Has he done it again? (Cavalier P90’s inquiry)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Roscoe295, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

Got some Cavaliers in my tele - fantastic. Hard stop.

Now thinking of a Cavalier Holy Grail in the bridge with a P90 in the neck (undecided).

Anybody try Rob’s P90’s (Da’ Bears)

Thoughts?
    Feedback?
    Comments?
    Concerns?

Thanks in advance

Matthias and paulblackford like this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Got one for an upcoming Lap Steel, but haven't started yet.
    There was a thread about these last month and I think someone had tried them.

Did you get the A3 or A5?

Roscoe295 likes this.
  3. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

So that’s what I’m trying to sort ou! I usually play through 2 amps (wet/dry) but both have substantial headroom (PRRI & Gibson Scout). It’ll be paired with either my current Fat Lion in the bridge or possible one of Rob’s Nocaster bridge pups.

And I’m kind of shooting for that vintage Gibson grit, but am really intrigued by the jazzy box top sounds when you roll the tone & volume back. I did see the previous thread & the sound clip demonstrated a good bit of clarity & sparkle (which I like). Oh, And my pickup selector spends a good chunk of time in the middle position.

So I’m not sure if I’d want to go for the A3 magnet? The A5? The Combo A5/A3?

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Love the Fat Lion. Depending on how the body is toned would be the deciding factor for me. A3 for a bright body - A5 for a dark body. That pickup is taller than the usual P90 so it'll only go down so far.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I was one of the contributors to that thread a while back on Rob’s AR 90 pickups. I love them. I have owned lots and lots of his telecaster pickups and have enjoyed all of them. To me, these AR 90s are simply perfect. A great middle way between Gibson and fender sounds — though a bit more Fender than Gibson. Highly recommended. I say if you don’t know, go with all A5 mags.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.