has anyone tried the Bassman or Deluxe Reverb pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bernatdelpech, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bernatdelpech

bernatdelpech Tele-Meister

I was curious about the pedals quality, and feel. Anyone tried them yet?

2. SlimGuitar

SlimGuitar TDPRI Member

tried an FDR-1 and didn't like it, sounded kinda plastic. I was planning to use it as a solo boost (gain + reverb sounds like a good "lead solution), didn't really work out, YMMV though

3. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

I keep forgetting to place the deluxe reverb pedal in my worst pedal ever posts.

4. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

Its all COSM technology....... Have never touched one.......

End of story.

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I tried the Deluxe Reverb pedal and I hated it, also. It has no redeeming qualities that I could discern.

6. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad I didn't pay full price. I'm sure somebody somewhere is making it sound good...just not me.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I've never been able to wrap my head around trying to emulate one amp by using a pedal and running it through another amp, as if the amp being used somehow suddenly becomes transparent and just a speaker cabinet. Makes no sense to me.

8. italo

italo Tele-Meister

I did pay full Price. Please don´t make me remember it.

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I just wanted to use a little reverb with a non-reverb amp, not emulate anything, but it was a terrible sounding reverb.

10. bernatdelpech

bernatdelpech Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, was looking into them, but I havent seen one good review yet. This was helpful as I'm building a pedal board, with a few extra spots for future purchases. I'm not much of a pedal player, but I do enjoy OD's and got curious about amp simulation pedals.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

LOL I'll pile on...

I had an FDR-1, and while I thought the drive section was indeed "blackface-y", the tremolo was meh and the reverb SUCKED. BAD.

I never tried the bassman pedal, but I did try the Reverb pedal, and I thought it was only ok. I heard digital artifacts in the reverb trails, and it was too bright even with the tone turned all the way down.

All-in-all, not a fan of the Boss Fender pedals.

12. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I've owned both the '59 Bassman pedal and the '65 Deluxe Reverb pedal.

The Deluxe Reverb pedal was a disappointment and I sold it recently. It has a horrid reverb, nothing at all like a Fender. Also, the tremelo is difficult to use, requiring the user to use the treadle as a tap tempo setting. Some of the tone controls are stacked, and with the tiny, tiny knobs, it's awkward to set.

The 59 Bassman pedal is a good piece, in my opinion. I use a vintage Twin Reverb which is great for clean sounds. If I need something to make it sound a little more raw, the Bassman pedal does a credible job.

13. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

It actually makes plenty of sense if you use the 4 cable method with a PODHD500 if you ask me.

Especially if you are running the amp models in the effects loop.

You litterally are transforming your amp into something else altogether because the power section becomes a template to run the varius models in a digital fx preamp such as in the PODHD500 while your onboard preamp built into the amp gets tossed aside.

Essentially it becomes a digital preamp that takes over whatever the hell it is you are using. If you run it in the FX loop its pretty easy to wrap your head around it and see the benefit of amp emulations and how great they are in this application.

Needless to say the Bassman and Deluxe amp emulations are total utter digital piles of crap and there is no need to spend time with one aside from using it as a paper weight :rolleyes:.

14. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Used the Bassman pedal for quite awhile. Not bad at low settings for imparting some tweed vibe, but its permanently retired now that I have tweed amps and better pedals.

15. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I have the Bassman pedal. The overdriven sound is not too great. I use it sometimes at low gain settings to add eq and a little bit of hair to my Hot Rod Deluxe, but I just may sell it and probably wouldn't miss it.

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Who would buy it....

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Add me to the list of disappointed FDR-1 users, on the other hand love the FRV-1.

18. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

If you plug a Deluxe Reverb pedal into a Deluxe Reverb, will they cancel each other out?

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

No, you get a DDRR. :lol:

20. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Ouch.

I'll go on record one more time as liking my FDR-1. I've had ups and downs with how I use it. I used it as an amp emulator running into the FX-loop IN of a Crate PowerBlock (bypassing the PB's preamp). I thought it sounded great--trem & reverb, too.

It is an OD/Distortion pedal though, so you'll struggle to get an honest clean tone out of it. Now I use it more as a straight-up blackface-toned OD. I don't use its trem or 'verb anymore, as I want to turn those on/off independently of the OD.

So, opinions are (slightly) divided. If you can get a good deal on one (perhaps from one of the above posters), try it out.

Peace...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.