Has BOSS killed the valve amp industry?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by adamlovesgin, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I know that for a fact hauling around 3 Fender Twins over the years did cause my back problems and subsequent surgery. However, after a time without any tube amps, I picked up a Hot Rod Deluxe as I missed the tube experience. I have a number of SS amps I use for a variety of applications, but I know now I have to always have a tuber in my arsenal. As to the op, I am not familiar with the Boss amp in question, but I have no doubt as long as guitarists wish to buy valve amps, tubes will always be manufactured.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    savofenno and awasson like this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Here's the reason Fender discontinued the stand-alone reverb unit:
    [​IMG]

Deluxe Reverb and '59 Bassman to be discontinued soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

savofenno likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Can't believe this thread is still going.
    They should move it to transistor and modeling amp area.

AlbertaGriff and awasson like this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I followed the modeling stuff early on. Had a solid state amp, then digitech effects when they first came out (RP 10) and were decent, the POD, and line 6 stuff.

I don't want any of that at this point, and don't have anything other than an "upstairs" practice amp that is a THR10. Nice little unit, but I could take it or leave it. I know when I start worrying about different tones instead of turning the amp up and using a couple of simple stomp boxes that I'm getting in the weeds and wasting time on stuff that doesn't matter.

I bought my valve amps late. 10 years from now, they'll have something "so much better than the katana" that it'll be the next thing that kills tube amps. But I doubt that the tube amp share of the market is less now than it was in the 80s (when there were really a lot of low cost solid state amps that were decent at the time - not compared to the current wave - but decent. Fender's princeton chorus, and ultra chorus, etc, the Roland JC120, crate (never really liked their amps, but they sure were affordable), peavy solid state and people bought a bunch of marshall solid state stuff at the time).

The one thing the modeling does seem to do really well is the extremely saturated high gain type sound, which is not nearly as easy to manage at various volume levels if you're stacking gain, etc.

awasson likes this.
  5. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Ok, old tube amp guy here... (meaning old guy that likes old tube amps) There is really nothing that comes close to the experience of a cranked tube amp, and nothing really compares to the cleans of some glowing tubes and big iron.

That being said, I almost never get the opportunity to play at the volume needed to really make an old tube amp sparkle and shine or growl and grind.

So, some time back I heard all the hype regarding the Boss Katana and purchased the 100-watt combo. Fantastic amp! The stock amp "models" sounds really good. Very responsive to playing dynamics. This amp completely changed my mind about "non-tube" amps. I was under the impression that the amp would replace my old tube amp and all of my pedals. However, what I found was the amp ROCKED but the effects bordered on unusable.

I have dabbled, off and on, with the Tech 21 Fly Rig both for guitar and the bass version (run into FRFR powered speakers). I know these are analog but still "non-tube." I have become a HUGE fan of the convenience of this set-up, and I think the sound is totally acceptable. I can hear the difference when I am playing by myself, but as soon as another instrument joins the mix, I can no longer hear the lack of tube yumminess.

After considering all the option, I am currently running a pedalboard (mostly Boss pedals, *gasp*) into an Atomic Ampli-Firebox into the FRFR powered speakers. This is as good as my sound has ever been. The rig responds to the dynamics of my playing and the volume knob on my guitar. I have multiple amps to choose from, and none of them strain my aging back.

Do I miss standing in front of the fire-breathing tube monsters? Oh, yeah! But I have to admit, my rig sounds great (maybe better than it ever has), it's very flexible and actually quite cost-effective.

You can consider me an old Luddite that has embraced the new technology.

Pixies2005 and awasson like this.
  6. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Nothin beats the smell of a warmed-up tube amp!

7. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I’m certainly not helping any of the tube amp or modeling amp companies out there...I have a fender of some kind, I can’t even remember what it is other than about 40 watts too loud...it sits in the back of my closet. I should sell it I guess and it’s pretty low mileage...I do have three other tube amps that I like better but they’re all home built...We get along just fine though and there will probably be more. As you all know, it’s a sickness...

8. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

And (Boss not killed :twisted:) the glimmer! :D

[​IMG]

awasson likes this.
  9. rjp68

rjp68 TDPRI Member

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yeah tubes are dead...and these heads here are just so awful to play..i mean pure tone from fingertip to speaker with nothing in the way to ruin it, is jus an awful thing...ps its also the ultimate bedroom rig..wheel it to the van into the studio or stage...no gadgets gimmicks 6100Ad.jpg ..just true 100% tone..

dalezjc and awasson like this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The newer, improved solid state amps will continue to take market share from the valve/tubes guys as they've doing gradually since the 1970s. I agree with the original post that it makes lots of sense for the working/gigging musician. But killing the tube industry...? Nah.

The "The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated."

12. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

I've got a Katana 50 that I really like for practice and rehearsals. I just purchased a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI, however, because I loved the tone and a friend was willing to give me a good price. I've also got a silverface Princeton that used to be my every day amp, but still has a place in my stable.
    -My point would be that I don't see these choices as necessarily either/or. I like to get the amp at a good price and then to explore what it offers in comparison to the amps I might already have.

13. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Even if they were better, guitar players are such a conservative bunch as far as their gear is concerned, tube maps would still sell for a long long time. I played through a Marshall Code 50 recently and it sounded really good. The main advantage to me is weight. I have a nice light little tube amp that sounds great and is loud enough for me (Monoprice 15 watt), so I have no reason to switch.

awasson likes this.
  14. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

In my experience there are lots of options that will get you about 9/10 of the way to the tone you're after... and with some low price points. From what I've heard, the Katana does that. It's the final 1/10 that you're going to pay the big bucks to get. For the majority of people (hobbyists, students, weekend giggers) getting 9/10 of the way there is good enough. Only the keen-eared listener would probably ever notice the difference.

15. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

This is a myth, like the "paperless office", or Y2K... :)

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Never!!! Ever!!! Ever!!!,,, Next Question,,

17. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

After suffering a long, painful life of 53 pages, this thread had been dead for over a year now.

Don't be walking on the grave.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Ah, yes! The “paperless office” I was promised at my first corporate job...in 1991.

john_t, awasson and t guitar floyd like this.
  19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

On the other hand, how many tubes in your television set?

codamedia and notmyusualuserid like this.
  20. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Consider this thread has been going for year, then count the ratio of tube amp threads to Boss threads in that time, and I think you'll have your answer. ;)

Lef T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.