1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has Fender discontinued the Blues Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rdwhitti, Apr 21, 2016.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater all say today that they no longer carry this model (although it is still listed on the Fender website). Curious, as I thought this was Fender's biggest seller.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I think it's the Hot Rod Deluxe that's the best seller. I've used a Blues Deluxe Reissue just the once - nice amp to play through on that single occasion, but I've never felt the need to buy one.

3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

But I just bought one not not long ago! I don't want to be orphaned already.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I would guess the biggest seller was the Princeton Reverb or maybe a Blues Jr. The Blues Deluxe is a darn good amp in the HRD series, I would probably take one over a Hotrod Deluxe or any of the other amps in that group.

5. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Actually I was going to take it back anyway. It seems that the bright switch doesn't do snything; it is both bass and treble heavy with all 3 tone controls set at middle. Also it intermittently makes a hiss or static out the speaker for no reason even with nothing plugged in. I really want to like it but the QC doesn't seem to be there. I just did have to return a PRRI because it popped and quit working, probably an output tube blew. I hope this is not a sign of poor Fender quality.

6. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Just based on some observations, it looks like the Bassbreaker series is going to replace a couple of the tube amps that have been our for a while. Guitar Center has the Super-Sonic 22 clearance priced in the stores, but full price on line,

7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

That's what I expected too. One of my local GC stores had the SS22 on clearance about a month or 2 back; maybe I should have picked one up at the time but I have no use/desire for the super high distortion channel. Perhaps I will look into the Bass breaker series.

8. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Too bad. The best sounding voice in the Hot Rod series to me, not overly bright and a good value for a loud 40 watter. Good pedal platform on the clean channel. But yeah, I agree the distortion channel was pretty much useless, to me anyway.

Pcaluaru likes this.
  10. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

The HR series as to date is Fenders biggest selling amps. (deluxes, devilles and jrs)

First recommendation... Go Direct stop buying your equipment from those bulk national retailers! I don't know what's going on at their warehouses... but it seems like to me.. 99% of everyone who has had a problem with a Fender amp has purchased it from one of these huge retailers. Makes me think they're playing soccer with the amps in the warehouse. I've bought a few HR series amps direct from Fender.. No problems... (even after the warranty...) just recently had a HRD tuned up (better filter caps, etc, replaced those ceramic box resisters that want to fail with better ones that sit off the PCB) nothing was wrong but still had it done anyway as preventive maintenance ...

Blues Deluxe might have been to close to the Hot Rod Deluxe and was getting over shadowed. Probably will have a few cabs left over... Look for some special edition NOS tweed Hot Rods Deluxe's in the near future. :)

11. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Yeah maybe there is a reason they so willingly do 15% or more off so often. Makes the prices very appealing but maybe that is so that you will put up with the returns.

12. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

That could be.... I've read some posts on the internet (various gear sites like this) and think "oh man that sucks!" Yet I haven't had any problems with my HR's. Even got friends who play HR's and no issues there either. From our experiences the HR line is solid & reliable (Same goes with Peavy's "Classic 30 and Delta Blues.. a few of my buds been playing those for about as long as we have our HR's.)

Just kinda makes me wonder...having always gone direct with Fender with amps and having no issues.

I've posted on this a few days ago in another thread. I'm in the warehousing/logistics business... I know what can go on in a retail warehouse... For starters ... loose packed semi trailers... i.e. Nothing on pallets... product stacked loose to maximize packing space & done for cutting logistical expenses! Freight usually is subject to dislodging after the first turn of the semi. I have seen disasters upon opening many a trailer! No amp I know, PTP or PCB construction takes kindly to being tossed around inside a tractor trailer. Or having a 4x10 cab come smashing down on it. I've see it in the appliance warehousing business... and now I run an auto glass warehouse and now I see it with fragile auto glass. If it happens with appliances and auto glass... It defiantly happens with BIG BOX music retailers freight!

Some retard at one of these big box retailer warehouses instead of handling your Blues Deluxe with care..... could have just pushed it off a stack of 6 high when the boss wasn't looking... letting it crash to the floor without a care, then proceeded to kick it across the warehouse "soccer style" to the loading docks... and in the process frack'ed your amp up. You don't know... Guy selling it doesn't know. Looks good at your end. Sold!

You get it home power it up and after a brief stint of use... it starts to make a hiss out the speaker for no reason, even with nothing plugged in..& hence throwing the tone controls out of whack... I've fired a few bad employees who mishandled and damaged product because they thought management wasn't looking.

My job makes me bias.... I don't think it happens at the manufactures end...so I try to go direct whenever I can. The problems IMO are all in the the middle due to our service based economy ... multiple handlers/stops while being shipped by common carriers to the Big box retailers warehouse. Freight all jumbled together and only the real expensive items get preferential treatment because they show up on a P&L report if damaged etc etc.. I could go on and on...

You get a chance IMO go direct. Don't know if it will change anything... maybe my friends and I have been lucky..

With my HRD (after the warranty was up) with the one I bought used, took them into my tech and had preventative maintenance done on them.. better filter caps,, changed the two ceramic problematic resistors got them off the PCB etc.. stuff like that (I think this has helped ....

For what its worth..... I've had a good experience buying a guitar from Sweetwater (My #2 Tele an American Special came flawless..& excellent customer service... I love this guitar!) but that was a guitar not an amp.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  13. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

That's too bad, I know a guy with one and I think it sounds great, way better than some of the HDR's I've jammed with. I know he won't ever sell the amp, it's his main amp. Usually when we jam I use my DRRI, and honestly I think they sound pretty good together. Not a bad mix since I usually play rhythm against his leads and get a tad more break up than he gets, probably due to pushing the 6V6's a little harder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.