than I did before, do I? That was a long segment with no yield."
    3. The lack of straightforward, pedestrian amps makes comparison impossible so a good part of the utility is gone.

So, I've drifted off, but often wish I had the time to go back and watch.

Bob

howlin likes this.
  18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

there s a 30 mns video but i thought 8 mns was already long enough.

radiocaster likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I watch them when they've got something I'm interested in, never just for the sake of it. Sometimes I do wish they'd get to the point.

20. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

While I like their show in general, it really is much too long for what it is (usually lasting 45 minutes to well over an hour!). And it seems that it takes them at least 10 to 15 minutes to FINALLY get into the subject of the video. I guess I'm too impatient.

Also - perhaps it's just me, but their voices seem buried in the audio track of their videos compared to guitar/amp sounds. That is, I turn my TV up to because I can't hear what they're saying - then they play something and it comes blaring through my speakers and I have to turn the TV back down!

don71 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.