Has anyone tried the Cavalier "Wolf" Tele neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by theprofessor, Apr 9, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Hi all -

I'm wondering if anyone has yet tried the Cavalier "Wolf" Tele neck pickup. I just noticed it on Rob's site. Here is the description. Sounds great to me! Would love to hear a report or sound bytes from anyone who may be able to offer them.

The Wolf - The Wolf is a covered, or uncovered, Tele® neck pickup that's wound with 42AWG coil wire (instead of the normal 43AWG Tele® neck coil wire) and offers a more Strat® type of treble tone. The thin nickel-silver mirror chrome cover is independently grounded from the coil leads, allowing phase reversal and easy hook up with ANY type of pickup select switch: 3-way, 4-way, 5-way, mega, etc. Supplied with body or pickguard mounting screws and height tubing.

The Wolf - 42AWG coil wire over AlNiCo 5 rod magnets, approximately 6.7k resistance.

lineboat, 8barlouie and Bruxist like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I just found out about it yesterday.

My real confusion was that it comes covered and uncovered, instead of having a "She-Wolf" for the uncovered version. But hey, I am a fanatic for parallel structure. :)

lineboat and Urshurak776 like this.
  3. theprofessor

The "She-Wolf!" Love it! Rob could also do a dog series, so he could name an uncovered one "the b!tch."

bangcaster and Bruxist like this.
  4. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

Mine is at my local shop to be installed, but they are usually a little backed up so I don't expect to get it back for a week or so.

Also, I am terrible at guitar, so I don't think anyone would want a demo by me.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I would listen to a demo by you. It doesn't have to be full of flashy guitar playing. Just play some chords and arpeggios, clean and overdriven, and maybe a few simple riffs. I would do some with the neck alone and some with the neck and bridge together.

Bruxist and theprofessor like this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I wonder if it’s on tall magnets like a Twisted Tele.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Cool. Love my Cavalier 51/52 bridge pickup! Rob does good!

Sounds like this one might be along the lines of the Lindy Frailin Blues Special? I use one of those, uncovered, in the neck of another tele:

Bruxist and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I'll see what I can do once I get it back :D As mentioned, it might be a week or two... my local tech has a queue and the only thing I have ever soldered was just to remove a capacitor in an AC15 (so I didn't even need to solder anything, just warm it up enough that the cap came off). If it was a Squier I might experiment doing it myself but I don't really want to jack up my US standard.

9. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I took pics before dropping it off at the local shop, but they are just the top and bottom... I didn't take a profile one so can't really say (and don't have enough experience with tele pickups to know if it is tall or normal height)

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Sure would like it if he also offered an 'open' cover option like this:
    [​IMG]
    I kinda think this is the best of both covered/uncovered worlds, as I often snag my high E on the side of an open tele neck pickup!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Unpotted: The Howlin Wolf

12. theprofessor

You definitely need one of these! You ARE the Tele Wolf!

Bruxist likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

Ha ha. I don’t have any more teles to put it in! Unless someone wants to donate one. I’m going to be in x-ray school for another year and a half and I’m looking at a lot of my equipment now wrestling with what I can part with.…if I have to. I definitely don’t have a budget for any new builds.

But I’m not gonna lie…when I saw the title, I was like, “It’s meant to be!”

rich815 likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That's how I "killed" a Texas Special neck pickup. Snagged the high E on it one too many times. It's now rewound and somewhere in Germany.

15. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

Ask and ye shall receive... terrible playing and all.

I just got my guitar back about an hour ago. I just did once through real quick without any re-takes or edits or anything. Clean through dirty is neck alone, when I go back to clean it is middle position from then on. It is a 2009 American Standard (Fat Lion is in the bridge), using a Fender Deluxe preset in a Line 6 Helix LT recorded directly via USB into Reaper. I feel it is giving me the sound I want and makes me actually want to use a neck pickup which I don't think I could say before now.

preactor, lineboat, Bruxist and 2 others like this.
  16. theprofessor

Thanks so much for doing this! Love the tones! Great presence in that sound! And I don't know what you're talking about with "terrible playing." There's nothing terrible about that playing! And this is a demo that actually demonstrates the tonality of the pickup. Many demos don't; they just feature somebody who's a better player than I am wanking off on various licks. Good work!

preactor, El Tele Lobo and Kylote like this.
  17. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

Thanks - true, I guess my playing at least represents the "every man" :D

preactor likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

Very nice! Thank you for this. I echo the Prof's sentiments! Really a fantastic, straightforward demo and the playing was solid and spot on. Strong rhythm, straight in initially, a splash of effects here and there and you didn't get in the way of letting the pickup shine either with your playing or your signal chain. Props!

I was going to ask where I could hear more. Please tell me you have a YouTube channel. If you don't, please start one right away and then let me know so I can subscribe. If you're worried you're not good enough, just go over and listen to mine and then you'll feel a lot better about your own playing.

Kylote likes this.
  19. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Race to the bottom! I’m worse than both of you! :D

El Tele Lobo and Kylote like this.
  20. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

I do have one, but it is mostly videos of my kids :D Don't have a ton to demo, just the one electric guitar that now has the Wolf/Fat Lion combo. Amp-wise, just the Helix LT and then a small Frontman 10G when I want to do a quick practice or exercise without setting up the Helix.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.