Has Anyone Seen A Rondo Guitar In The Wild?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Feb 24, 2020.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

B487CC76-E661-4E78-8771-3EBA132E344A.jpeg

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I own quite a few Rondos, mostly the ones not available anymore (AD201, AL2800x2, SJM, TC620, STL50, STL62, DC Jr). God help you if you heard me play them.

Prob the highest profile person I've seen play one is Kyle from The Sword. He played an Agile
    AL-2000 on one tour to save the Gibsons, according to his tech.

The aforementioned Nick Curren playing a lowly SX SJM is pretty impressive, given its place in the Rondo lineup. I think that guitar is one of the most interesting unique guitars put out by a budget manufacturer. Very vintage Fendery looking, good stock pickups, etc. It was my first Rondo purchase used & I've kept it.

3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a short scale Douglas violin bass. Sounds and plays fantastic. Feels cheap. Weighs nothing. I’ve never really played another violin bass, so I don’t know if they’re all like that.

I have another bass that’s made up of an SX Ursa I (P) body and an Ursa II (J) neck. I replaced everything else but the pickguard.

I’ve owned 3 Agile LP’s over the years.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have an SX Callisto, an LP Special knockoff with a fat neck and decent P90s. It was my #1 for about 18 months, before I got my Jazzmaster(s). Solid guitar.

5. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Laura Lee.She can afford something better,but still plays her SX Jazz.

middy likes this.
  6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

My brother has one of their bass guitars and one of their es-335 knock offs. They both are very good guitars for their price. I am an Ibanez guy or I would buy one myself.

7. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I see them pop up on our local Craigslist from time to time. I snagged a blue quilt LP style Agile for $100 eight or nine years ago off of CL. Its a decent guitar.

8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I have an Agile 2000 LP that I like a lot. It doesn't feel like a Gibson, but it is a nice guitar, and I paid $125 for it. The guitar I play the most is a Douglas singlecut with humbuckers. It's a great looking and feeling guitar. Other musicians who play it always guess that it's a lot more expensive piece - like many multiples of what it actually cost.

I did a complete fret level & crown and a good setup on the Douglas, and I had a tech do the Agile. Both benefitted greatly. I think most Rondo offerings are like that.

I'm comparing to my vintage 75 American Strat, CV 50s Tele, MIM Tele, and early 60's Guild Freshman - all good guitars. I think the Rondo stuff holds its own.

9. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

Saw an SX for sale at Guitar Center a month or so ago. I think it was seventy dollars. A strat style.

10. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I've owned two; an Agile Dauntless (LP, super heavy) and their Tele type, TC625. Loved them both but sold them to buy my American Special.

IMG_20160916_1412481_rewind_kindlephoto-19707205.jpg

11. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an Agile AD-201, which is like an LP Special, with a dogear P90 in the bridge, and a soapbar P90 in the neck. Kind of heavy, but a nice quality guitar.

I considered selling it, but it won't bring much on Craigslist and not worth the hassle of shipping. It may get handed down to someone interested in playing it, or I will rebuild it at some point.

12. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I've seen plenty of agiles and SX's for sale on my local craigslist over the years. I have never heard of a brice guitar.

13. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

I think Brice may only be basses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

I currently have 7 Rondo offerings. Two AL 3000m's, two 2800 AD, an Rk-500 Ric clone and a Sx STL50 tele style. Love them all. Here's a recent pic of the 2800 AD pair and the 2300 AD. All are older oop models. 20200126_202740.jpg 20170411_203852.jpg

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That is super cool, and I didn't know that. The Sword rocks
    I've got two of those
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and probably over a dozen Rondo guits altogether. Here's some, not all of em[​IMG] upload_2020-2-25_11-10-46.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-25_11-8-53.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    bender66 likes this.
  16. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

here is a picture of a "left handed" Douglas that I have had for several years. And, yes it still has mini pots in it. Douglas LH.jpg

17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've owned a ton of Agiles and have seen many SX brand guitars in pawn shops.

18. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Never heard of them ........

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I used to own an Agile AL3000. It was the best LP style guitar I ever played. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was getting into building guitars and needed money for tools. I've often thought about getting another because they're so danged good.

20. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I've had a few SX and Agile instruments over the years and gigged with most of them, so a few people may have seen those. I did a short tour in 2008 with a friend's band on which I played an SX SPB-57 (P-bass) as my main instrument, and in 2012 I used an Agile AL-2500 12-string Les Paul for a gig. Coincidentally, just a few weeks ago I sold that guitar to the guy I supported on the earlier tour, where it will joint an Agile doubleneck that he inherited from his father.

As far as seeing them myself in the wild, though, all I can recall are a small handful of craigslist ads, including one for an Agile Valkyrie that I bought and owned for a few years. I think many of the Agile models are great alternatives to Epiphones etc. for those who can't afford (or just don't want to pay for) Gibsons.

My favorite Agile models, which is actually a distinct design, is the AD series (like the yellow one @watercaster posted above). Agile models go in and out of production and I hadn't seen one of those in a while, but based on this thread I checked, and they had one AD-2250 in stock in vintage white, and I pulled the trigger on it! I can't tell what the difference is between the AD-2250 and the AD-2300 above---maybe ebony vs. rosewood neck?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.