Has "That Pedal Show" Jumped The Shark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Sep 10, 2019.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Used to love these guys and their YouTube videos, now... Not so much...

Kinda boring really.

Such a shame.

emisilly likes this.
  2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

They get a little too silly for me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    emisilly likes this.
  3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

In what sense? I still find the show entertaining and informative. There's a slight tinge of boutique snobbery that bleeds into certain episodes but by and large I think it's worth a watch.

neilybob100 likes this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Same here, i'm a bit bored of their "snobbery" probably, i use to watch them every week, maybe i'll go back to them in a while.....
    They are still very professional anyway.....

emisilly likes this.
  5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

The recent Gretsch show seemed a little off to me, but the vast majority of their vids are quality. They have clearly been feeling out how to keep their content fresh and varied over the past few months.

NewKid and EsquireBoy like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I never liked the show. I reached Youtube guitar demo channel overload years before they were a thing.
    I still like to occasionally binge watch the older channels that play more than little wing covers etc.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The only things I check demo videos for are features. There is no way to translate the sound of a guitar/strings/pickups/cables/pedals/amps/speakers/mics... with a video.

8. Chunkocaster

I like to watch Wildwood demos from time to time to see the pretty looking guitars and be entertained by Greg. If I'm interested in a particular pedal I watch everything I can find on it and try to guess how it will actually work with my gear and to see how complicated it might be to use. There are a lot of painful to watch demo channels though.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Kebmel likes this.
  9. Rigel7

Rigel7 TDPRI Member

I've never actually made it through one, to be honest. I find they never quite get to the point of anything. Andy's more my speed.

Kebmel, ponce, neilybob100 and 5 others like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It is entertainment. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If nothing else, I enjoy that Dan is not a “blooze” player, like so many demo personalities seem to be.

So I nick his riffs/approach.

They are smart, funny, insightful and live guitars.

Works for me.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I do like to watch Pete Thorn videos. Pete is as cool as the other side of the pillow. And we share a lot of the same styles (except that Pete is of course a consummate professional). So when Pete plays something, I can get an idea of what it might do under my fingers.

Kebmel, gkterry, graybeard65 and 4 others like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Yeah I was a regular viewer of Pete's channel for many years. I got a little bored of it more recently as in the past year. The gear was getting more complicated or was just another of the hundreds of overdrives, fuzz pedals etc out there. The live chats were cool for a while but they got crowded and started repeating the same questions etc.

cyclopean likes this.
  13. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I guess it must be really hard coming up with fresh content after a certain number of videos. I think the show is often really informative, even if I don't always agree with their views. For some reason their product advertising isn't as grating as on other YT shows, probably because I don't get the sense that people just give them stuff for a free show about it. Well, they do, but the stuff is pedals, and we all have ears to do comparisons. I particularly like when the db meter is up and running, because that is a really useful piece of real-world information. I didn't much like the recent Gretsch show, but that is just me. I do think though that they have the double act thing down just right, Mick asking the questions from the audience point of view, and Dan as the geek who can explain it all (in language that can be understood).

Shuster likes this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish they'd do shorter shows. But I still like them.

15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i have had the same 15 or so pedals for a long time.i usually run 3 or 4 at a time.i still enjoy dan and mick.as someone else said,it's entertainment.

16. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

So interesting how the same content hits different people. My favorite thing about the show is that they insist regularly and in defiance of the comments section that they are sharing general principles and not pushing specific gear. I love that they refuse to play that game of retroactively justifying other people's gear purchases.

The pick and mix shows, which really are just brief demos of a particular few pedals, to me are the least useful.

alathIN, TokyoPortrait and JB74 like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe it’s a winter thing for me? I haven’t watched one in months. But you’re right Paul, I would watch more if they were shorter.

And there are and will never be any more “new” dirt pedals. every variation of dirt pedal has already been invented and already exists. There is no need for any more...

...So when they get excited about one I just roll my eyes...

I do like the dudes though.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I like them, though I think they are overly long sometimes. I especially like when they have a guest I'm interested in. The Graham Coxon show(s) was great.

aux8 likes this.
  19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I'd say the whole 'I want 300 strange and sought after pedals' thing has jumped the shark as much as any show about pedals. It's a great time to buy used pedals, if you take my meaning.

20. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

You hit the nail on the head. There are only so many original ideas and designs the rest are just rehashes of those.

backporchmusic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.