Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My pedalboard has been stable for about two years, so I don't watch them anymore unless someone here posts a specific episode. I've enjoyed them over the years and really appreciate Pete's playing. There is always something to learn from each of their shows. Probably the best entertainment kind of show for this kind of stuff, but I'll get a better idea of actual gear from our old good friend Andy.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

All youtube channels try to hit at least ten minutes as YT gives them more advertising revenue. A poor trend lately is all the channels are doing Q&A for two hours because it really pumps up their view time and thus their channel gets more action by YT recommends. Thorn does it every Sunday I think, and probably the reason I stopped watching his channel. Know your gear Phil at least puts an index in the comments so you can scroll through and see the two questions that are somewhat interesting. Latest one to start in that trend is BigDGuitars. If That Pedal Show is not doing yet, they will.

radiocaster, bgmacaw and jrblue like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't get through a single episode. Not one, ever. Too much chat, not enough hat.

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I watched maybe 15 seconds of two or three -- found them precious, gabby, and boring. I guess they think they're a cute "thing," and maybe they are, but for me, a dead waste of time, and slightly annoying.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A fuzzy pedal

A Marshall-y pedal

A Tube Scream-y pedal

Well, that’s about it for dirt.

A digital one

A lo-fi bucket brigade one

A tape echo one

Well, that about covers delay.

And so on...

Shuster and TeleTex82 like this.
  6. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Agree. I’ve tried and failed.

Rigel7 likes this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I read this,

.... then I plug into my old Boogie or vintage Marshall and just feel sorry for all the pedal suckers who think tone nirvana lies in their next pedal.

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I could put on one of their videos, order the pedal, have it delivered to my house, try it out for a couple of days and then have it sent back to the store because I didn't like it, receive confirmation of its return and have the funds deposited back in my account and the video would still have another 15 minutes left before it ended.

Irondog, rgbedard, omahaaudio and 9 others like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

They’ve become very self centered and infatuated with themselves. Plus, many of their shows use amps that the average player does not possess. One thing I always liked about Andy (Martin) is his steady use of the common DRRI.

I stopped watching Mick and Dan months ago. In fact, most of the youtube “personalities” are boring. I watch the guys who teach things like Marty and Carl from gl365.

10. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I used to watch them all and really liked them. They clearly made an effort to discuss a topic at length with interesting pedals. Then little by little it was more like two buddies talking about a random piece of gear for 1hr which stopped being useful.

11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

cool thing about pedals,,ya can buy 1 a week without it affecting much financially...great devices they are...for tone seekers,,then move em on down the road when bored

Ironwolf and Shuster like this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

To each his own I guess. The length of the show is precisely what I like: it puts me in the mood for slowing down my day, and I enjoy each new episode with a large mug of coffee. I cannot stand the fast-everything nowadays, where each thing you do should be productive. Actually I like getting bored in a good way.

Because watching That Pedal Show has become some kind of ritual in my weekly routine for the last couple of years, I've decided to support then on Patreon since a few months.

stevemc, JB74, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I like when the test different kinds of pedals and play music and talk and stuff. I wish they would drive around and get coffee and talk about pedals and stuff.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

A little too booteek for my pedestrian pedal taste. They don't get too snooty about it (like members of a certain forum often do) but I'm unlikely to drop $200+ on a pedal, the possible exception being a Origin Effects Slide Rig.

I also find the typical 30 minute plus show length too long and the general chitter-chatter isn't all that entertaining to me.

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I love "That Pedal Show"..

It's entertaining and has taught me so much about the nuances of how my gear works.

I bought a T-SHIRT.

My tones are far better for having their info.

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely love the show. Love the tangents. They don’t strike me as snobs at all, in fact, quite the opposite. As YouTube fodder goes they are miles above most. I find them very helpful. I pulled the trigger on a W/D/W rig with the knowledge gained from that show. Love the guest they get too.
    I do think it’s time to retire the name drop horn though...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Mad Kiwi, badger51, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Brother, I get the complete opposite felling when I hear the "not human" Pete Thorne!! I get an idea of what I'll Never sound like:D

omahaaudio and Ironwolf like this.
  19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I think their videos go s bit long. They never do the following though.

1) talk about their wives/ children.
    2) talk about their domestic duties (gardening car maintenance etc)
    3) complain about how women are ruining everything
    4) get lots of tech details egregiously wrong
    5) noodle on the blooze or shred’
    6). Talk about their political beliefs

That goes a long way with me. I watch guitars video to learn not to indulge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I really enjoy the show and have gleaned a lot of valuable information from it. I like the format, the length, the banter between friends and the tips provided. The show is the reason I set up and use a wet/dry rig and have arranged my pedals in the order I use. I like it. So there, thbbbt.

Kebmel, basher, 4pickupguy and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.