1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone played there iPod through there guitar amp? amp??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by skoffco, Dec 16, 2010.

1. skoffco

skoffco Tele-Meister

Is this possible, can it be done? If so, what is needed to match these two devices up?

thanks for the help!

2. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I do it all the time in my Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic amp. I call it my 200 watt Ipod dock. :p

I run it through the accessory input from the headphone out on the Ipod and then into the accessory input on the rear of the amp. I had just plugged it into the guitar input originally with an adaptor for the 1/8" to 1/4" plug and it worked well, but I didn't like that because it took up one of the guitar inputs. So now I run the Ipod into a Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ and then into the accessory input and I can adjust my Ipod to taste with the EQ. Works great. I have it playing Christmas songs off Pandora right now on my wifes ITouch.

3. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I have a little Fender Frontman 25R practice amp for exactly this purpose. Not only can you plug in your iPod with a 1/8" stereo plug to 2 RCA adaptor cord (I got mine at the dollar store!) you can also practice through headphones and not wake up the wife and kids!!

I also picked up a set of wireless headphone for $20 at an electronics surplus store so I can move around without getting tangled or limited by conventional headphones' cord length, plus you can use it with your TV/home theatre setup for light nights.

My most recent purchase was a $40 iLive DVD/CD player with a built in Ipod dock that I've hooked up to the Frontman so I can play music and downloaded concert clips from Youtube, AND it charges the iPod too!

So for less than $150 bucks you can have a decent little "late night" practice rig!!!

Attached Files:

4. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

If you're in the market for a looper the Jamman Stereo will do it too.

5. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

That's the other part I forgot in my post above. The MAIN reason I plug into the accessory at the rear of my acoustic amp is because it is STEREO that way instead of MONO when plugging into the guitar input. Very important part. The Fish & Chips was an add on I did later when I found that I wanted to EQ my music from the Ipod through the Genz Benz. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the output.

I would question the quality coming out of an Electric amp instead of an acoustic amp or PA system. Without the tweeters you would miss out on much of the sound. With my Genz Benz I have the option of turning the tweeters on or off or even a setting for a decrease in the output of the tweeters. I actually rarely would turn my tweeters off because it is a dedicated acoustic amp/IPod dock for me. The only reason I could see turning them off was with an overly bright Pieazo tpye acoustic pickup or if I were to plug a POD or Boss GT type pedal in front and play electric through it, which I only have done a couple times in a pinch. Distortion coming through the guitar input would likely blow the tweeters in a heartbeat if cranked. When playing distortion type music through the IPod though, there is no problem. I have used mine on a couple of Neighborhood parties. I rolled it onto the deck in my rear yard which backs to the park and cranked the IPod for the whole afternoon. You could hear it throughout the whole block just great. There is something about a 200 watt IPod dock that I really like... :twisted:

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

+1 on the Fender Frontman 25R. Neat little amp.

7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Roland Microcube and an aux plug are all you need.

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Plug 'n Play...

Obvious probably but the G-DEC is a nice play-thru for practice or just listening to tunes between jams...

9. skoffco

skoffco Tele-Meister

I guess what I'm looking for is can the iPod/iPhone be connected directly into the same input jack that the guitar plugs into, or does it require a preamp device?

Darrell

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think you'll need any type of boost for the iPod since it surely has more output than most any passive guitar pickup. You'll just need the cables to adapt 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono.

I run mine into the PA system at the auditorium I run all the time. Sort of cool having this tiny little device driving 4800 watts of stereo power.

11. skoffco

skoffco Tele-Meister

Great, that's what I needed to know......Now I need to find a cheap decent 1/8 to 1/4 audio cable:)

DS

12. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

You can plug in directly with an adapter, been doing it for years, my Pignose just loves it on the boat and the pier. However, a note of caution about the 25r.......turn your ipod down first, it's volume is the one you'll hear as plugging it in with the rca jacks disables the controls of the amp, so it can be quite a loud surprise........

13. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

I've got a Genz Benz acoustic amp too, TaylorPlayer, a Shanendoah 60, a great amp! The Frontman is for quiet rehearsal only, it usually just drives the headphones, which have a good dynamic range and are well suited to an iPod/guitar setup. Fine for letting everyone sleep while I practice my Townshend windmills in the mancave!!

14. Adam Dowell

Adam Dowell NEW MEMBER!

15. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

In a pinch, you can play audio through your phone speaker, and put that speaker up close to your pickup to amplify the sound as if the pickup were a microphone.

I have a JamMan Stereo Delay and once recorded, you can slow down or speed up the tempo of a track.

CHAD

16. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I plug mine into one channel of my vintage magnatone and play throughout the other. I can also use the aux input of my mustang 3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.