Has anyone seen the Boaz Guitar

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Jim622, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have no interest other than curiosity.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It’s kinda like an elephant. Interesting, fascinating and unique...but I don’t want to own one.

tery and Jim622 like this.
  3. Jim622

That about sums it up for me also.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d love to check one out!

5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Is there a place to sign up for driving the bulldozer?

Deeve, robinn and Jim622 like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That was discussed here a couple of weeks ago and the responses were about the same as today.

7. Jim622

Missed it. Sorry for the repeat.

8. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I think it's cool. I'd love to play it. I think it would make an ideal starter guitar, assuming it really is constructed well, for the player who doesn't know much about pickups. My Danelectro is some kind of Masonite plasticky thing and every time I play it I wonder if it's my favorite sounding guitar. I might have bad taste, though :). A little disclaimer about me, however, is that I tend to gravitate toward the classic design combined with modern hardware side of guitars, but I'm a big fan of experimentation. Modular guitars? Why not?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Modular guitars, Shergold did it over 40 years ago.

The modules were various voiced control plates, the pickups were split coil HBs the could also switch the coils out of phase at the flick of a switch

Toast likes this.
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

That's fantastic. I really like the fact that someone out there is engineering utility into a guitar. Give me useful features, not a history lesson.

It's a great idea to have more useful things in a guitar rather than trying to create "mojo" with aging the looks and copying the same few 50-year old designs.

The Boaz will likely fail spectacularly, because people who buy guitars generally want fashion instead of functionality.

Toast likes this.
  11. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

I like the Relish modular better, but it’s pricey. Can’t see myself buying either, though. Telecasters ARE modular. It just takes a little more time and effort to reconfigure.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think it's kinda funky-cool. i'd hit that. but how much does one cost?

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes, it was a big surprise for me when I stumbled into a Danelectro in a trade, I wasn't expecting to like that guitar as much as I do. they sound much better than I expected and are just pure fun to play. so that makes me interested in this Boaz thing.

Toast likes this.
  14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With a proper chameleon paint-job, to reflect the many different guitar-spirits within, this may be the way to go
    I'd want to see - Blackguard, Burst, Pointy neon (or snakeskin pattern), SRV-worn, Dentist, Dad-in-Park and maybe hep-cat-jazzer.
    :lol:
    What image tropes did I leave out?

Peace - Deeve

15. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I hear ya. My Danelectro cost me like $299 (maybe lower, I don't remember) on sale and it's accustomed me to the notion that cheap guitars can sound just as good as expensive ones. So I'm coming at the Boaz from pretty much the same angle as you. At the moment, I'm gravitating toward guitars that are chambered/semi-hollow/hollow rather than solid bodies. So a plastic guitar might be right up my alley if it has the right sound. Anyway, one thing I don't like about the Boaz in the vid is its body shape in terms of looks. I'd like the builder to give people more body style choices.

By the way, I think collecting vintage guitars is cool too. I'll just never have the means to be a proper guitar collector. I probably fall into the hidden gems (found it at Walgreens!) kind of collector.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  16. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was intrigued enough to watch this hour-long video with Boaz himself and the prototype (below). Altogether, the Boaz guitar seems like a terrific product, well thought-out with lots of possiblities. And they're talking about a $400 starting price (with the one-pickup 'cassette') — well below what I expected.

I like the designer, Boaz Elkayam, an affable fellow who explains in the video a lot of the background and future possibilites for it. Apparently he's a luthier well known for his classical guitars and the like—not just an engineer who decided to try making a high-tech guitar.

I love my wood guitars and all, but I'll say that this is where current technology should be taking us. If nothing else I'd love to try one!

thunderbyrd and Toast like this.
  17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'd really be interested in the Boaz if the builder was able to make it out of recycled plastic. Just my two cents.

SecretSquirrel and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.