Has anyone tried the grunge pedal ?

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
the one that was marketed when the grunge thingie was at its height ?
DOD FX 69 Grunge
1653935196262.png

here it is at 51'30

69 dollars at the time, one on ebay in a very poor condition sells for 250.

Last edited:

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I sold many of these when I worked at a music store in the late 90s-early 00s. I heard this pedal too much.

It isn't a bad pedal. It wasn't to my taste. I was using a yellow Boss OD and a Microamp into a SF Vibrolux at the time.

DOD made a bunch of similar dirt boxes at the time. I sold a lot of the American Metal one also. I almost bought a DOD Gonkulator back then because it was weird. Wish I had now.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
the one that was marketed when the grunge thingie was at its height ?
DOD FX 69 Grunge
View attachment 988828
here it is at 51'30

69 dollars at the time, one on ebay in a very poor condition sells for 250.

I've seen them show up locally for $50. They probably didn't check reverb or realize how ridiculous people can be.
I'd grab one for $25. Another distortion flavor (assuming it sounds different from my fx55) that comes with a corny joke.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I borrowed one from a bandmate back in the 90s and right away found it to be all wrong for me. Sounded like more gain than I wanted, with sucked out mids, artificially hyped low mids and bass and shrill highs. Probably cool for heavily palm muted riffing or downtuned stuff.

But some people seem to like them. I have generally had good luck with other DOD pedals, so I guess if one likes that distortion flavor...

Oddly, around the same time I borrowed a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, and while it also seemed pretty extreme for how I played, I really liked goofing with that one. It seemed less like “the wrong tool for the job” and more like “hey, look at me having fun and being kind of annoying with this thing!”

I probably could’ve bought that HM-2 for about $40. Boy do I wish I had done that. Those babies have gone up a bit since then.

Last edited:

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I didn't have the grunge pedal, but I had a DOD multi fx unit back then that had a grunge setting. It was fun.

There should be a ton of them out there though. It was one of the highest selling pedals at that time, even more so after Kurt put one on his board (apparently as a joke). Supposedly it's just a modified Rat.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I didn't have the grunge pedal, but I had a DOD multi fx unit back then that had a grunge setting. It was fun.

There should be a ton of them out there though. It was one of the highest selling pedals at that time, even more so after Kurt put one on his board (apparently as a joke). Supposedly it's just a modified Rat.
I found the Grunge to be very different from the Rat 2 I used for several years. I heard the Grunge as being pretty scooped, compressed high gain. I heard the Rat as being rawer and having a broader range of gain levels, from “a little snarly” to “so distorted it’s edging into fuzz.” As I recall the Grunge was pretty dirty and sustainy no matter what you did. I don’t recall being able to approach a cleanish sound with it. On the other hand its high gain settings were pretty much supernatural sustain levels. Some might dig that.

The “Butt” and “Face” controls on the Grunge had more range than the filter knob on the Rat. I liked the filter knob on the Rat, but some might prefer making big sweeping coarse 2-band adjustments.