Has anyone seen air distort at concerts?

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Motorhead for the LOUDwin. My ears still ring to this day from seeing them in a small gymnasium in the 80s.

I will attest that Black Crowes are also LOUD

And I agree that you won't "see air move" from loudness, because that just isn't the way that works

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I went to a Public Enemy / Anthrax show back in the day where they played a huge empty supermarket turned venue. The walls to either side of the stage were lined with subs which you had to pass to get to the restrooms.

There was enough air movement in front of those things to push the shirt off of my body like it was hanging on a clothesline in the breeze. The low frequencies definitely jostled my inner being and the eyeballs in my head.
persp-maxell-hed-2012.jpg

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I've no expertise in physics or engineering so I hope someone who does can provide better information than I can but I believe the actual answer is that the loud sound itself "indirectly" causes a visual wave. This quote seems to point in that direction.

"Sound waves (through compressible media) cause temporary compression of the medium through which they travel. This compression temporarily raises the temperature. If the sound waves are intense enough, the temperature may rise to the point that the medium emits light. It is called sonoluminescence."
I do not think that’s relevant sadly… sonoluminescence is a phenomenon where a sound wave causes minute flashes of light in a liquid, believed to be related to minute bubbles forming and collapsing on the liquid. I believe it’s not been observed in air, certainly not at the sound levels that human eardrums could tolerate.
On the other hand the simple explanation of vibrations, especially bass frequencies, causing the camera to shake seems a perfectly good explanation without bringing in exotic science!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The crickets inside my head dig it.
I know, protect your ears or whatever. But long live rock and I would not have it any other way.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
After the first time i saw swans, my sense of balance glitched a little when i turned my head quickly for like the next few days. And i was wearing earplugs.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I was at an air show in the late 90's and saw an F14 do a max performance turn just at the threshold of the speed of sound. I felt two hard thumps on my chest as it past and it was a lot louder than any concert I've been to. Never saw anything in the air.

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
I love loud amps, so it was kinda obvious that I'd move to stoner and proto metal. I've been watching videos on how to dial in tone, and a lot of them have cameras placed within 50 feet of the amplifiers as they're cranked to enormous volumes. In many of these videos, you can clearly see the air moving, or at least the waves are vibrating the ground enough to shake the camera significantly.

My question was this: is this an issue with cameras, or have any of yall been at concerts so loud that you could see the air move?

On a sidenote, if Sunn O)))) comes to Houston, I'm gonna go to one of their concerts, and if I'm ever gonna see air move, it's gonna be there.
Whether indoors or outdoors, that band and that stage may have significant heat dissipation issues. Bands don't have huge fans blowing for nothing. Between the stage lights, the multiples of amps, the body heat, the power and backup power going, it gets way hot up there. You might as well be looking at a road in the Arizona desert in July, with the hot air rippling across the blacktop. Sizzlin'.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I went to an ELP concert that advertized 10 watts per person at the show to a sold out coliseum ,I had tinitus for 5 days afterwards ,not so much the levels but the frequencies were more of a killer " KarnEvil 9 " from brain salad surgery OMG

Bellacaster

Tele-Afflicted
Another Motorhead victim here. I saw them in Chicago in around 2005 and it was crazy loud. The hearing in my right ear hasn't, I don't think, ever been the same. Someone here mentioned that their ears felt waterlogged and I had that happen once. I saw Slayer at a small-ish venue when I was in high school. The next day at school walking down the hall, it felt like I was walking under water, like water was pushing against my eardrums. It went away after a few days.

Regarding seeing air move, I've never seen it, but have cranked up the Traynor YBA-1 and could feel the air from the speakers pushing against my jeans. It was cool but unsustainable.

Here's a quote from David Gilmour: "You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick.”

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
1996 NHRA Gator Nationals in Gainesville, Florida.
I was sitting about half track, ten rows up in the bleachers.
Two Nitro Methane Top fuel dragsters, Side by side, 300+ mph pass.
Not my first experience at the drag races, but my first with Top Fuel cars.
It literally vibrates your entire body including the liquid in your eyeballs.
It is an amazing and somewhat disconcerting feeling.
I’ll never ever forget it.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Loudest show I ever went to was Motley Crue back in the 80's, for 4 nights afterwards i was kept awake by the drums in my head.
Didn't see any air move though.
It was a good concert and I got to see a genuine penthouse pet in the crowd wearing just a body stocking and with a 7 foot tall boyfriend with a green mohawk keeping guard and Sabastian Bach from Skid Row was in the crowd.
For an 18 year old that was something else.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I have at festivals, but it was because of the heat. Not sure it did it in time to the music.