1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has Guitar Tone Gotten Any Better?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Oct 26, 2020.

Has Guitar Tone Gotten Any Better?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

@telemnemonics I'm not the biggest fan of that circuit. I just like it in some instances. As far as classic british rock Marshall tone, all I have to say is Mick Ralphs and Paul Kossoff.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Most people on here are actively trying to get the same tones that were available 50 years ago, so for them, no, of course not. If your whole goal is to sound like Hendrix, how could you ever sound better than Hendrix?

But I sometimes see bands getting sounds that you just couldn't make 50 years ago with a guitar, certainly not from a local bar band. I've done it myself, with ring mods and other crazy stuff. And there is no question that with a few hundred dollars of gear you can sound way, way better than you could in the past. And amplification of acoustic instruments, and PAs has gotten way better. So sure, I would say tone is better now.

Weazel and Frontier9 like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Kossoff had a killer sound, better to my ear than the rest of those LP into four input Marshall guys.
    Makes me wish I liked to make those sounds but I just don't, no clue why.
    Prefer the narrower cut of a clear SC pickup.

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.