Has keto ruined my relationship with the Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Nov 24, 2021.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

So last march I went on the keto diet and went from 205 pounds (5'7" height) to a very slim 147 pounds. I've been quite overweight most of my adult life and never had issues with tele comfort. Now the body seems to cause a bit of pain against my ribs. Its not a huge problem but I have to be more mindful of where the body rests now. I've never liked how the contoured tele bodies looked so hope I don't have to go there. I could hang it a little lower but I'm sure it won't be comfortable for the angle of my hands that way. Anyone have any other suggestions how to make this more comfortable?

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

How's it sit against your ribs? When a Tele bother me it's because the top edge is sitting (really pressing) against the bottom of my ribs. In that case you might actually try raising it a bit, so that your body touches a flat side rather than an edge. My instinct would be to lower it out of the way but I tend to like them a little on the low side.

Otherwise, try setting the guitar more squarely on your front rather than (I assume) somewhat to one side? Probably easier now with less gut.

Congratulations, by the way. Losing nearly 60lbs isn't nothing, and assuming 147 isn't unhealthily low for you then 205 must have been a lot.

3. jimmywrangles

jimmywrangles TDPRI Member

Maybe some sort of cushion between you and the axe. Other than that I have nothing.
    I hope you get it sorted out.

boris bubbanov and golfnut like this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Great news on the loss of weight! My guess is your ribs will get used to it. Keep in mind, nothing has ever rubbed into them before!

Otherwise, I would raise the guitar instead of lowering it to avoid ergonomic issues with arms & hands. Perhaps a pad on the back??

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’m 6’5” and vary from 185-200, so I can verify that personal padding is not required to enjoy a Tele. Vary your playing position, and I’m sure you’ll find something that works, without having to resort to *shudder* body contours!

6. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Lots of Tele players seem to wear them on the high side, I always thought for right hand positioning but maybe for rib protection too. I've always had enough padding to prevent such a dilemma...

stormsedge, drewg and golfnut like this.
  7. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

They’re supposed to hurt you a little. Comfort, bah!

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Yes 205 was an awful lot for me. I went from prediabetic, high blood pressure and feeling more like I was 80 instead of my age 61 to basically fixing all those issues and feeling more like I'm 40. Supposedly my ideal body weight based on height is 135-140 but I think that would be way too low.
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions I'm going to try some different positioning and strap lengths.

9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have to say, in 40 years of playing the tele I've never had a comfort problem. But I've always had somewhat of a gut.

10. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

One of the bands I was in had a guitarist that would ask one of the ladies in the audience to come up during love songs. He would share the guitar strap with them. Sometimes they would face him slow dance style. Sometimes they would be back to front. Maybe all you need is that kind of body contour.:D

11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Holy cow! Congrats! But your tele rubs you the wrong way?

golfnut likes this.
  12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Friend of Leo's

About 6 years ago I lost seventy pounds in about eight months, just cutting back and reallllly amping up my workouts. Anyhow, after that my rib cage set off the airport alarms every single time I went through the scan machine. They’d pull me out and feel me up. Weird.

stormsedge and golfnut like this.
  13. jellodog

jellodog TDPRI Member

14. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

First off: Good on you for choosing Keto! It really actually works without any miracle drugs or other strangeness!

Then regarding the problem: Hang it higher! It might not look very Rock'n'Roll but it will move it away from the current bad spot and it will
    be much less of a chance the angle for your hands is wrong if you go that way.

[​IMG]

15. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Might want to look at adjusting your strap height.

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

First off, congratulations on this great achievement! You did yourself a very big favour ;)

I am pretty slim, 6'16" / 169 lbs an dI can tell you that even teles can be comfortable. What I do is just putting the tele under my ribs and that's all. It may feel odd in the beginning, just give it a try.

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1. That's super slick.
    2. That only works if your guitarist is also good looking.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  18. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

Keto here also. I gained 50 pounds when I quit smoking. It's gone now thanks to keto.
    For me it actually made the tele fit better. My gut was in the way before......lol

19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, they’re really just not the most comfortable guitars, admittedly.

(I’m 5’11’ and just under 160 after losing about 10 lb. once I started eating better, some belly fat but not as much, FWIW.)

Mine doesn’t have a tummy cut or an arm bevel, but sometimes I wish it did, or I know if I got one that did have those things it’d immediately become my #1.

I can make it work, and you probably can too, but there’s no getting around the standard T-shape not being optimized for comfort.

20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.