Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
In what sense? I still find the show entertaining and informative. There's a slight tinge of boutique snobbery that bleeds into certain episodes but by and large I think it's worth a watch.

Thin white duke

Friend of Leo's
Same here, i'm a bit bored of their "snobbery" probably, i use to watch them every week, maybe i'll go back to them in a while.....
They are still very professional anyway.....

Mexitele Blues

Tele-Afflicted
The recent Gretsch show seemed a little off to me, but the vast majority of their vids are quality. They have clearly been feeling out how to keep their content fresh and varied over the past few months.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I never liked the show. I reached Youtube guitar demo channel overload years before they were a thing.
I still like to occasionally binge watch the older channels that play more than little wing covers etc.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The only things I check demo video for are features. There is no way to translate the sound of a guitar/strings/pickups/cables/pedals/amps/speakers/mics... with a video.
I like to watch Wildwood demos from time to time to see the pretty looking guitars and be entertained by Greg. If I'm interested in a particular pedal I watch everything I can find on it and try to guess how it will actually work with my gear and to see how complicated it might be to use. There are a lot of painful to watch demo channels though.

Last edited:

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It is entertainment. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If nothing else, I enjoy that Dan is not a “blooze” player, like so many demo personalities seem to be.

So I nick his riffs/approach.

They are smart, funny, insightful and live guitars.

Works for me.

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like to watch Wildwood demos from time to time to see the pretty looking guitars and be entertained by Greg. If I'm interested in a particular pedal I watch everything I can find on it and try to guess how it will actually work with my gear. There are a lot of painful to watch demo channels though.

I do like to watch Pete Thorn videos. Pete is as cool as the other side of the pillow. And we share a lot of the same styles (except that Pete is of course a consummate professional). So when Pete plays something, I can get an idea of what it might do under my fingers.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I do like to watch Pete Thorn videos. Pete is as cool as the other side of the pillow. And we share a lot of the same styles (except that Pete is of course a consummate professional). So when Pete plays something, I can get an idea of what it might do under my fingers.
Yeah I was a regular viewer of Pete's channel for many years. I got a little bored of it more recently as in the past year. The gear was getting more complicated or was just another of the hundreds of overdrives, fuzz pedals etc out there. The live chats were cool for a while but they got crowded and started repeating the same questions etc.

dazzaman

Tele-Afflicted
I guess it must be really hard coming up with fresh content after a certain number of videos. I think the show is often really informative, even if I don't always agree with their views. For some reason their product advertising isn't as grating as on other YT shows, probably because I don't get the sense that people just give them stuff for a free show about it. Well, they do, but the stuff is pedals, and we all have ears to do comparisons. I particularly like when the db meter is up and running, because that is a really useful piece of real-world information. I didn't much like the recent Gretsch show, but that is just me. I do think though that they have the double act thing down just right, Mick asking the questions from the audience point of view, and Dan as the geek who can explain it all (in language that can be understood).

stevemc

Tele-Afflicted
i have had the same 15 or so pedals for a long time.i usually run 3 or 4 at a time.i still enjoy dan and mick.as someone else said,it's entertainment.

Snfoilhat

Tele-Afflicted
So interesting how the same content hits different people. My favorite thing about the show is that they insist regularly and in defiance of the comments section that they are sharing general principles and not pushing specific gear. I love that they refuse to play that game of retroactively justifying other people's gear purchases.

The pick and mix shows, which really are just brief demos of a particular few pedals, to me are the least useful.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I wish they'd do shorter shows. But I still like them.

Maybe it’s a winter thing for me? I haven’t watched one in months. But you’re right Paul, I would watch more if they were shorter.

And there are and will never be any more “new” dirt pedals. every variation of dirt pedal has already been invented and already exists. There is no need for any more...

...So when they get excited about one I just roll my eyes...

I do like the dudes though.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I like them, though I think they are overly long sometimes. I especially like when they have a guest I'm interested in. The Graham Coxon show(s) was great.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
I'd say the whole 'I want 300 strange and sought after pedals' thing has jumped the shark as much as any show about pedals. It's a great time to buy used pedals, if you take my meaning.

You hit the nail on the head. There are only so many original ideas and designs the rest are just rehashes of those.